People who eat the same things every day

Options
Some of my MFP friends, and quite often the successful weight loss ones, eat almost the same foods every day. Personally I could never do that and I enjoy a wide variety of things. Occasionally this trips me up as I'll eat something I think will be OK and fit into my plan and it doesn't (We won't mention the Starbuck's almond croissant for 430cals - lol) I had to miss a meal to make up for that faux pas!. I can understand why people do it, it keeps you on track because you know exactly what you are going to eat and when and this makes you less likely to stray calorie wise. Should you also consider though if all the essential nurtients we need, vitamins, minerals etc can actually be contained in just one days worth of food? Especially women on lower calories like 1200, you could be missing out and affecting your health long-term. I also think it seems to have consequences for these people when they are forced away from their habitual food, like on holiday or eating out. They either go mad and binge on multiple slices of pizza, or maybe they just don't know which other healthy lower calorie foods are out there because they have never tried them? What do you think?

Replies

• Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think that, for a lot of people, trouble starts when they think too much about "what do I feel like eating today?" If you have go-to meals for breakfast and lunch, you have less to think about and obsess about, and less trouble to get into. Just my two cents.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    For many variety leads to trouble. If I want something, I will adjust my macros around it.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I suppose if they like those foods, then why not - as long as they're getting the right amount of nutrients. I know quite often my lunch can be the same, but I do like to swap and change my breakfast, snacks and dinner. I know I would get very bored if I had the same dinner or breakfast every single day, lunch not so much. Not sure what it is, but I really have a thing for brown rice at the moment! I hope you didn't mean me anyway!

I suppose, just let people get on with it. Variation is nice, but some people love routine because it does keep you in check. :)

I have started planning my meals in advance to allow myself more variation.
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would get totally bored eating the same thing every day, I need variety. I know what I can eat so I just try different way to eat a variety of fruits and veggies. It has been working okay so far :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    is it just me or is the original post kind of contradicting. You say that people that eat same thing every day may hurt themselves on holiday, but then you admit to doing the opposite of that and say that you ate a croissant from starbucks that had 500 calories in it.

I do not eat the same thing every d ay..but I eat the same kind of foods - chicken, vegetables, steak, pork, eggs, whole wheat, brown rice, quiona, etc....I have built my lifestyle around these foods....now, every once in a while I will eat some pizza, buffalo wings, etc but I make them fit into my daily goals...

I would say build your lifestyle around healthy foods and strength training....and if you go to starbucks look on the nutritional info or find something similar so that you can get an idea of the calories contained within ...
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Most of my meals are the same every day. I tend to have the same breakfast and the same lunch, and then I have probably about 10 regular dinners that I choose one from every night. My snacks are usually the same too..

I'm getting a decent amount of protein, carbs, fats, fruit and veg and even room for a treat every day by eating almost the same. It also works for me and I don't feel deprived. As long as that is the case, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    personally, I'm with you-- I like variety and eating the same thing every day would make me crazy.

But I've also heard the "eat boring, be skinny" argument (see #3 on Men's Health Eat This Not That list--http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/print-list/186550) that novelty foods drive us to consume more, and I have found myself guilty of the "oooh this is so good, and it may be a while before I get to eat this again!" mindset.
  • bobbyunangst
    Options
    I have 2-3 go to breakfast and lunches that I rotate through out the week. I have allowed myself a dip into the forbidden on Sundays so that I can still enjoy Sunday morning breakfast out with my husband and kids. Dinner time is where I really move things around since it is the one that is most likely to vary anyway. Also snacks in the day. I refused to not give myself a treat that I want because I know I will cave later if I do.

My calories are set for 1400 right now. I feel a lot of what I need to change about my eating is all about moderation. I can have a piece of chocolate, just enjoy it and keep it to one AND record it. Don't sneak it, be honest with yourself.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I could never eat the same things every day I would get so bored, I love food and I love variety I don't see any food as a son and eat whatever I fancy, I've changed the whole way I look at food and since being on mfp I'm not constantly thinking of what I'm going to eat next and will it be ok for my diet, I think that's because I no longer think of myself as being on a diet any more
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    We are creatures of habit. Some love to have their morning oatmeal, or their eggs etc. My husband has to have his cereal and chocolate pudding lol. I personally have times when I will eat the same thing every morning for a week or 2 then I get tired of that and switch to something else. It also depends on what I have left in the house. If I can't get out to go food shopping I'll have whatever is left in the fridge. Sometimes that means eggs every morning for breakfast. The rest of the day I do stick with having a salad with either chicken or salmon on top for lunch and dinner. Yup just about every single day.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Some of my MFP friends, and quite often the successful weight loss ones, eat almost the same foods every day. Personally I could never do that and I enjoy a wide variety of things. Occasionally this trips me up as I'll eat something I think will be OK and fit into my plan and it doesn't (We won't mention the Starbuck's almond croissant for 430cals - lol) I had to miss a meal to make up for that faux pas!. I can understand why people do it, it keeps you on track because you know exactly what you are going to eat and when and this makes you less likely to stray calorie wise. Should you also consider though if all the essential nurtients we need, vitamins, minerals etc can actually be contained in just one days worth of food? Especially women on lower calories like 1200, you could be missing out and affecting your health long-term. I also think it seems to have consequences for these people when they are forced away from their habitual food, like on holiday or eating out. They either go mad and binge on multiple slices of pizza, or maybe they just don't know which other healthy lower calorie foods are out there because they have never tried them? What do you think?

I tend to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch and snacks, but have a dinner different each night. I am pretty picky when it comes to my food so I'm kind of limited but it works for me. I also find it easier to keep track of my calories when I do this, which I only really do M-F. On the weekends I am a little more relaxed.

Just curious when you over ate by 400 calories, why not exercise to gain those calories back instead of skipping a meal?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat the same thing for breakfast (usually a bagel) and maybe for lunch (usually a sandwich), but planning and cooking a delicious dinner is sometimes the highlight of my day. Which sounds really sad and pathetic now that I type it out. :laugh:
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    (We won't mention the Starbuck's almond croissant for 430cals - lol)

What does Starbuck's put in their food? The calorie counts on everything there is huge!!!! Even if you compare say a piece of banana bread from there and ones from other places, it's always way more. I avoid Starbuck's for that reason - and because it's so expensive.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat the same thing for breakfast (usually a bagel) and maybe for lunch (usually a sandwich), but planning and cooking a delicious dinner is sometimes the highlight of my day. Which sounds really sad and pathetic now that I type it out. :laugh:
    Oh i wish I could figure out what to make for dinner. Doesn't help that I hate to cook plus I'm never home to make dinner unless I make it in advance for the family. I have to fill up the crock pot and leave it on all day so when I'm not hope everyone can help themselves. I spend most of my time on campus.
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast pretty much everyday. It's more of a preference and convenience than anything else. I have a grapefruit and oatmeal, it's quick and easy and I add my egg whites to the water when I'm nuking it. I'm not bored......but probably a little boring:wink:
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    For me, sometimes it's because it's a satisfying meal. Breakfasts are pretty standard. My snacks will usually be the same (yogurt, banana, apple, grapes or a treat ). Lunch can vary, I'm actually in a lunch rut where nothing interests me for lunch. Dinner is where the variation can come in. I plan meals when I go grocery shopping so I have things to already choose from.
    Sometimes, it's better to have the same thing. I hate the "what do I want to eat?" dance.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I always eat in cycles. I'll get on a tuna kick and eat everyday for weeks. Then all of a sudden I get sick of it and switch to something else. But I've always been like that. If I have a spur of the moment craving, I'll log the food before I eat it to see if it fits my macros. If it does I eat it. If not I might still eat it lol
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    different strokes for different folks
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I always eat in cycles. I'll get on a tuna kick and eat everyday for weeks. Then all of a sudden I get sick of it and switch to something else. But I've always been like that. If I have a spur of the moment craving, I'll log the food before I eat it to see if it fits my macros. If it does I eat it. If not I might still eat it lol

This is how I eat too. I find something I like (and that works well in my macros) and then I eat it like crazy until I'm tired of it. For example, right now I'm eating a homemade steak & egg breakfast burrito. I made a huge batch of them and they are delicious - and high in protein, which is important to me right now. So, I'll eat these most days until they are gone and then I'll find something else to eat.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm definately a creature of habit for breakfast and lunch, have the same thing for both every day.

I get my variety from my dinner where I try different things. I do my meal prep Sunday nights for work so its all done and I don't have to worry in the morning with what to take.