Visible ribs, but I still have a belly. What's going on?

Options
Hi FitnessPal people! Thanks in advance for your help. I'm a 21 year old female, 5'6, just in case that is helpful.

Okay, so my problem is, I'm at the point where my bones are showing more than I'd like (very visible ribs in front & back, jutting hips, etc), but my stomach still looks pudgy! How do I fix this? Do I need to carry on losing weight? I don't want to gain, because obviously I've been losing for about a year (a slow process!), & my stomach was even bigger & less fit when I weighed more.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't say what you do for exercise but probably you need to focus more on strength training. Build some muscles instead of just trying to lose weight. I hate the term skinny fat but if you just lose weight without exercise you can still have a high proportion of fat that gives that pudgy look.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    You don't say what you do for exercise but probably you need to focus more on strength training. Build some muscles instead of just trying to lose weight. I hate the term skinny fat but if you just lose weight without exercise you can still have a high proportion of fat that gives that pudgy look.

DITTO
  • ibvitale
    Options
    I've just recently started a workout video with some crunches included, so hopefully that will help. Wayyyy too poor to afford a gym membership, unfortunately. Do I just need to workout & build muscle?
  • erintgaffaney
    Options
    Holding fat in your belly is also the result of simply being a woman. Estrogen dominance causes us to store fat around the middle and in your thighs. A low glycemic "diet" (or rather food choices- i.e., low carb and sugar) can help with that. Also, strength training will tone your body. You might not lose weight, but you'll be firmer and less jiggly.
  • sowinskielc
    Options
    Start eating to maintain weight instead of losing it. Then focus on strength training. Since muscle weighs more than fat, this may cause you to gain weight, but you will actually look thinner and more toned. it's worth it.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. My hips can protrude out, m spine is too visible for my liking when i bend over, and my ribs are showing. But I am anything but skinny-mini (still a size 10 pant and 25% BF). I still have a large amount of fat to lose in my belly and thighs. I am hoping that more strength training will help this, I want to start lowering BF% now instead of lowering the number on the scale. I'm interested in hearing what others, possibly more educated, have to say.
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You don't need cardio you need muscles! You do not have to go to a gym for it but Google "using body weight for exercise", or this book is 9 bucks http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581
  • TetesLorraine
    TetesLorraine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How are losing weight? Diet only? Diet and Exercise?
    Your nutrition has a lot to do with belly fat. Eating well and eating the right food is important.
    A good mix of cardio and strength training, with nutrition, is the best way to lose fat all over, including your stomach.
    Good way to look at it, ever see those guys with huge biceps and huge legs at the gym that still have a big tummy? :) Not to say that's what your issue is but remember you can't spot train your tummy, so overall cardiovascular exercise is important to lose fat all over and again, eating the right foods. : )
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    . Since muscle weighs more than fat, this may cause you to gain weight

Muscle does not weigh more then fat it just takes up less space..If you build bigger muscles you then will notice the scale move a bit. but to do that you need to eat at a surplus.
  • ibvitale
    Options
    I've been losing through diet & cardio, pretty much stopped the cardio now that I'm thin everywhere else except my stomach.... Trying to eat more protein, but I feel like maybe that's made me consume more fat as well.

Seems like the overall consensus I'm getting is, tone up!
  • ibvitale
    Options
    I'm a size 1-2, so I wouldn't say I'm fat, but I just feel that I don't look properly fit. I feel like you guys probably got the gist of that anyway, but just in case it helps, I'm pretty small.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Strength train, you need to use those ab muscles to get them less "pudgy" looking. I have the same problem.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    You don't need cardio you need muscles! You do not have to go to a gym for it but Google "using body weight for exercise", or this book is 9 bucks http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581

I have this book and the APP. I can really feel a difference in my body composition! Hope to soon schedule time to lift heavier, but the Bodyweight (with added dumbbells) is working well for now.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    I've been losing through diet & cardio, pretty much stopped the cardio now that I'm thin everywhere else except my stomach.... Trying to eat more protein, but I feel like maybe that's made me consume more fat as well.

Seems like the overall consensus I'm getting is, tone up!

Add weight lifting. Start small and light at first if you need to.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts that suggest strength training, you probably need to add some core work to start if you are not already doing this.
    but.....a flat stomach/abs happen in the kitchen. What are you eating regularly? Are you eating clean? try to cut out some of the processed foods, white flour, sugar, sugar substitutes, etc and see if that helps at all
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yep it is another website that is free is nerd fitness the creator is a big proponent of body weight exercise also that you do not need a gym to work out and has some neat exercises that you can do in your home to tone up:bigsmile: .
  • ibvitale
    Options
    I agree with the posts that suggest strength training, you probably need to add some core work to start if you are not already doing this.
    but.....a flat stomach/abs happen in the kitchen. What are you eating regularly? Are you eating clean? try to cut out some of the processed foods, white flour, sugar, sugar substitutes, etc and see if that helps at all

Unfortunately, as a broke university student, I'm definitely not eating clean. Though I don't really overeat (occasionally, but seldom), I do eat a lot of chocolate/coffee/whatever is around. I love healthy food like fruits & veg, as well as yogurt, it's just hard to come by.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much do you weigh? Generally, its poor body composition that prevents some from getting a flat stomach.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    ibvitale wrote: »
    Hi FitnessPal people! Thanks in advance for your help. I'm a 21 year old female, 5'6, just in case that is helpful.

Okay, so my problem is, I'm at the point where my bones are showing more than I'd like (very visible ribs in front & back, jutting hips, etc), but my stomach still looks pudgy! How do I fix this? Do I need to carry on losing weight? I don't want to gain, because obviously I've been losing for about a year (a slow process!), & my stomach was even bigger & less fit when I weighed more.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Honestly if your hip bones are jutting out, you are probably just noticing the contrast of your stomach with the surrounding bony area, versus your stomach ACTUALLY sticking out! At how bony you sound, I highly doubt that your stomach actually "looks pudgy". Sounds like a bit of body dysmorphia to me :/
  • Bexini
    Bexini Posts: 1
    Options
    Your not the only one, i've gained 2 stone over the last few years and i'm still ribby and bony up top but have a rather large belly. Just starting to try and get the weight back off again. Planning on doing some pilates core body exercise routines as I diet.