Whyyyyy? What is happening?

Options
2»

Replies

• Candida1983
    Options
    Easy with it. You're going hardcore and you could end up burning yourself out. Stress can cause you to gain, so step back, take a breather, increase your cal intake like everyone said, and ease back into it. You'll do great. You are already. :smile:
  • sp7991
    sp7991 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ideal time for weighing is early morning before any food. In day time because of water fluctuation you may misguided !
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

3rd. You might want to get your proper working target heart rate by using the Karvonen Heart Rate Method, by working out and having your heart rate bpm in your proper range you will be burning fat instead of muscle, blood glucose etc.

Fat burning zone is a myth. Always better to work out at a higher intensity. You'll burn more fat overall and more total calories. It's more about total calorie burn for the calorie in vs calorie out approach.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You are not a machine. Your an organic being that is massively complex. You can compare this all to fixing a car, but really its not the same. I live in a 5 - 10 pound swing range of weight as I go down. You had a good run, now its just going to fluctuate a bit. Either jog your system or wait a bit. If its a month or so, then you hit a platue. Really just keep calm for now. :flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You are not a machine. Your an organic being that is massively complex. You can compare this all to fixing a car, but really its not the same. I live in a 5 - 10 pound swing range of weight as I go down. You had a good run, now its just going to fluctuate a bit. Either jog your system or wait a bit. If its a month or so, then you hit a platue. Really just keep calm for now. :flowerforyou:

This. Weight loss is not linear. Relax
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ^^agreed. You also need to remember that water weight is impacted by our cycles as well as a bunch of other things. Water weight can mask 'real' weight loss.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options

I would agree with Bill... I also have big fluctuations as well and since I weight everyday I notice them. Hiding the scale definitely won't make you lose weight!.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Your diary is within your calorie range, but perhaps keeping the fruits to one per day and adding some leafy greens, in their place. I find it difficult to lose if I have too many carbs even if they are fruit. Nuts are another thing that can sometimes slow the scale for me. I try to keep it to almonds and I try to limit them to a few times per week. 'm also a big believer in the water, and lots of it.

The body can be a mysterious machine at times, and what works for one person may not help another. This is a lifelong journey and can require quite a bit of tweaking to find what works for you long term. I don't deal with TOM anymore, but when I did the 2 weeks prior to that were HELL for me and the scale.

When I was younger I lived and died by the number on the scale, DAILY. Made for a miserable day sometimes. Now I try to rely more heavily on monthly measurements and the way my pants fit. Weighing can become OCD, it's easy to say stop doing it but much harder to heed that advice.

You are doing well, weighing measuring, running, these are all great habits that will help your continued success. Take a deep breath and hang in there. You will reach your goal!
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? You want to be close to 8, 8oz glasses or 1/2 of your body weight. If you are drinking enough water you usually will not retain it, as you will be well hydrated and your body does not need to.

Also if you are not eating enough calories for your body, it will think it is starving and start to store fat... the key is to regulate your blood sugars.... check out " The Blood Sugar Solution" by Mark Hyman, he also has a good website... very informative.

When I first started loosing weight back in 2003 while taking weight traing and nutrition... I had a similar problem, my first 10-15lbs melted off, then it seemed like I was gianing... it was because I was not drinking enough water and eating enough "healthy" calories... once I adjusted, I started loosing again, until the scale stopped, but that was because I was putting on muscle in fact the scale went up then back down... it was hard to tell by the scale if my diet and weight training were working, but my clothes were fitting better and becoming loose, although the scale had not changed. I did not care much what the scale said as long as I felt good and that I could see my clothes fitting better and I was going down in size. Remember muscle weighs more than fat. =)
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to be patient.

You've lost 11lb in one month is a) a lot and b) far more than the recommended weekly weight loss.

Your body is not a robot, it is not going to helpfully dump a specified amount of weight week in, week out, just to satisfy your desires. Some weeks you're not going to lose at all, some weeks you may even gain but then if you're doing everything right, you'll lose again and in the long term the result will be good.

My honest belief is that being in an all-fire rush to dump the weight (that's generally taken years to acquire) in as short a time as possible, is a short-cut to frustration and ultimately failure.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Update -- after more than a week of being up, I got on a scale today and it got back to that 11 (now 11.5) lb loss.

But I am considering upping my calories to 1,420. Do you guys think it is a good idea?

I am getting different quotes depending on what BMR calculator I use.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Update -- after more than a week of being up, I got on a scale today and it got back to that 11 (now 11.5) lb loss.

But I am considering upping my calories to 1,420. Do you guys think it is a good idea?

BMR calculators are estimates. The Katch McArdle is supposed to be one of the more accurate ones because it factors in your body fat % in its calculation. But pick one, and then you can adjust a bit later if necessary. Most people do need to keep reevaluating throughout their weight loss, the same number usually won't work from start to finish.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yes. I measure every ingredient down to serranos and onions. Everything on a scale. Things like olive oil by measuring spoons. it is like an obsessive compulsive disorder now.

Measure non-free flowing liquids with a scale (including oils and mayonnaise). I find it easier to weigh the bottle/jar before and after I take out what I'm going to use. They only reason I say it is because you have some odd measurements like 0.6 tsp or 0.4 tbsp. I know I have nothing in my kitchen that can measure that accurately, so it seems more like an estimate.

Check this thread out and look at the video in the comments:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Calculate what your intake should be, based on a 1lb a week loss and eat to that number.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every single day and have for over a year now. If you want to weigh daily (which I prefer), you do have to accept that your weight can fluctuate and there's not always a rhyme or reason. Some months I steadily gain 1-2 lbs per day for about 5 days before TOM starts then shed like crazy. Some months, I gain at different times. This month I apparently gained for the days leading up to ovulation as my scale went up and stayed up a total of 6 lbs within one week. Ovulation hit and now I'm dropping a pound a day. I'm still not back down to my all time low that I was at 2 weeks ago, but I will be there and continue going down. My measurements are still going down and my BF% is going down, I weigh and track every single calorie containing thing I consume and I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to, the scale just isn't acknowledging it yet.

I also have noticed that when I ramp up exercise or do something different from usual, I tend to hold on to water for a while. When I went from walking a lot to running more, I had more maintain days than loss days and still do. Days after I weight train I'm usually up, too.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes. I measure every ingredient down to serranos and onions. Everything on a scale. Things like olive oil by measuring spoons. it is like an obsessive compulsive disorder now.

Measure non-free flowing liquids with a scale (including oils and mayonnaise). I find it easier to weigh the bottle/jar before and after I take out what I'm going to use. They only reason I say it is because you have some odd measurements like 0.6 tsp or 0.4 tbsp. I know I have nothing in my kitchen that can measure that accurately, so it seems more like an estimate.

Check this thread out and look at the video in the comments:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

If it is an estimate, I round up, not down. But most times fractional amounts come from weighing -- for example I'm using a spoon of mayo for my sauce. I place the spoon on the scale, press the button so it goes to 0. than take of the spoon, fill it with mayo, than weigh it again and it shows me the difference. Than I look at the package how many calories are in that proportion of grams per serving and arrive at the number. Than I adjust the tbs amount on MFP until it shows the correct number of calories.
  • Bradykirk
    Bradykirk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Let you brain overrule the scale. If you are eating enough food and exercising, you know you are doing the right things. I know it is hard, but GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK!
  • TimmyToskas
    Options
    Not true what you said. It's not a myth. I went through University Studies here in NJ and I have been working out this way and dropping body fat by 1% every day for the last 3 days now. if you go over your target heart rate, more intense etc...you will burn calories quicker in less time but not fat calories. You'll be burning glucose/blood sugar and reducing your muscles especially on a treadmill, bike or Elliptical machine. A longer steadier duration workout is better than a fast intense shorter one.

3rd. You might want to get your proper working target heart rate by using the Karvonen Heart Rate Method, by working out and having your heart rate bpm in your proper range you will be burning fat instead of muscle, blood glucose etc.

Fat burning zone is a myth. Always better to work out at a higher intensity. You'll burn more fat overall and more total calories. It's more about total calorie burn for the calorie in vs calorie out approach.
  • littleblackcar
    Options

You shouldn't be exercising on less than that, anyway! I lost 30 pounds jogging apathetically on 1600-1700 a day.

For the love of all that is holy: Relax! You've only been doing this for a short time. Part of your initial weight plunge may also have been water, and now you've got unrealistic expectations of what you should be losing. Stop weighting yourself all the time (I never weigh more than once a week. Ever. Saturday morning only), eat sensibly, exercise sensibly, and be patient.