Measuring meat

Fit147
Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
So I purchased a food scale and after the first meal with it, I am surprised! I had one pound of hamburger divided into four patties for the grill. In theory, each is 4 oz. but when they came off the grill, they were each 2.5-2.6 ounces each! I had been underestimating my amount of protein by 40%. This digital scale was purchased off of Amazon and had good reviews - a great $15 investment.

Replies

• frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    i measure before i cook, and make sure its entered as "raw" or "uncooked"

i love my scale. it really totally changed my whole world actually KNOWING what i was really eating...you just cant guess.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Make sure to log the meat as it weighed uncooked, not cooked.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    You realize that when you cook meat, it loses moisture and fat is rendered off, right?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    I love my scale. What thought was 3 oz of meat was actually only 2. More for me.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    You realize that when you cook meat, it loses moisture and fat is rendered off, right?

This. You should be weighing before.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    I don't even know why I clicked on this since I don't eat meat but.....the database should tell you if it is for uncooked/raw or not. I don't know what I would do without my food scale and measuring cups/spoons.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    I really don't understand weighing meat before cooking. It not like I am eating all that fat that dropped off my meat while grilling. It always confuses me why I would count calories for stuff I don't actually eat. Are the calories for most foods measured before cooking? Not trying to hijack this thread but was hoping for some more information to add to the posters question.
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Generally speaking, you are weighing food the way it comes in the package (before cooking). I realized I was weighing food after cooking it and subsequently eating more than I should have or not enough. Pasta was a big culprit. I had to weigh out my portion first and cook it in a different pot because the 75g turned into 217g after it was cooked. Same with chicken strips which weigh more frozen. If you are measure out your portion after cooking, you will be getting more grams (and more calories) than you think.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I clicked on this in hopes that men would start discussing measuring meat.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    I always weigh it pre-cooking but have to say I have wondered about the fat drippings too.
  • Temperature is very important. If it's cold, you'll get very misleading and low numbers.
    Often I make sure it is warm and ask for help to ensure I measure it properly.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    I measure mine while using a snicker bar as the unit of measurement.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member

Me too. There was not ONE "use a ruler!" comment. /disappoint
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Also, what fat content of meat are you buying. Sounds like 60%-ish. Try less than 10% fat and watch for sales. Also make sure the selection matches your purchase.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    I measure after and record it as "grilled" (or whatever) and hope that is taken in to account.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,302 Member
    I can't believe it took ten posts beofore someone mentioned the title...

Also. Measure your bacon according to the package.

.grr.edit I cannot for the life of me type.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member

Me too. There was not ONE "use a ruler!" comment. /disappoint

Wow, my mind didn't even go there...I must not be feeling well. lol! :wink:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I always weigh it pre-cooking but have to say I have wondered about the fat drippings too.

In the food industry, nutritionals are based on uncooked weight generally. This is particularly true of meats.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    I really don't understand weighing meat before cooking. It not like I am eating all that fat that dropped off my meat while grilling. It always confuses me why I would count calories for stuff I don't actually eat. Are the calories for most foods measured before cooking? Not trying to hijack this thread but was hoping for some more information to add to the posters question.
    If you eat something raw, weigh it uncooked and enter it as uncooked.

If you eat something cooked, weigh it cooked and enter it as cooked.

Most everything has entries for both in the database.

Food labels of a food, bacon for example, give you the raw info, but if you cook it and don't eat the fat left in the pan, it really changes quite dramatically. Search the database for "Pork - Cured, bacon, cooked, broiled, pan-fried or roasted" and in the dropdown menu, compare the nutrition info between 1 raw slice and 1 cooked slice.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    If you eat something raw, weigh it uncooked and enter it as uncooked.

If you eat something cooked, weigh it cooked and enter it as cooked.

Most everything has entries for both in the database.

Food labels of a food, bacon for example, give you the raw info, but if you cook it and don't eat the fat left in the pan, it really changes quite dramatically. Search the database for "Pork - Cured, bacon, cooked, broiled, pan-fried or roasted" and in the dropdown menu, compare the nutrition info between 1 raw slice and 1 cooked slice.

Listen to this guy, he's a bacon doctor.