calories burned cycling "spin class"

Options
So, I finally remembered to wear my Heart rate monitor watch to class this am and it said I burned just under 800 calories. I always assumed I burned around 600. Could this be right? I think the watch works correctly because when I do strength training it only says 250-300. Any advice from fellow HRM users?

Replies

• Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    That's about what I burn in an hour cycle class with vigorous effort.
  • leslie626
    leslie626 Posts: 12
    Options
    I would definitely say so...since you are wearing a strap that is "connected" to your heart rate I would think that this is the most accurate!! That's great!! Congratulations
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    They say it is about 700 calories you burn per hour. I spin also and I asked my instructor and did some research. Although HRM are a great tool there was aslo a recent study stating HRM overcalculate calories burned by as much as 30 percent. So I am sure it may be in the same ballpark, but it might give you a little more then what is accurate.

Either way you are probably burning at least 700 in spin class. Isn't that class just wonderful
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I usually burn around 500 calories in an hour class. It is kind of hard to give you a definitive answer since every person is different. Does you HRM have the chest strap. Those tend to be more acurate. I would say you need to do a couple classes and if the final numbers are the same and you use about the same effort then you know you are doing good. I have several weeks of running on the same route and them same times and my HRM calorie count is within about 15 calories. Spin classes for me have a wider range depending on the instructor and how I am feeling. But I know when I go to a class I am going to burn around 500 calories.
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. I burn between 500-550 calories on a regular bike... 13 miles for 60 minutes keeping my heart rate about 167 to 172 the whole time.
    So adding the jumps and everything else a spinning class intails I am sure your monitor is right. Doesn't that feel good to burn all that!!
  • Vonne
    Vonne Posts: 33
    Options
    It feels great, this was the first am spin class I went to. I feel so full of energy, I love it. No, it doesn't have the strap...just the watch so maybe it is slightly high. But I'll take 700 anyday!
  • RhondaCrombie
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE spin!! :bigsmile: Enjoy those calories flying off your body.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It is almost certainly an overestimate--by at least 20%.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I burn usually somewhere between 700-800 calories according to my HRM (with strap). and usually log it as 650 just to be on the safe side, I do the same with zumba, I generally burn about 750 cals (in a 75 min class) and log 650 I log 550 on a 1 hour class as I usually burn about 650....

I figure I deduct about 100 cals on the 1hour + activities, and about 50 on the less then an hour activities (walking the dog lets say, or 30 min jog) just to make sure im safe :o)

And even though I've deducted a few to be safe I still try not to eat ALL of the calories, as the poster above me said it is more then likely an over estimate and I don't want to eating too much!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you enjoyed spinning class because it is a great way to burn lots of calories in a relatively short amount of time. I burn about 750-800 calories during an hour spinning class depending on the type of class (endurance, intervals, hills, etc.) So the number on your watch was probably accurate. The spinning shorts with the cushion in the rear are so helpful in eliminating discomfort and allowing you to sit as far back on the seat as you can which gives you good form. The clip in spinning shoes will allow you to engage your hamstring muscles more than just putting your feet in the slots on the bike. Keep up all the calorie burning!
  • Vonne
    Options
    Ok so going by it being 20% off, I burned 640. Makes me wonder about something else, the instructor saying people burn from 600-900 calories isn't true...? More like 500-700?
  • Vonne
    Options
    ckstacey, how do you know what you're burning? Do you use a HRM with strap?
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I usually burn about 750 in a burn class. But for every hour I exercise, I subtract about 100 calories as that is my resting heart rate, so usually only count about 600 to 650.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I don't deduct anything because your body burns calories like crazy for the hour after intense exercise and at a rate approx 15% greater than normal for the next 12-48 hours after exercise. So, I figure I'm burning extra calories after exercise, so I'll go with what my HRM says. =) It motivates me to see all those calories burned.

Try it out, wear your HRM for an hour before exercise then wear it for an hour after exercise. Note the difference in calories burned at rest.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    an hours running at 6mph barely burns off 600 calories, so a one hour spin class would have to be VERY intense to match that. clearly quite an overestimate!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    an hours running at 6mph barely burns off 600 calories, so a one hour spin class would have to be VERY intense to match that. clearly quite an overestimate!

again you can't really make a blanket statement like that because it depends on the weight and fitness of the person. I am much heavier then you, so if i ran at 6mph I'd likely burn more then you... as I do with spin :) and spin can be VERY intensive/aggressive :)
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options

again you can't really make a blanket statement like that because it depends on the weight and fitness of the person. I am much heavier then you, so if i ran at 6mph I'd likely burn more then you... as I do with spin :) and spin can be VERY intensive/aggressive :)

Yes...EVERYONE is different...if you weigh 135lbs vs. 200 its a major difference. I would not listen to any of these statements....get a good HRM with a chest strap and I trust what it says.....its worth the $100.00, I LOVE mine!
  • Joltrop
    Joltrop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My burn rate for running is 550 cals for a 35 min run (29 mins at between 144 and 165 bpm) ~942 per hour
    Pace 10:31 (5.71 mph)

Burn rate for spin class was 831 cals for 55 min class (39 mins between 144 and 165 bpm) ~906 per hour

I don't see it a being much of a stretch for a person to increase their own intensity to a point where they have parity between the burn rate running and spin.