Question: anyone know exercises to do when healing from a di

Options
Hi,
I was doing really good on dieting and exercising and lost 15lbs, then a freak accident(unrelated to working out) caused my rib to become dislocated. I am finally after about 3 and a half weeks starting to heal, and need suggestions on some cardio I could do that would be low impact and wouldn't include pulling, pushing, lifting, twisting etc. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Replies

• himbrogno
    Options
    I would suggest wrapping your ribs and doing a lite walk on a treadmill or outside
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    The only thing that comes to mind is cycling. If you have access to an recombant exercise bike, it would probably be the most comfortable.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    walking? or possibly swimming ?
  • alissaanne
    Options
    Thanks :) I have a gym membership and they have the bikes, that is kind of what I was thinking too...hope it will help. I am so frustrated because I am a runner...I love to get pumped from my music and run hard, so it will be a change of pace but better than nothing!
  • alissaanne
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I will def try light walking...the swimming however might be painful though. I just hope I can get better by summer :happy:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to say good luck. I can totally sympathize, today is the first day off from wearing my air cast. I had a stress fracture and haven't been able to do any cardio for 9 weeks. It has been hard but I honestly believe now that if you just keep your diet in check, you'll be just fine. I was so worried about gaining weight back.
    Hugs!
  • alissaanne
    Options
    Thank you! Good luck with yours! Yes I was so worried about gaining the weight back that I got super depressed and sabotaged my own diet! I figured since I can't get out of bed I am just going to eat junk food...bad idea lol...but I only gained 2lbs back so I didn't cause too much harm! :happy:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing (several times) and did gain a few lbs but with the help and encouragement of friends on here, I decided that I might not be able to do cardio but I COULD control what I eat and it made a world of difference. Sending you healing vibes!!!
    Thank you! Good luck with yours! Yes I was so worried about gaining the weight back that I got super depressed and sabotaged my own diet! I figured since I can't get out of bed I am just going to eat junk food...bad idea lol...but I only gained 2lbs back so I didn't cause too much harm! :happy:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Instead of full bore swimming where you definitely would be twisting and using your upper body, try aqua jogging or using the kick board to do laps. I think you will find that will give you a great workout without jarring your ribs, yet you will still get some core/upper body action - just enough to slowly rehab those muscles.