BLT sandwich

Options
jazzcat55
jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
I am determined to lighten up as many of my favorite foods as I can!

Two slices of Sara Lee 45-calorie whole wheat bread, two slices of Jennie-O turkey bacon, half a tablespoon of canola mayo, and two slices of tomato. Delish, and only 176 calories!

Oops, forgot to include the lettuce. That probably adds what, 5 calories?

Replies

• michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I am determined to lighten up as many of my favorite foods as I can!

Two slices of Sara Lee 45-calorie whole wheat bread, two slices of Jennie-O turkey bacon, half a tablespoon of canola mayo, and two slices of tomato. Delish, and only 176 calories!

Oops, forgot to include the lettuce. That probably adds what, 5 calories?

YUM!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good!! :-)
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've been using www.skinnytaste.com to find "skinny" versions of foods that I love. Tonight I made a Caesar Salad dressing that was great (and easy)!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Dude, turkey bacon is like Frankenbacon, sooo processed and high in sodium. I'd try to go "healthier" with a BLT by using low-sodium or uncured bacon, fried crispy and blotted dry.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    when i used to work @ sonic (when i was 180+ pounds) i used to make myself blt's minus the l...extra t and extra extra b, and a TON of mayo..makes me miss being fat..and working there..LoL..i love blts as healthier too :wink: i buy 50% less sodium bacon, and bake it in the oven..more fat seems to come out, but of course, i place a paper towel underneath and on top to get more fat off too
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    another good alternative to bacon is fried ham.

dunno if it is any better for you, although usually it has less fat and you can get it sliced thinner.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I think lettuce would probably add even fewer than 5 calories, depending on how much you use obviously.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a BBLT - that's back bacon (or Canadian bacon, for you non Canadians) lettuce and tomato on whole grain bread and light mayo. Back bacon is great - you can use a generous amount with no shrinkage, little fat and a useful quantity of protein while still revelling in the salty, smoky yumminess of bacon.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Dude, turkey bacon is like Frankenbacon, sooo processed and high in sodium. I'd try to go "healthier" with a BLT by using low-sodium or uncured bacon, fried crispy and blotted dry.

I hadn't heard of uncured bacon, so I just googled it. Very educational. Looks like the calories are similar, too. Thanks for the tip!