Clean Eating?

Options
Is it hype? hokum?...or is there really something to it?.I spent a few hours today reading as much as i could. But would like some ideals or input from anyone. thanks in advance

Replies

• MegsHutch90
    MegsHutch90 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I asked the same questions about 2 months ago. I had started taking a nutrition class and realized how truly horribly processed foods are for the human body. I also came across a website called 100daysofrealfood.com that is all about clean eating, and has a 100 day challenge. My brother and I decided we would take a 50 day challenge.. best decision. We are both healthier, have more energy, and have found so many wonderful foods! We have learned kitchen creativity as well.

We are finished with the challenge, but neither of us intends to go back to eating processed foods.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I don't eat clean 100% of the time, but what I loved the most was how alert I am after removing most of my processed snacks. I've also been able to lose weight while not starving. I can't afford to go all organic, but the vegetables just taste better to me. I'm enjoyingthe fact that I know what I'm eating. I don't need a doctorate in Chemistry to understand what I'm eating.
  • timeforme_2013
    timeforme_2013 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cool that just happens to be one of the sites i looked at, think im gonna give this a try, Im 46 and feel like crap, but i am a processed food junkie, But I am grandmother now and would like to live a long time, thanks !
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes it works I am doing clean 98% of the time and my skin and hair is even looking better. I have more energy too. After doing this diet for over a month one day I was in a hurry and ate a lean cuisine omsh was I sick after that. And eating clean is basically what they did in the good ole days before all this frozen processed food and fast food.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm curious. What is Clean Eating?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat cleaner than I used to, but I still have some processed foods for convenience. It's made a big difference in how I feel.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Definitions vary...pretty much limiting processed foods and eating more whole foods. For some it's complete elimination of processed foods...I can't quite take it that far though.
  • timeforme_2013
    Options
    whole foods only, no boxed or processed food, fresh fruit and veggies, lean meat's, im still reading more about it though.http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I love eating clean, part from the past week i have doing really well..i go by my own guide lines of just not eating anything that is man made!( as i don't know what other peoples thoughts that clean eating are) I try eat freerange/organic when i can but its pricey! i also stay away from all starchy veg and white carbs like potatoes and rice even tho potatoes are veg.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Is it hype? hokum?...or is there really something to it?.I spent a few hours today reading as much as i could. But would like some ideals or input from anyone. thanks in advance

For me, I don't see it as a "thing" - it's just normal eating!! But then I've never really eaten ready meals or much processed stuff. You can get fat from eating too much clean food!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I love eating clean, part from the past week i have doing really well..i go by my own guide lines of just not eating anything that is man made!( as i don't know what other peoples thoughts that clean eating are) I try eat freerange/organic when i can but its pricey! i also stay away from all starchy veg and white carbs like potatoes and rice even tho potatoes are veg.

Potaotes and whole grain rice are clean foods, organic is a farce - in the UK it is anyway, I think it possibly has more gravitas in the US
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Definitions vary...pretty much limiting processed foods and eating more whole foods. For some it's complete elimination of processed foods...I can't quite take it that far though.
    ^^this is pretty much it. You eat 6 meals a day. Eat a combination of lean protein and complex carbohydrates at each meal. Depend on fresh fruit and vegetables for fiber, vitamins, and nutrients. Avoid over processed foods, white flour and sugar. Avoid chemically charged foods. Avoid foods containing preservatives. There's some prep work required to eat this way, but it's not all that time consuming. For me, it was the time I was laid out eating chips and watching tv.
  • tropicpalm
    tropicpalm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just saw a promo for the next Dr, Oz show that is supposed to focus on the additives in processed foods that are put there for the sole purpose of getting consumers addicted to that food. If that's not a reason to leave it on the shelf, I don't know what is!

The less processed food you eat, the less you crave it. And, your sweet tooth will be satisfied with whole fresh foods - fruits and nuts - and your taste buds will wake up!

I feel a whole lot better when I eat clean.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Eh. I think it's kind of silly to call it "clean eating". How about just saying you're going to try to eat less processed foods and more veggies and lean protein? How about just saying EATING HEALTHIER!?

There's really no such thing as "eating clean", especially given all the pesticides and GMOs you encounter just eating fresh produce. Not to mention various things in dairy products. You're never really going to factor out the unnatural or chemical-ridden element. It's just kind of part of our food system.
  • timeforme_2013
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all your input, me thinks I'm gonna start tomorrow!!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Aside from any health benefits, it's just nice to know what you're actually eating.

I find it impossible to do 100% but try to stick to mostly unprocessed. Can't do without dairy though, so until I get my own cows and chickens :/ I'll have to make do.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    There's really no such thing as "eating clean", especially given all the pesticides and GMOs you encounter just eating fresh produce. Not to mention various things in dairy products. You're never really going to factor out the unnatural or chemical-ridden element. It's just kind of part of our food system.

You are right, but I am sure going to try my best. I shop organic when it's available and I avoid dairy and animal products. I am not afraid of potatoes either. They are one of my staples. Eating this way does not come with a guarantee, but I feel so much better and got off all my medications. I am saving a ton of money on food and pharmacy bills. (The food is delicious too)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

Potaotes and whole grain rice are clean foods, organic is a farce - in the UK it is anyway, I think it possibly has more gravitas in the US

yeah i know, I'm just saying i avoid them.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix, watch the documentary "Hungry for Change." It gives good insight about clean eating without getting too propaganda-ey.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Love the 100days site.

I think the key is that it's all a goal. You focus on eating clean, whole, unprocessed foods. It's not a diet, you don't give up when you eat at taco bell, you just focus forward on fueling your body and eliminating processed junk.

Wish the 100days site was around back when I was learning how to eat.