Upper Body Cardio?

Options
So I started working out about a month ago. I was using my treadmill and old tennis shoes. Well I ended up getting new shoes bc a spot was worn out on my new shoes and my knees were hurting. I've done ice and ibuprofen for the last week. I've only ran like once with my new shoes and have been doing long walks the last week, because I didn't want to stop cardio all together because of my knee. Well I broke down and went to the doctor today. I was strongly informed to take a WHOLE WEEK off of running and walking and just stay off my legs whenever possible. You can just imagine my disappointment....

I've lost 10 pounds so far and was really hoping to try to lose 2 pounds this next week so I was still on track to my goal weight by July 16th. I was wondering if anyone knew of any upper body cardio moves that I can do to keep up exercise. Also, my food diary is public. If anyone has any suggestions, such as lowering carbs or protein or whatever during this week since I won't be burning as much...PLEASE let me know. I really appreciate any help and advice. Thanks.

Replies

• suiciedchild
    Options
    wii boxing ?
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    try swimming - or most things in the water. Most people I know with knee issues can still swim since there isn't any impact on your knees.
  • click
    click Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You just need to be really strict on your diet and make sure not to go over your target calories w/o the exercise, and do some upper body weight training. I wouldn't worry about cardio this week.
  • click
    click Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just looked at your food diary

I"d also try to increase your fiber intake. Women should have about 25 grams of fiber per day. You can do this by adding in an apple or two, leafy greens either fresh or cooked (spinach, kale, swiss chard, salad), or using a cereal that is higher in fiber in the morning..

If you increase your fiber intake it not only helps digestion/clearing it out, but it makes you feel fuller and you can probably get by on your diet without feeling super hungry.

If you decide to weight train this week as I suggested, you can also substitute more protein for some of the carbs, that will help you put on some muscle that will help you increase your metabolism in the long run.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    flail your arms wildly for 1/2 an hour... you laugh now but try it, I guarantee it will get that heart going!
  • tmlane810
    tmlane810 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You can try punches (hooks, upper cuts, jabs) in a stationary position.
  • SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    On Jillian Micheals she does the helicopter which really works.. also at the gym they have the arm thing that you go in circles with that woudl work too.