Not sure if I should change activity level to lightly active

Options
I recently increased my caloric intake from 1400 to 1500. I had been in a plateau for 3 months and the first week after increasing I lost 3 lbs, so clearly the science behind our bodies refusing to let go of fat when receiving too little calorically is at least somewhat true. I work out extremely hard, so I'm sure my body was kind of like "I NEED MORE FOOD IF YOU WANT ME TO FUNCTION, YOU IDIOT!"

I'm starting a new job this upcoming Monday that will require me to be on my feet for about 7-8 hours a day. However, I'm only at this job 3 days a week. I don't want to hit the same plateau from giving my body too little to run off of, but I also don't want to overestimate what I should be taking in. Should I change my activity level to lightly active? Or should I leave it at sedentary and eat maybe 50-100 calories more just on work days?

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Try eating your BMR
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Try eating your BMR
    This isn't relevant to this thread. I already eat much over my BMR. As the OP states, I increased a further 100 calories over my BMR and started losing again.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Your body adjusts to regular activity. So if you are on your feet 8 hours a day on a regular basis, your body isn't going to take it as a workout. Maybe at first it will, but just like any other job, your body will adjust to your routine. Your activity level should be based on what you do as extracurricular activity. Extracurricular activity is more spontaneous and requires the body to adjust on a regular basis.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Your body adjusts to regular activity. So if you are on your feet 8 hours a day on a regular basis, your body isn't going to take it as a workout. Maybe at first it will, but just like any other job, your body will adjust to your routine. Your activity level should be based on what you do as extracurricular activity. Extracurricular activity is more spontaneous and requires the body to adjust on a regular basis.
    This may be true for other systems, but it's certainly not the MFP system.
    This is how MFP dictates activity level:

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger)

MFP promps you to choose your activity level based on what your average day looks like and then you log any exercise you do outside of those parameters.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    You get a Bodymedia Fit which accurately calculated your daily calorie burn.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    In your case, I would switch it to lightly active.
  • RoseMay1122
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation - I work an active job 3 days a week, and then I'm in uni (ie. not active) the other two. I've set it as lightly active and seem to be losing at the pace I've set MFP to. I'm even on the same cals as you, so it can work, trust me!
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I have never heard of that. I have mine set as lightly active and I have an active part time job as well. I would definitely change your settings if I were you. :)
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation - I work an active job 3 days a week, and then I'm in uni (ie. not active) the other two. I've set it as lightly active and seem to be losing at the pace I've set MFP to. I'm even on the same cals as you, so it can work, trust me!
    Thanks!