Fitness aids that work

Options
mazdauk
mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
We're constantly bombarded with "magic" fitness aids - I remember my mum having one of those wheels with a handle each side in the 70s, my husband was convinced an "abdominator" would give him a six-apck (actually we just used to hang towels on it!).

But some do work - I swear by work-out DVDs (I explained to my sister you do have to actually do the workouts - storing them on a shelf doesn't work!:laugh: ).

What "gadgets" do you swear by, and what were a complete waste of money?

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I do have a roller ball and I don't expect 6pack abs from that alone but it's another good stretching tool, I have resistance bands and have seen a slight physical change since using them and a medicine ball helps with ab work.

Moving onto technology I have a Garmin Forerunner watch and my running/cycling has improved significantly since having that to push me on.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    #1 A food scale and a good pair of athletic shoes.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    30704_xl4.jpg

Had this for 8 years and it is still working like a champ, worth the money.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I normally hate the idea of a 'gadget'. That being said, an ab wheel will make you hate life and feel like you are going to die at the same time. If something can do that to you, it's probably good stuff...well...unless it's bamboo shoots under the fingernails or something.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    #1 A food scale and a good pair of athletic shoes.
    Not a waste of money at all - very useful
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love the swiss ball at the gym so much I'm going to buy one. I do situps on it with weights, change and do side situps, crunches, planks, leg extentions (i have no idea what they are actually called but that's the practical effect) and I bridge my back off it.

As I have a back injury the situps are the best, I can work my lower abs without pain and the ball supports my back enough while still letting me use those muscles to complete the situp.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit has been absolutely invaluable to me. It's really helped me pinpoint my TDEE and be honest about my activity level. Best $100 gadget ever.