Shake Shake Shake, Shake Your Protein.

Options
So I work in a job where I go to different offices and this week, I've been near a Smoothie King, and fallen for the low-cal, high-protein, Slim n Trim Chocolate done Skinny smoothie - YUM. O. Now, I'm a stickler for making 95% of my diet whole, clean foods, with as much organic as possible and, although I can't find a detailed ingredient list online for Smoothie King, it seems to be natural ingredients in the protein mix. I've had a great week, diet-wise, and it's making me think maybe I need to look into some kind of protein shake stuff to make at home. Any suggestions? How do my fellow clean-eaters feel about protein shakes? Are there all natural healthy options out there? I'm not going for massive muscle body-builder stuff, I just have trouble with my protein intake because I'm not a big meat-eater...

Thanks!

Replies

• SweetCharity
    Options
    Hey PureAndHealthy - not really sure what you're looking for in a protein shake, but this is what I use. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can click the link for ingredients and it will tell you what's in it! Hope it helps :)

http://myshakeology.com/esuite/home/sweetcharity/the-science
  • DogsRule666
    Options
    Here's a link to a recipe from the Clean Eating Magazine. I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/ce6_margs_smoothie.html
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    So I work in a job where I go to different offices and this week, I've been near a Smoothie King, and fallen for the low-cal, high-protein, Slim n Trim Chocolate done Skinny smoothie - YUM. O. Now, I'm a stickler for making 95% of my diet whole, clean foods, with as much organic as possible and, although I can't find a detailed ingredient list online for Smoothie King, it seems to be natural ingredients in the protein mix. I've had a great week, diet-wise, and it's making me think maybe I need to look into some kind of protein shake stuff to make at home. Any suggestions? How do my fellow clean-eaters feel about protein shakes? Are there all natural healthy options out there? I'm not going for massive muscle body-builder stuff, I just have trouble with my protein intake because I'm not a big meat-eater...

Thanks!

I always wondered the same thing!! I love SK's Slim N Trim Chocolate!! I stopped getting it because it's too expensive for me. It's about $6 a smoothie and I only get them when I get those breakfast coupons for $1.99 before 10 AM from Smoothie King. I now just use Equate Weight Loss shakes as my meal replacement. I just add ice and blend it all together & it makes it look like it's more than what it is and fills me up.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Hey PureAndHealthy - not really sure what you're looking for in a protein shake, but this is what I use. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can click the link for ingredients and it will tell you what's in it! Hope it helps :)

Yay for ingredient lists! Do you order yours offline or buy it somewhere?
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I buy the yoplait smoothies and add a couple of scoops of protein powder. The protein powder ups the caloires quite a bit but I'm sure there are low-cal protein out there (I use the EAS whey protein). At any rate, you can use the following mix - for organics sake.

1/2 cup raspberries
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1 cup strawberries
    yogurt to taste
    skim milk or soy milk
    protein powder

I'll also add peanut butter and chocolate to this mix sometimes. TONS of stuff you can do with protein powder.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I am a fellow "clean" eater (I try to eat as much organic as possible and stay away from artificial sweetners, etc). And I love Natural Factors Slimstyles protein powder in double chocolate. It's meant as a true meal replacement, so a full serving (2 scoops) is 230 calories, but it has no artificial sweetners and is DELICIOUS. It's very very thick - it uses a special kind of fiber that fills you up and makes it thick - and I actually use it as a pudding for dessert at night. I LOVE it. Some people think it tastes a little weird and it's very expensive, but I think it's worth every penny!
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    For a post work-out protein and energy boost I like mixing one scoop of designer whey protein chocolate flavor with 8 oz of cold almond milk and some ice. Its soooo tasty its like a treat I give myself for a good workout but that's good for me!
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    some other uber healthy options for you:
    hemp protein
    pea protein (sounds gross, but very yummy)
    Garden of Life Perfect Meal protein powder (the chocolate is especially yummy)
    Fiber 35 protein powder

All are super clean without artificial sweetners or other icky ingredients
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    some other uber healthy options for you:
    hemp protein
    pea protein (sounds gross, but very yummy)
    Garden of Life Perfect Meal protein powder (the chocolate is especially yummy)
    Fiber 35 protein powder

All are super clean without artificial sweetners or other icky ingredients

Good to know. I need to check out Greenlife and Earthfare. (My local organic grocers)
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Thanks for everybody's feedback!:flowerforyou:
  • SweetCharity
    Options

Yay for ingredient lists! Do you order yours offline or buy it somewhere?

I buy it online! It's the only way to get it currently. Let me know if you're interested, I'll send you a sample packet of mine :)