The Extraordinary Science of Junk Food

Options
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=1&hpw

Great article about how food companies tweak their foods to make them more addictive and crave-inducing.

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    didnt read the article but sure why not they need to pay their bills too
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Yes, but doing so at the expense of the health of their clients is the issue, IMO. And they know that this is exactly the tradeoff they are making.

Read the article, it's worth the time.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but look at big tobacco, totally the same story with them as well. In it to make a buck. Is it right? No, but it's there.

On another note, I think it was Coca-Cola that actually posted something about them being aware that drinking soda can make you fat...kind of made a big splash about it. I'll look for the YouTube video and post it.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what's wrong with helping to send people to early graves with obesity if it pays the bills? :noway: Next you'll be dissing crack dealers. Those guys have to make ends meet to you know. Don't judge! :wink:
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Great article, thanks for sharing! Reaffirms my decision to try not to eat this kind of crap anymore. :sick:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    A New York Times article on why food companies are evil? I'm shocked! Of course, any excuse someone wants to use for lacking self control is fine with me. It's their life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Srsly?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    A New York Times article on why food companies are evil? I'm shocked! Of course, any excuse someone wants to use for lacking self control is fine with me. It's their life.

Food conglomerates are purposely addicting people to substances that will destroy their health. Why should we blame their victims? Shouldn't we blame drug peddlers who set out to addict children to street drugs? The food processors are taking advantage of the ignorance of people who eat their crap. That is why we need to help people to understand the deadly nature of junk food.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Food conglomerates are purposely addicting people to substances that will destroy their health. Why should we blame their victims? Shouldn't we blame drug peddlers who set out to addict children to street drugs? The food processors are taking advantage of the ignorance of people who eat their crap. That is why we need to help people to understand the deadly nature of junk food.

Sure. Keep playing victim and encouraging others to do the same. Those of us leading healthy lives will continue to look on in utter amazement at the self delusion.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options

We can only be victims if we accept it. I for one isn't going to blame junk food for being fat. I did this to my self and I am taking action to rectify it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Srsly?

Jeesh I was being silly. Of course it's not a good thing but addiction is how they maintain a hold on the consumer. MSG has no flavor but it is a very common additive because it tells the brain that this is yummy. It's not surprising to me they are in the business to make money.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Srsly?

Jeesh I was being silly. Of course it's not a good thing but addiction is how they maintain a hold on the consumer. MSG has no flavor but it is a very common additive because it tells the brain that this is yummy. It's not surprising to me they are in the business to make money.
    whew
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Sure. Keep playing victim and encouraging others to do the same. Those of us leading healthy lives will continue to look on in utter amazement at the self delusion.

The fact that said food companies aren't literally putting a gun to my head to eat their products doesn't negate the ethical concerns. It's more complex than blaming either the companies or the consumers.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That was fascinating! Thanks for sharing that article.

It really makes me want to try as hard as I can to give up my prepackaged type foods. And by low sodium of as many things as I can.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Yeah, but look at big tobacco, totally the same story with them as well. In it to make a buck. Is it right? No, but it's there.

On another note, I think it was Coca-Cola that actually posted something about them being aware that drinking soda can make you fat...kind of made a big splash about it. I'll look for the YouTube video and post it.

Except that big tobacco was forced to publicly admit that their product was killing people. And note that in the article a Coca-Cola executive is quoted about how difficult it is to attract new customers, so getting current ones to consume more is the thrust of their advertising.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

Perhaps you should read the article before dissing the source. Just an idea.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    It's always anybodies fault but your own. Stupid Leftist ideology has taken over everywhere in our society. It's called personal responsibility ... get some.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

The fact that said food companies aren't literally putting a gun to my head to eat their products doesn't negate the ethical concerns. It's more complex than blaming either the companies or the consumers.

Are you saying that perhaps you would like to see people better educated about these products so they can make better/healthier decisions?! :noway: Stop playing victim! :explode: I hope you enjoy getting laughed at by those superior beings who are amazed that others want to share information about unhealthy choices. :wink: