Why am I not losing any weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I need some help and some tips as to why I am not losing any weight!

I started my diet Monday, February 11. So I am starting my third week. My starting weight was 157 pounds and I am 5'3. After two weeks I had lost 3 pounds and I was very happy but after weighing myself I gained a pound back. So after 3 weeks I weigh 155. Here is my daily intake/outtake:

My total calories is supposed to be 1,322. I exercise daily. 30-45 minutes of cardio, 10 minutes of weight lifting and 10 minutes of ab work outs. According to my treadmill/bike/pedometer app I burn around 400-500 calories daily (I know those aren't that accurate but I can't afford a heart rate monitor yet but I'm looking into it) so my calorie outtake is anywhere between that give or take.
    I eat healthy three meals a day and after food is all entered plus my workout I usually am at 800-900 calories. I know that's not enough but that's subtracting my calories burned. And I know I'm eating enough. Here's the general gist of my meals:
    Breakfast: egg or biscuit or bagel thin
    Lunch: turkey and cheese sandwich, yogurt, fruit, and a few pretzels
    Dinner: type of chicken/veggie meal usually.

I really feel like I'm doing everything right so why am I not losing weight?

You probably aren't netting enough.
    My consistent weight loss came from eating back a good chunk of my calories. Last summer I would net a minimum of 1,350 per day. I always made sure that was around the number I netted, and ate back as many exercise calories that would bring me to that number.

So say I burned 300 calories in a day. I would net 1,050. I would eat 200-300 back. So I ate 1650 total that day, but netted 1,350. I lost weight consistently, and inches as well.
  • 135nicole
    135nicole Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I found out that if you eat less than 1200 cal. Your body saves them. You have to eat the required calories,try to use protein, fiber or even fat foods. Avoid the carbs. They are in most fruits and veggies natural, so no bread, etc. You don't have to eat your calories you earned with the exercise. For weight loss do one hour cardio in the morning and one in the night like jogging- elliptical . I don't think it's muscle weight, you actually starve off muscle. My guess is its water stored in the fat cells. This could happen on a diet and it could take awhile to overcome the plateaus 30-90days depends on the person. For me it was six weeks and very frustrating. For me I burn 1600 without exercise, then burn extra 900 with exercise. That makes 2500. My required calories to eat are 1450. That makes 1050 calories towards my weight loss. 2 pounds a week. If I eat low sodium and not more than 400mg caffein and hold my carbs equal to the fat and protein. I found out that carbs are in fruit and veggies which are good for you, carbs also are in beans which are good for you because of the fiber and protein but limited! I make my own almond meal bread now because its low on carbs( almost not carbs) and I slice it very thin because its high on fat and protein. But it handle my bread craving. I also do body revolution for the muscle training 30 minutes a day. Now my weight didn't jump up and down anymore. It goes down.
  • ctheluck
    ctheluck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are easy ways to add more calories to your day without upping the volume of food...

I am going through this right now, trying to up my calories to eat my exercise calories...

fry my morning egg in a tsp of oil, and use the whole egg, not just the egg white.
    buy 9% Greek yogurt instead of 0%
    use full fat salad dressings
    add mayo to your sandwich, or avocado
    user higher calorie meats, chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts
    eat nuts once a day

It's a hard thing to wrap your head around, that you aren't eating enough to lose weight. It seems counter-intuitive. I am putting faith in MFP and my heart rate monitor to give me a number that works. Last week I lost 1 lb eating all my exercise calories. Excited to see if that continues.
  • SeeStephRunBlog
    Options
    There are easy ways to add more calories to your day without upping the volume of food...

I am going through this right now, trying to up my calories to eat my exercise calories...

fry my morning egg in a tsp of oil, and use the whole egg, not just the egg white.
    buy 9% Greek yogurt instead of 0%
    use full fat salad dressings
    add mayo to your sandwich, or avocado
    user higher calorie meats, chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts
    eat nuts once a day

It's a hard thing to wrap your head around, that you aren't eating enough to lose weight. It seems counter-intuitive. I am putting faith in MFP and my heart rate monitor to give me a number that works. Last week I lost 1 lb eating all my exercise calories. Excited to see if that continues.

You need to be careful about this- make sure you are eating healthy fats and not just eating fats to gain calories. For example- what kind of oil and how much? And chicken thighs are higher in fat that breasts. Mayo- also not the best option. More dressing- more oil and fat.

You are MUCH better served by gaining calories with healthier foods- take an extra portion or two of vegetables. Top with some chopped nuts. Have an extra snack- fruit with some cheese. When you have a yogurt, add in some granola and chia seeds, etc.