New female gym go-er in need of some help

Options
So im joining a gym next week and need help on a routine or what i should be doing there.
So far ive been doing a work dvd 4-5 times a week about 20-30 minutes long (usually 30 day shred or josies 30 second dvd)
I try and walk most places say about 30 minutes a day.
Ill be able to go to the gym 4-5 times a week so just need some kind of workout routine?
Any help would be great!

Replies

• mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I just joined a gym too on Sunday and i'm in the same boat as you. I have got numerous dvd's, josie's being my most recent! I did it once and that was it. I don't seem to have the motivation to do things like that in the house as I never get peace and quiet. I knew in my head that if i signed up for the gym, that it was mostly some hiit I wanted to do, rather than 5k on a treadmill sort of thing, and also to do some weight/resistance work. I've kept some money aside this month to get some personal training. I understand not everyone can afford it but I was going to treat myself to some new clothes but then thoughti'd rather put that on hold and buy some new stuff in a smaller size :-) I basically want a programme made up for me so i know what i'm going in the gym to do. I have read all of the books like new rules of lifting etc but find the info quite intimidating. I took a look around the gym and feel quite nervous but hopefully i'll overcome that once i'm confident I at least look like I know what i'm doing!
  • GonnaBFit2510
    GonnaBFit2510 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same too although I havnt even plucked up the courage to join a gym!! Need some one to go along with then I wouldn't feel so bad lol.
  • dietingdanni
    Options
    The best thing to do is speak to your gym as most will offer an induction at a small price and they will go through your goals, and set up a rountine for you and show you how to use the equipment :D
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • EllieYuruker
    EllieYuruker Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My goal is to tone up about lose about 3lb. Im 119 now so id love to lose that last 3lb.
  • EllieYuruker
    EllieYuruker Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to reply on here to specific posts lol but i am the same mich1902. Get bored of doing the same old dvds but dont have the time in the day to do a whole hour and i think the gym would motivate me .x
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You both will do great in the gym! Take the classes they offer when you can. You will learn a lot in them, hopefully. My gym routine is Powercut on Monday, tabata/ TRX on tues. Either I workout on my on Wednesday or I take another class. Thursday PowerCut again( love this weight training class) and Friday cycle crunk. The weekends are mostly cardio. I do squats, lunges and glute workouts on saturday, then cardio. If it is my 7days on at work, I usually take off Saturday. I do only cardio on Sunday whether I am working or not. I jog the track in the evening when my kids get home, if they don't have practice. And yes I do rest especially on my 7 days off. I would defintley save up for a trainer, as they will teach you about correct form and put you a workout plan that is designed for your goals. Best of luck to you both.
  • sunshinefunk
    sunshinefunk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Take the classes!
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you are a new member or haven't been for a while most gyms offer an induction or refresher (sometimes it's even free). You'll get to speak to a member of the staff tell them your main goal and they can hlep work out the machines or exercises to suit.

If you have a few more spare pennies I'm sure there will be PT's you can book too :)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    You can always ask at the desk for help setting up a routine, but I will share the routine my trainer gave me. I use the machines (I prefer them to free weights because I'm lazy and I'm sure I'd hurt myself) I use about 5 or 6 different machines each time I go. EAch machine I do 3 sets of 12 at a weight that kind of hurts during the second rep. This takes me about a half hour to complete all 6 machines. then I do the elliptical but I dont do it for a length of time - I do it for a calorie goal of 250. I will probably up this some time next week to 300. I try to add on 20 or 50 calories each week but try to make it in the same amount of time. The 250 takes me about 25 minutes to complete. So I'm there for about an hour total and I feel like I get a well rounded work out each time I go. I do this on Monday Wednesdays and Fridays, On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays I do Insanity. I tried doing the Insanity program 6 days a week but it is just too much for me. Once I lose my 40 extra lbs of fat I might be able to complete it.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree, take the induction. Most gyms offer a free "jump start" program, where they will help set up a program for you to follow to help you to your goals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    build a program around squats, deadlifts, bench press, over head press, chin ups/pullups, etc...devlop some kind of total body work out - arms, shoulders, back, chest, legs - where you do that m w fri and maybe cardio two other days or classes....
  • TashaHem
    Options
    I used to go to the gym a few times a week, but now I am trying to do it everyday, and the big thing is that I have added weights to my program (they have the Cybex machines). I do the weights before cardio because I heard that would pump up my heart rate when I do cardio, and that seems true! Good luck!
  • Sharry1978
    Options
    I'd defo recommend an induction, but in the meantime try 10 mins on each cardio machine at whatever level is comfortable... You can always increase speed/ intensity as you go along. Don't do too much too soon or it will put you off. Good luck xx
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with all the above! The gym should have someone there to help you set up a routine to get started. After that, I bumped up my weights a bit at a time as I've felt able and I've asked for help to set up my next routine...plus they have the classes as well
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    If you're going 4 or 5 times a week, I would suggest you devise (3) seperate workouts. First one for chest, shoulder & tricep. Second for back & biceps. Third for legs. Work up to 3 sets of 8-10 of 4 to 5 exercises. Example:
    Workout 1
    Bench Press, Military Press, Tricep Pushdowns, Flyes
    Workout 2
    Deadlift, Lat Pulldown, Seated Row, Curls
    Workout 3
    Squat, Leg Extension, Leg Curl, Calf Raise

Check out some of the publications for women lifters, too. Good luck to you.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer a beginner training session/sessions. You can go over goals and talk about benefits of classes, weight lifting and cardio based on your goals. Not every session offered works for every person. A trainer can help fine tune your workout sessions to meet your goals efficiently and keep it fun for you too.
  • genglish1
    genglish1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Look at Jamie Eason's LiveFit program. It's a really great program to work your way up. Once you've completed that program (it runs for 3 months) you should have a bit more knowledge and a solid base to work with. From there you can branch out.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    build a program around squats, deadlifts, bench press, over head press, chin ups/pullups, etc...devlop some kind of total body work out - arms, shoulders, back, chest, legs - where you do that m w fri and maybe cardio two other days or classes....

stronglifts 5x5 is a great start for this.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Best advice anyone gave me was only lift as much as makes you uncomfortable by the end of your sets. So say you're doing 3 sets of 10 reps with 15kg, by the time you're at 7/8, you should just be beginning to feel a bit tired in the arms. Then rest for a minute, and start again.