Peer pressure

halzuzu
halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So, my co-workers just tried to convince me to go to a pizzeria with them for lunch today. I told them that I had brought my lunch, but they kept pushing. I was tempted. I love pizza! I knew I wouldn't be able to stop at one slice. I'd probably end up having 3-4 slices and maybe some garlic bread and who knows what else..and then I'd feel horrible for the rest of the day cause i went over my calories. As much as I love my co-workers and enjoy socializing with them I felt I had to decline. I don't usually deprive myself cause then I'll end up binging, but these lasts few days I've been over my calorie goal so for the weekend I really wanted to up the exercise and make better choices. Have you run into this from friends, family, etc. who say "oh come on, its just pizza!' and how do you handle the pressure?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Well..it took a while but eventually the co-workers stopped asking. Yeah maybe I was a little socially outcast, but I truly didn't want to go out and eat garbage! When I was working I would just go to the gym instead (I was lucky and had a gym next door to my office). Guess who looked better at the company Xmas party? ;)
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    I am polite and if I can go out and behave I would order a diet drink and a salad. Pizza is tempting and if I felt like I needed to eat a slice I would order a slice of veggie or cheese pizza and a salad and a diet drink. Most of friends and family are very supportive and in fact on my birthday everyone had cupcakes except for me. Just stick to what you are doing no matter what. It is o.k. to put your needs first and attain the healthy goal you have set for yourself. Have a wonderful day. :flowerforyou:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    I don't like it when people who are eating healthy have friends who don't understand. Sometimes people don't realize they could be sabotaging your weight-loss goals (or maybe they do realize). In time they'll learn to understand. Maybe next time you could suggest going some place different for lunch with healthier options....
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    It's especially annoying when people who are skinny are trying to force you to eat something you don't want to. Asking over and over again...or saying just have one...are you sure you don't want it? No, means no, and I'm doing this for myself. I wish they would understand and just respect the decision.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    One option may be to bring your lunch with you to the restaurant so you can join them. Most restaurants won't mind this since the majority of the people at the table are ordering and paying for food at their establishment. This way, you get to be social, you get to stick to your goals and model for others that it can be done. I know that the food the others order will be tempting, but if you have lots of healthy stuff that you enjoy with you, the temptation won't be worth the pride you feel inside afterwards.
    Risa
This discussion has been closed.