Homemade: Where can I find a way to calctulate servings?

Hi guys!
I've been on my fitness journey for a little over a month now. Sometimes I find it hard to eat healthy, other times I feel like i'm having a competition with myself to make things as healthy as possible.
This comes into play A LOT when I am cooking. I'm Italian. (Yes, I am going to use that excuse that Italians cook a lot. Now shut up and eat my food!) As a result, I also cook in mass quantities. Partially because I never feel like there's enough. (in case, you know, a troupe of the armed forces decides to drop by for lunch or something.) The other part being, my boyfriend has a bottomless pit for a stomach...
Anyway, the problem I run into a lot is calculating the portion size. I put all of my info into the MFP recipe calculator but i'm never sure how many servings it is. I try to estimate, but I have a tendency to really underestimate the size a serving of my meals could be. Sure, I could go through after cooking and count out how many servings there are by manually ladling it from pot to pot. Oh, and then logging it as exercise (kidding).
But this is the 21st century. There has to be an easier way, right?

418210_367724846573501_2144789900_n.jpg

Replies

• bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    I make a whole recipe one serving and then portion it out at the end to see how much there is and use the fraction of a serving to determine calories. It stinks that the recipe function makes you determine number of servings up front, but the fraction option seems to be working for me.
  • brookrd1
    brookrd1 Posts: 34 Member
    If you will look under food then to the right there is a recipe calculator. it allow you to put the ingredient of your recipe in and also have many serving that recipe if for, it will calculate a single portion for you. Hope this helps :-)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Be honest with yourself about serving sizes and calories and all that. Get a food scale. It's better to overestimate calories in a dish than underestimate and end up eating more than you think.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Sure, I could go through after cooking and count out how many servings there are by manually ladling it from pot to pot.

Either do this (it's really not that hard!) or weigh the whole batch and determine your own serving size from that--I like to use 100 grams. So if the whole recipe weighs 1300 grams, it has 13 servings. If it weighs say 1350 grams, I still list it was 13 servings--the calorie count will be slightly higher than it actually is, but only by a few calories. I'd rather think I'm eating more than I actually am than less.

Your "serving" size is really just a way to calculate. For something like soup, my typical serving actually weighs 300 to 500 grams, so I list it as 3 or 5 servings, whatever I'm actually consuming. It's just easier that way to use 100 gram measurements.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Food > Recipes > Enter New Recipe (button on right hand side)

I use this all the time now that I'm cooking more at home rather than eating processed stuff. :D
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Weigh what you cooked. Then ladle out one serving. Weigh that. Then divide total by serving giving you number or servings. Simples!
  • redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    If you don't save the recipe until the end, you can go back and edit the number of servings. I add all the ingredients, cook it, then weigh it. I then divide the total weight by 8 oz (I always associate that with a cup) and that gives me the number of servings. Then I measure myself out 8 ounces or ever how many servings I want. I go back in to the recipe, still not saved and then put the number of servings in there and save. It takes me forever to cook dinner now, because I am so precise with my calories, I don't ever just "guessitmate".
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    ladle from pot to pot, thats how we do it ... even then its kind of an estimate as you never know how many pieces of chicken or pepper made it into each serving .... we also cook in bulk, we freeze portions for later use :)
  • Sure, I could go through after cooking and count out how many servings there are by manually ladling it from pot to pot.

Either do this (it's really not that hard!) or weigh the whole batch and determine your own serving size from that--I like to use 100 grams. So if the whole recipe weighs 1300 grams, it has 13 servings. If it weighs say 1350 grams, I still list it was 13 servings--the calorie count will be slightly higher than it actually is, but only by a few calories. I'd rather think I'm eating more than I actually am than less.

And go ahead and eat 1.5, 2, or more servings if it fits. Freeze the excess and you have an easy lunch.
  • I usually measure out my recipes by the cup, since I do a lot of whole grain pasta and brown rice dishes.
    I think I have a good estimate, but by the time we're putting away left overs, it seems like there is twice what I thought I made. I always feel like I cheat myself because I am so afraid of overestimating a serving that it seems like I measure way under what I could be eating.
    I guess i'll just have to start counting the out. I was just hoping there was an easier way.
    Technology has made me a lazy brat. :p haha
    Thank you guys! =]
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    I just always over estimate for the most part. I make everything a serving for 4 ( since I have 4 people in my family) sometimes it works out that it feeds 6-8 and I just go in and edit the recipe after that point and change my values for next time. Calorie counting is not a exact science so get as close to reality as you think you can. It's always better to over estimate than underestimate
  • goodarzi
    goodarzi Posts: 15 Member
    I have to be honest with you--it is annoying and very time consuming to do this. I don't want to be obsessed with it but I want it to be as accurate as possible. I've done it few different ways. I've measured each item as I combine them to make a casserole or a soup, then add that all together. I've also weighed the pot/pan I'm going to be using, zeroed out the scale, and then see what it all weighs once it everything is assembled. I know it's not 100% but should be pretty close. Then I decide how much should be a serving by weight. For something like a lasanaga or baked zita, I can eyeball it and usually go with 1/8th as a servings but left overs can be harder to eyeball. :-/ So I prefer to get the weight.

With regular where this is only one or two incredients it's not that hard but for soups, casseroles, meatloafs, etc it can be be very time consuming. It can be difficult when you are cooking for the family.

I ordered a scale from amazon for like 10 bucks that is digital, and shows me grams, ounces, fl oz, etc so that also makes it easier too.
  • I weigh it and then divide it by the serving amounts.
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

^^ I use this to get the nutritional info on homeade recipes and then add them into "my foods" in case i ever make it again.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    This used to be a problem for me as well. I am used to cooking for 7 people, but my children are growing and moving on with life, so right now it's just 5 of us. I've been on MFP since April of last year and have learned a lot about portion size, calories, measuring food, and all that happy stuff. Anyway, this is what I've started to do when making a dish:

When making a dish, I go to my "FOOD" section of MFP, then click on "RECIPES", then click on "ENTER NEW RECIPE". I title it however I want, enter all the ingredients (for example, 1lb of pasta, 1 lb Johnsonville Italian sausage, canned tomatoes/2 15oz., and so on), then I decide if I would like it to feed 5, 6, or however many people, but it's flexible at this point.

Let's say that I want that dish to feed the 5 of us for dinner and have leftovers for 2 the next day. I enter "7" in the serving area of the recipe page, and it tells me how many calories a serving will be. Now, how do you determine how much a serving is? Eyeball it? You could... Maybe there is a better way, but I have been measuring out the entire dish, cup by cup, so that I am as accurate as possible for my serving sizes. For easy math, I'll assume that with this dish the total cups measured came out to 14. That would make each serving a generous 2 cups.

What if you decide that the calorie count for that 7 servings is too high? (I've had this happen.) You can then choose to increase the number of servings per dish and decrease the portion size, or simply serve yourself half a portion. If there is a way to decrease the calories for that dish the next time you make it, you can then alter your recipe that you've entered into MFP, and be sure to hit "SAVE". I did this last night for a very delicious dish that originally called for 6 tablespoons of olive oil and half a stick of butter, a pound of spaghetti, a pound of chicken breast, lots of garlic, basil, a package of grape tomatoes, and parsley. I reduced the olive oil dramatically and it seemed to taste even better, plus it knocked off over 100 calories per serving. Win-win!

Have fun cooking (and eating) all the amazing Italian dishes that you have been, and let MFP's tools help you out. I hope this helped you!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    I actually go through and portion it out. My husband made a crock pot of chili the other day. I went through and decided that I wanted two ladles for a "serving." I then counted how many ladles were in the crockpot and used that number. I know its a bit tedious, but I'll never have to do it for chili again. :bigsmile:
  • Measure out how many cups are in the pots and bowls you use the most. Mark the lines on the outside with a permanent marker. A full 3 qt pot will always be 12 cups - no need to measure out scoops every time! And as long as you measure what goes in your mouth, it doesn't matter what every one else ate and how much is left over! Just make sure you don't delete the recipe before you dig out the left overs out of the freezer!
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Weigh what you cooked. Then ladle out one serving. Weigh that. Then divide total by serving giving you number or servings. Simples!

This is a GREAT idea. Now I have a way to measure servings for soups and casseroles and stuff, yay!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    I make a whole recipe one serving and then portion it out at the end to see how much there is and use the fraction of a serving to determine calories. It stinks that the recipe function makes you determine number of servings up front, but the fraction option seems to be working for me.

this
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    :flowerforyou: I measure the finished recipe cup by cup, not that bad since after dinner I just portion things into single servings - or if I want to put it all in a bigger container I still just fill it up cup by cup. But there are a lot of other good ideas here and I might start using some of them!