A cycle to the wieght loss process

pixietwilight
pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I just wanted to see if this happens to anyone else and maybe help to understand why. I am not bothered by this I just want to understand the physics behind it.

This was my week a - 5 lbs weight loss. I usually spend 8-10 days when I don't lose anything :mad: , so it is very possible that I will be the same for the next 6 days or so. I have noticed a very definite pattern to my weight loss. I lose between 4 to 7 lbs in like 3-5 days:bigsmile: and then nothing for 8 to 10 :ohwell: . Then it repeats :smile: ( this has happened 3 times). This has been happening for the past 6 weeks. That is how my body works but I wanted to know does anyone have any thoughts or insights on this.

BTW : I weigh myself everyday and no I can't stop my OCD won't let me :laugh:

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    I have a similar cycle. I will drop 1 or 2 pounds all at once (in one day), and then over the next 5or 6 days, go up about a pound and then come back down to where I was, or even a little lower. I don't let this bother me, as long as the general trend over several days is downward. I figure it is water retention, etc.

And I weigh every day, too. Always have. That way I catch an upward trend immediately. But, again, I don't worry if I am up for a day or two. The general trend has been down now for 3 months!!! Almost 20 lbs.!!!
  • pixietwilight
    good for you tigerblue!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I just wanted to see if this happens to anyone else and maybe help to understand why. I am not bothered by this I just want to understand the physics behind it.

This was my week a - 5 lbs weight loss. I usually spend 8-10 days when I don't lose anything :mad: , so it is very possible that I will be the same for the next 6 days or so. I have noticed a very definite pattern to my weight loss. I lose between 4 to 7 lbs in like 3-5 days:bigsmile: and then nothing for 8 to 10 :ohwell: . Then it repeats :smile: ( this has happened 3 times). This has been happening for the past 6 weeks. That is how my body works but I wanted to know does anyone have any thoughts or insights on this.

BTW : I weigh myself everyday and no I can't stop my OCD won't let me :laugh:

Our bodies do need to have a bit of rest perhaps that's why yours drops lbs. then takes a break. That's a big loss each time for you so perhaps you are someone that just happens to drop the lbs. all at once then a bit more time has to pass and it drops some more. I think our bodies are all so different and vary on loss amounts. Also depends on fluid retention and our bodies normally go up and down throughout the day.

I think it's a good idea not to weigh daily for that very reason, the frustration. BUT I do understand many on here do the same, weight daily or even more often than that.

It would frustrate the heck out of me just like it used to years ago when I would 'diet' weighing myself every few minutes!:blushing: :laugh:

I don't weigh very often anymore if I'm eating healthy not much reason to., but that's simply me!:flowerforyou::tongue:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    I weigh everyday too! I found this article http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100256028&page=1

My weight loss has a pattern also. Except the last 3 weeks, I have weighed the same. =(
  • pixietwilight
    thank you healthy changes

great article lvfunandfit i will most definitely share.
This discussion has been closed.