Fat Free Ranch vs. Light Ranch

Options
Ranch is my favorite dressing, however I know that it's also one of the worst for you. I still want to be able to eat Ranch except I am wanting to eat a better version of the Regular. I've tried Light Ranch, thought it was good, but have never tried Fat Free Ranch. What I am mostly wondering is which one is better all around when losing weight (not the taste)?

On another note, I do realize that dressing isn't completely healthy & maybe some are not at all. However, I'm not cutting it completely out, instead using it in moderation. (:

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    LIGHT RANCH by FAAAAR! In my opinion, light ranch still has the yummy ranch taste but with far fewer calories. When going to fat-free ranch, you aren't losing THAT MANY more calories (from the light), but you ARE losing a lot of taste! I rarely ever buy anything fat-free when it is a fat-based food. Ie. things like ranch dressing and cream cheese and such are fat foods so in order for them to taste natural, they have to have some fat in them. I would rather eat a couple more calories and enjoy what I am eating. You can try fat-free if you want, but I definitely will never buy it again. My favourite is light peppercorn ranch. Yum!

Edit: I also see no reason to cut out dressing. Since I've been eating healthier I've learned to use a LOT less (really just enough for a taste) and if it gets people to eat more salads, it is worth it, IMO!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Unless ranch dressing composes a significant portion of your entire diet then I'd say it doesn't matter. Count the calories and choose whichever one you enjoy more for the calories it costs you.
  • jcnut21
    jcnut21 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Eat the light ranch. If you eat fat free ranch, it doesn't have the fats that are necessary for your body to absorb the nutrients of whatever you're eating the dressing on, such as salad, veggies etc.

And it light ranch tastes way better anyways :)
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Regular Buttermilk Ranch :D
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I don't eat enough of it to worry about it, I normally use about a tbsp for a salad, but when I do, I make my own, and fat free or light is not an option.......Where did you ever get the idea that it's one of the worst dressing..........it's tasty and low calorie in the context of daily calories and it's purpose in enjoying ones food.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    The yogurt ranch is good. Bolthouse farms makes one in the refrigerated section by the produce.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Unless ranch dressing composes a significant portion of your entire diet then I'd say it doesn't matter. Count the calories and choose whichever one you enjoy more for the calories it costs you.

Agreed. Both have pluses/minuses. I would go with regular and all natural.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Regular Buttermilk Ranch :D

^ Yes!
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Really wanting to try this one....

http://www.bolthouse.com/product/classicranch
  • Bigsexy290
    Options
    Have you tried making your own with the powdered ranch? Pretty good:bigsmile:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I eat full fat dressings on salads. Dip your fork in dressing (that is on the side) with each bite, you'll consume a lot less than dumping it on. I find that 2 tablespoons is MORE than enough for a large salad and 60 calories isn't going to a giant difference. If I am using in say a dip, I use light. I never, ever use fat free. It's just gross.
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Neither one. Both have added sugar and carbs and don't taste all that great. Just learn to use regular Ranch sparingly.
  • ladyhaelstorm
    Options
    Not sure where you live, but if you have a Trader Joe's nearby I would reccomend their Parmesan Ranch. It is 30calories for 2tbs and it is a thin dressing so it mixes easily onto salads, I actually usually only need half a serving. I used to only use regular ranch dressing, but you can't beat the taste and cal of the Parmesan Ranch I use now!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I eat full fat dressings on salads. Dip your fork in dressing (that is on the side) with each bite, you'll consume a lot less than dumping it on.

Excellent idea! I never would have thought of that!
  • jencoz04
    jencoz04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ranch-dressing-ii/

I use this recipe but use cottage cheese instead of mayo. I mix in my bullet to make creamy I will use milk to make it the desired consistency. It is so yummy & pretty healthy for you.
  • Bookworm_Chris
    Bookworm_Chris Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing is the one instance where I don't do FF or Light. I buy the regular version,, and just use less. Look at the labels closely, You may lose calories/fat in the Light/FF versions, but they also add more sugar and/or sodium to them. My trick is one of two things: For dipping with veggies, I mix the dry ranch with low-fat sour cream (you still get the yummy ranch taste, plus you can have a larger portion than if it were just dressing). Spread it on tortillas for wraps, etc.

Or you could make your own in a food processor. I believe the basic recipe is 1c buttermilk, 1c mayo (light/low fat versions could be used for both), 1 clove garlic, and some chopped scallions. Its fresh, and you know everything that's in it..
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    When I started this program, I bought a bottle of the fat-free.
    Threw it out after one try.
    Bought a bottle of the light.
    Threw it out after one try.
    Now, I just use the regular and use less of it.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Fat Free is nasty! I think light ranch is too, but mostly b/c I don't like bottled ranch, I like the powder and the buttermilk kind. But I'm agreeing with the folks about light vs fat free. Light sour cream I like, fat free not as much. And for cottage cheese I want the 4% milk fat- there's not enough calorie difference benefit for me to go light or non-fat. And for cooking purposes if it's an ingredient that's got fat in light would be the better option so it incorporates more better into the recipe.
  • JaclynSPR13
    JaclynSPR13 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try using plain fat free greek yogurt and the hidden valley ranch mix (powder) to make your own dressing. Thin it out with fat free milk if it is too think for you. Tastes great, low calories, and you get some protein!
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Fat-free ranch is nasty, IMO. Light is better.