Juicing

Options
Any yummy vegetable based juice recipes out there? I am retired, sedentary, and deathly overweight. I am opting for a healthier lifestyle rather than a specific diet. At 280 I have a long journey to health--any encouragement would be appreciated.

Replies

• krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Firstly, i would say eat the vegetables instead of blending cause it won't feel as filling if you re dieting down, secondly, you should rename this post as "shakes" or vegetables blends because juicing in the fitness world sounds like using steroids :) Good Luck! :wink:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of juicing recipes out there. My advice for juicing is to make sure you use a vegetable base with 1 or 2 fruits instead of having too many fruits. Have you seen Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? It's a good resource for juicing. I am not an advocate of juice fasting, but it's a great story. Also check out the website rebootwithjoe.com for recipes. It's very inspirational. Do what is best for you. Good luck!

One of my favorite green juices is
    - one green apple
    - half lemon
    - inch of ginger
    -one cucumber
    -5-6 kale leaves
    -2 stalks celery
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I took my juicer out of storage after a 12½ year hiatus. I actually never used it, but inherited it from my mother after she died of cancer and was on a juicing kick to help fight her cancer. She was given 6 months to live and lived for 12 and swore it was her juicing diet that kept her going.

So, anyway - I'm wondering. If you are removing the skins and pulp and things from the juice, do you have to supplement the fiber?
    I'm interested in finding recipes too because I know I don't get enough vegetables and I have a slight allergy to raw apples of any kind, raw pears and bananas and when I juice them, I don't have a reaction. So I'd like to find some recipes that use them.
  • All4Gavin
    All4Gavin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. It just may be the motivation you need. You can lose the weight no matter how much you have to lose. It's a process, but it can be done!!! Best of luck to you!!
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've JUST started juicing and found that I really love the taste of tomato, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, celery, and kale together. The yellow bell pepper and cucumber really tames the acidity of the tomato and give it a fresh light sweetness. This is the only non-fruit-laden (I know, tomato is technically a fruit, so I guess non-sweet) juice I've tried that I really liked. Good luck!! I don't know about juice fasting but I'm definitely trying to up my nutrients through juicing.
  • PRIMEJuicers
    PRIMEJuicers Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Any yummy vegetable based juice recipes out there? I am retired, sedentary, and deathly overweight. I am opting for a healthier lifestyle rather than a specific diet. At 280 I have a long journey to health--any encouragement would be appreciated.

Yes I never thought I'd like vegetable (green) juice, but they are delicious. There are lots of good websites to be found. Try www.rebootwithjoe.com and as one said, watch his movie. It's entertaining and inspiring.

Here's one of my favorite recipes:
    Can't be Beet
    2 to 3 carrots
    1/2 cucumber
    1/2 beet with greens

As for juicing, it's very healthy for the body. It allows your body to absorb more nutrients than if you were to eat whole fruits and vegetables. Of course, I still eat plenty of whole foods, but juicing is a great addition.

Best of luck to you and happy juicing!
  • PRIMEJuicers
    PRIMEJuicers Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I took my juicer out of storage after a 12½ year hiatus. I actually never used it, but inherited it from my mother after she died of cancer and was on a juicing kick to help fight her cancer. She was given 6 months to live and lived for 12 and swore it was her juicing diet that kept her going.

So, anyway - I'm wondering. If you are removing the skins and pulp and things from the juice, do you have to supplement the fiber?
    I'm interested in finding recipes too because I know I don't get enough vegetables and I have a slight allergy to raw apples of any kind, raw pears and bananas and when I juice them, I don't have a reaction. So I'd like to find some recipes that use them.

You ask a great question. When juicing and eating regularly, no you don't have to add fiber to the juice or supplement in anyway, assuming you're eating whole fruits and vegetables anyway. Salads are good for that. If you're juice fasting also no, you don't want fiber. The purpose of juice fasting is to give your digestive system a break.

As someone else mentioned, the movie Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead is awesome. I loved it. I don't juice fast for as long as he does in the movie and there are many alternatives to what he does. 24 hour to 3 day juice fasts are very beneficial. It helps to get my body back in balance. One of my favorite books is Juicing, Fasting and Detoxing For Life. It has lots of good information and a guide to juice fasts. Best of luck to you and happy juicing!