Treadmill Inclined walk

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say its useless if you're holding on, but make sure you're only holding lightly for balance, and not putting your weight on your arms (or leaning back and holding weight with your arms). I've been told that can also put unnecessary strain on your back when you do that too.

If you're concerned, maybe knock 20% off that calorie burned number to make sure you're not overestimating....
  • kk1964
    kk1964 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hiya, I use my treadmill on incline and do hold on sometimes, if you use a HRm you will get a true calorie burn.... the calories on the treadmill are very very generic, i see differences on the HRM depending how much effort i put in... Good luck x
  • FitandPrettywithME
    Options
    It's not that holding the rail makes the workout not count. It absolutely still counts but I must say you are not getting the most effective workout possible. I always tell people if you need to hold on, lower the incline a bit. I walk on the highest incline that the machine will go for as long as I can go without holding on. When I feel the need to hold on, I lower the incline until I get my 2nd wind and then take it all the way up again. But I did not start off on the highest incline. It took months to get to that point. Walking on an incline without holding on, takes a lot of leg strength. My tip for not falling off is to bend your legs a bit and try to put your weight in the thigh rather than the calf. With that being said, if you are moving, it counts!!!!!:smile:
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    as someone else wrote I'd suggest slowing down so you don't have to hold on. You're in a better posture position (important!!) and working your body better because you're not leaning back at the angle hanging on for dear life. Your arms must feel good afterwards though :)

I can walk 3.3 - 3.4 mph at the moment at the 10-12 incline, sometimes faster at lower inclines. Love the Random programs on the Life Fitness machines.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Sweat is an indication so don't worry about it.

Why do people believe that? I sweat in my sleep.... like enough the bed is wet, yet I'm not getting a workout. I sweat bucket loads in the gym, just because there is no wind or anything. Yet if I do the same run outside I sweat 1/3 as much. Because there is some kind of breeze on me due to movement.

My husband sweats doing the gardening. He's not working out or working hard, but he will come back in drenched.

Sweat is no indication of how 'effective' the workout was. It just means you lost fluid.
    I agree. Your body gets, hot...it cools itself down.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Try picking a focal point and keep your eyes on it. This helps me anyway. When I first started on the treadmill back in July I held on but slowly I started letting go, increasing the speed and the incline and now I can walk at a 10-12 incline and 4.2-4.6 speed for 45 minutes straight. The only time I touch the treadmill is to increase/decrease speed depending on the song coming out of my Ipod :) I like to walk to the beat of my music-it makes working out fun.

It took over 6 months to convince my hubby to let go of the treadmill. Just go at your own pace and be proud of the fact you are working out period!
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    While wearing my HRM, I see a noticeable difference when not holding the rail on an incline on the treadmill. That being said 10-15 BPM faster is harder but does not necessarily mean I am not working my butt off when I do hold on the treadmill. At a incline of +8 I would rather have the balance : )

Your fine burn away. I have lost 64 pounds "doing it the wrong way." Do what is right for you and rock on with the wait loss!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    REALLY GOOD INFORMATION FOR ME BECAUSE I HOLD ON AT THE INCLINE. I HOLD ON BECAUSE IT MAKES IT EASIER ON MY KNEES, WHICH HAVE OSTEOARTHRITIS. I WILL DEDUCT HALF OF THOSE CALORIES BURNED FROM NOW ON.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You were sweating. Did your respiration increase? Do you wear a heart rate monitor?

Although I am not a doctor, I would say that you absolutely got a benefit from this workout. By "benefit" I mean that you raised you calorie burn rate above your sedentary level. Did you "burn" what the machine showed? Don't know. But, don't worry about such a small issue!

Focus on improving in some fashion during your next workout. More time, faster pace, make attempts to not hold the rails, etc.

It's from pushing yourself forward that you will see real benefits. The calorie burn is just one small tool in the kit we use to measure our progress to better health and fitness.

All the best on your journey.
  • darcy2102
    darcy2102 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sweat is an indication so don't worry about it.

Why do people believe that? I sweat in my sleep.... like enough the bed is wet, yet I'm not getting a workout. I sweat bucket loads in the gym, just because there is no wind or anything. Yet if I do the same run outside I sweat 1/3 as much. Because there is some kind of breeze on me due to movement.

My husband sweats doing the gardening. He's not working out or working hard, but he will come back in drenched.

Sweat is no indication of how 'effective' the workout was. It just means you lost fluid.
    \

Agreed...why do people assume sweating equal effort. A hot flash does not mean that you are working out...yet you can be sweating buckets.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    the best way to track calories is to get a heart rate monitor. They don't care about posture and rules, Just Heart Rate and weight of the person, But the thing is if you sweat, you've done work.
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 149 pounds at 5'2".

I walked on the treadmill on 10% incline at 4 mph for 40 mins and it said I burned 428 calories ,but as written in some posts it was useless as I was holding the rails so that I wont fall off....but I was sweating like hell and my legs ache a bit....now I am sad...I hope my effort was not in vain..how much do you keep your treadmill on incline, so that you don't hold and get a good workout...other days I mostly run, jog and walk for cardio.Also I strength train 2-3 times a week...

I do the same thing!! I don't care what is said about holding on to the rails, when your at that high of an incline and your only 5'2 (i'm 5'3 by the way) holding on is a necessity!!! And just like you I'm sweating bullets and felling it in my legs and calves... I just purchased a HRM so I will be able to get my actually calories burned since its frowned upon holding on to the rails and i'm told that the calories burned are not actual since I did....:grumble:

You do you and know that as your moving your burning calories!! And your AWESOME to be 5'2 and walking at that high of a incline at 4 mph...:drinker: :flowerforyou: Thats running for me!! So I applaud you!! You Go Gurl!!:wink::smile: :happy:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    REALLY GOOD INFORMATION FOR ME BECAUSE I HOLD ON AT THE INCLINE. I HOLD ON BECAUSE IT MAKES IT EASIER ON MY KNEES, WHICH HAVE OSTEOARTHRITIS. I WILL DEDUCT HALF OF THOSE CALORIES BURNED FROM NOW ON.

why are you yelling?

instead, couldn't you just lower the incline??
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    When I was a treadmill walker vs. a runner, I read that by holding onto the rail that you're losing 25-30% of the calories burned from the workout. However, I was hesitant to let go because I felt like I was going to go flying off. What I did was kept the incline jacked up (10-12%) but lowered to a more manageable speed (3.3-3.5 mph) and was able to ditch the handles completely.

Yes. If you need to hold the rails you are probably going too fast. You should be able to walk on your own for the best form. You'll get a better workout and burn more if you don't hold the rails. I max out the incline and never have to hold the rails because I don't put the speed at a ridiculous level. It's a lot harder workout when you aren't using the machine as a crutch. But you should do what works best for you. :flowerforyou:
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    First of all, keep in mind that not all treadmills are equal. The settings on mine at home are not the same as those on the treadmills at the gym. My '4' incline is not as steep as at the gym.

Now, I can work up a good sweat on the treadmill, but my rule of them is that if I can speak a complete sentence without difficulty, I am not working hard enough.

I do have to hold onto the rails because I have a back injury that affects my balance. I tend to walk to the right because my left side is stronger walking. So I have to hold the rails, but I still can get to the puffing stage holding the rails, which tells me that I am getting a good workout.

Remember that what is a workout for you may not be a workout for another person. One person may work up a sweat just going up a flight of steps, whereas another person needs to go up ten flights to work up a sweat. It all depends on you fitness level and your body. Some people just sweat, period.

But the huffing and puffing is a really decent indicator of a good workout. If I am huffing and puffing at the end of my workout and my legs are burning, I know I did a good job.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

But the huffing and puffing is a really decent indicator of a good workout. If I am huffing and puffing at the end of my workout and my legs are burning, I know I did a good job.

So not true. Smoker can huff & puff walking to the car, while others huff after 10km run. I don't huff & puff at all when I'm running....that does not mean I'm not getting a good workout.

Just like sweating, being out of breath is NOT a good indicator of a good workout. In fact I'd say the better you can not do that means the fitter you are.

I don't know why people believe that either.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your replies, I will try to decrease my incline or speed to not hold the rails.I am happy I gave effort and that's what counts...People sweat in sleep because body is still working out.I had read it in some article, will try to find the link or please Google it.A person can burn up to 300 calories or more in sleep....I am short and the fear of faaling off makes me hold the rails...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Actually most sweat in their sleep cause they are hot. I get hot flashes & sweat a heap. This is after doing nothing. Yet I'll walk for 3 hours & not sweat anything near as much.

Please don't use sweat as anything more than just losing fluid.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I find myself gripping the rails I stop myself. But I Need the balance. I place my head ands flat on the rail. I was told if u have to hold on during an incline or high speed then its too much. Your working ur arms. Also im getting into this mitochondria fat burning burst intrevals. Burn fat not blood glucose. I have to repost the article.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I kept the incline at 6% and speed at 5.5 km for 40 mins...I feel it was a great workout.I did not have to hold the rails....I loved it!Thanks for all your responses ..:smile::drinker: :happy: