Food Surprises!

Options
So Since starting this whole calorie counting thing I have had a few surprises some good and some bad. Please share yours surprises so I can try them (good surprises) or avoid them (bad surprises).

Suprise 1.
I found out my daily bagel for breakfast was sabotaging my whole day. 1 bagel has more crabs than I should consume in an entire day. Serving size should be half a bagel. Who knew I was dooming myself with my first meal of the day.

Suprise 2.
My family had Taco night last night before counting calories I would have consumed 5-6 hard shell "Taco Supreme's" (1000-1200 calories) no surprise there. So last night I decided to make a taco salad while my family had tacos. I filled my plate with lettuce added the beef, salsa, 2 tbs spoon of sour cream, avocado, black olives, tomatoes, crunched up two taco shells and sprinkled on top.

Only turned out to be 560 calories! I was so stuffed I had to go back and check my calories thinking I was convinced I must have had way more calories than that 560 but sure enough it was only 560.

Replies

• GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would definitely cut out the bagel if it has crabs.
  • TimSPC
    TimSPC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    MFP lets you adjust your crab values. Not everyone is supposed to eat the same amount of crabs.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    MFP lets you adjust your crab values. Not everyone is supposed to eat the same amount of crabs.

Very True. I actually got that bit of info on carbs and bagels from a poster at the doctors office so who knows if it is right for me or not but was shocking.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    SURPRISE!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXJ_g3b3oPlFeLMn7VU5QrH5e-r6aND3kGGtW5uzODUWpPBpnWqLbdEyE

To seriously answer your question though....I was surprised at how many restaurant salads that appeared 'good" were really horrifying....and I dont' mean the ones loaded up with fried chicken, bacon and 2 cups of ranch....I mean the ones like the free one at Olive Garden that's mostly veggies....
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I seriously just spit my water out laughing so hard because I didn’t even catch it in the original post LOL!!! :laugh:

As for my food surprise….DRESSING on the salad. I ordered a grilled shrimp cesar salad thinking I was picking a healthier choice & the salad had almost 200 more calories than the sandwich my husband had ordered, :mad: so I went to the restaurant’s website and they had a wonderful calorie builder section on their site, I was able to break down each item in the salad, the actual shrimp & salad part was just over 300 calories and the dressing alone was OVER 400 calories…needless to say I ate it dry :grumble:
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    SURPRISE!

To seriously answer your question though....I was surprised at how many restaurant salads that appeared 'good" were really horrifying....and I dont' mean the ones loaded up with fried chicken, bacon and 2 cups of ranch....I mean the ones like the free one at Olive Garden that's mostly veggies....

Bwahahaha!!!! OK stop I am laughing out loud at work now!!! :laugh:
  • AMAdams10
    AMAdams10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is my first time ever counting calories, too, and I've been shocked by how quickly they add up from random things.

Love the crab bagel, btw!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    SURPRISE!

This makes me want to play with my food...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    SURPRISE!

This makes me want to play with my food...
    I still can't believe there was acutally a bagel crab photo out there ....God bless the internet!
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    SURPRISE!

Love it thanks for the smile!
  • Rivers2k
    Options

I seriously just spit my water out laughing so hard because I didn’t even catch it in the original post LOL!!! :laugh:

As for my food surprise….DRESSING on the salad. I ordered a grilled shrimp cesar salad thinking I was picking a healthier choice & the salad had almost 200 more calories than the sandwich my husband had ordered, :mad: so I went to the restaurant’s website and they had a wonderful calorie builder section on their site, I was able to break down each item in the salad, the actual shrimp & salad part was just over 300 calories and the dressing alone was OVER 400 calories…needless to say I ate it dry :grumble:

Yeah salad dressing is a killer. I have been using a few table spoons of salsa or Balsamic and oil.
  • NHoughton13
    Options
    Hilarious thread!!

To answer your question, I was surprised how much sodium was in cottage cheese. You think you're doing a good thing and BAM...sodium bomb!!
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options

When you go out, have the salad, but ask for the dressing on the side. I dip my fork in the dressing, then stab up some veggies. Yummy, and you will find you eat a LOT less dressing that way! Same with sauce and gravy!!