Mexican 3-Bean Salad

Options
pocketmole
pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
I whipped this Mexican bean salad up tonight and it turned out so good that I had to share it. It's not exactly beautiful to look at, but it's fairly low cal, has protein and fiber, and it takes about 5 minutes to throw together. :)

mexicanbean_md.jpg

1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 cup (approx, I just grabbed a big handful) of green beans
1 avocado
1 lime
Chopped cilantro
Seasoning (I season to taste and used a bit of salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder - not too much chili because I didn't want to alter the green color from the avocado too much)

Mash the avocado with the juice from 1/2-1 lime, depending on the size of it and how limey you like things. Stir in about a quarter cup of chopped, fresh cilantro. Add in your seasonings. Sorry I don't have exact measurements, just remember you can always add more but you can't easily take away - so add slowly if you're not confident :)

Rinse and drain your canned beans well. Add to the avocado mash.

Trim the green beans, cut into bite sized pieces, and microwave just a little bit to blanch them (you could leave them raw too, but I wanted to make them a little less fibrous). Rinse under cool water and add to the avocado.

Stir everything together and serve! Super easy. I divided this into 5 servings (we ate them on the side with spinach tamales) and it came out to 208 calories, 5g fat, 11g protein, and 9g fiber.

Replies