Giving up the alcohol

Options
ok help me out guys and gals ........... I'm absolutely fine when I'm at work Mon-Friday during the day. Foodwise its crackers, fruit, and alls ok.

The problem is the evenings when I LOVE my wine! I just cant seem to say no. For me its a wind down after work.

I'm sure if I gave up the wine, I'd be half my size! The other evening I had a wine glass with water in it, to see if I could trick myself, but it just didnt do the job.

Any ideas folks??

Replies

• jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    How about adding some soda water to the wine and making a spritzer? Or just diluting it with plain water :noway:

It's a thought, hope it helps!
  • gilsalliss
    Options
    I've tried that too - but prefer the taste of straight wine - did wonder if I should have joined AA instead of this site ;-)

Great signature btw - same applies here!
  • Kyliemish
    Kyliemish Posts: 29
    Options
    I was just watching a show saying you should drink a glass of red wine a night to put 5 years on your life! Hehe. Always thought it was a healthy thing? Idk.
    For me, I have a beer a day to help with breastfeeding, I used to drink WAY more before that, and yeah, it was a hard to give up just because I looked forward to it so much!

I haven't read any stats or anything on weight loss and having a one drink just to unwind (for sanity's sake too!) It's binge drinking that screwed with my metabolism and weight up's and downs, that I have defiently noticed being way more normal now that I stick to just one a day, or even one a week, depending if I really want a beer that bad.
    And all those carbs! So yeah, I always do feel a 'lil guilty after!
  • tansyf
    tansyf Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can't help because I'm totally the same, have tried a few gin and slim line tonics, I drink loads less that way and its mainly 'water' but I still crave my glass of red sadly :-) if you find a solution, please pass it on :-) xxxxx
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    I've tried that too - but prefer the taste of straight wine - did wonder if I should have joined AA instead of this site ;-)

Great signature btw - same applies here!

Thank you :smile:

I prefer it straight as well. Maybe I'll join you at AA :laugh:
  • rs1177
    rs1177 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm the same way, I love having a glass of red wine, especially when Friday comes. But I have really cut back the past few months and I do feel so much better, especially the next day. Starting this past Monday I decided to try to go the rest of this month without having one glass just to see if it might speed up some weight loss! There is a lot of sugar in wine! It is hard though I know! I'm just hoping to get through this weekend!
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    wine is my biggest downfall too.:wink::wink:

i dunno about you, but i can not drink just 1 glass!:cry: i want 3 or none!:noway: :noway:

so, i'm trying to go w/out. :angry:
    and/or i budget in the calories.:frown:
    and/or i fill my glasses w/ ice cubes, then pour the wine. :huh:
    at first, my glasses r not watered down at all!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hope that can help u a bit!

robin:heart:
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My doctor's been telling me for years to drink a glass of red wine with dinner. I dont like the taste of it so I just cant do it. My sister mixes her wine with diet ginger-ale/sprite/7up. We used to drink it like that when we were kids. YES...kids. Im Italian. Wine was the beverage at the table.
  • gilsalliss
    Options
    Well at least I'm happy to see I'm not the only one!

I only joined a week or so ago, I managed to cut the food right down in that first week and still lose 5 lb, whilst still drinking wine.

I'm now coming up for my second weigh in (3 days) and somehow already know that I wont be as lucky second time round!

Although saying that, if I continue to drink my wine, but cut back my food, even 1lb a week is better than none, right?
  • amesnc
    amesnc Posts: 32
    Options
    I am in the same boat with all of you! I love my wine and I hate having to measure out my servings :grumble:

I have been drinking 5 oz a night of white wine and adding a couple of ice cubes. It seams to make it last a bit longer. I also don't have a problem managing my food and exercise but I really want to have another glass of vino...especially since my super in shape husband gets to have another :mad:

I am open to soulutions too! I thought about making sangria so maybe the fruit juice would allow me to feel like I am drining more but I haven't figured out a "healthy" version. Sigh....
  • gilsalliss
    Options
    I also don't have a problem managing my food and exercise but I really want to have another glass of vino...especially since my super in shape husband gets to have another :mad:

Damn husbands - mine can drink brandy and coke until it comes out of his ears! He's as fit as f ........... puts me to shame, gyms, cycles ..................................... basically everything I dont! :angry:
  • kmurph37
    kmurph37 Posts: 16
    Options
    I was a HUGE beer drinker. I just decided that I wanted to see my children get married and have kids of their own and get myself healthier. I would drink a ton everyday. I was losing(some) weight and still drinking but I didn't eat enough to absorb it and was feeling like crap the next day. When I stopped, the weight just fell right off and I feel so much better. Don't get me wrong, I do have a night once a month or every other month that I drink some(when the kids are gone), but we all deserve to let loose once in awhile.
  • gilsalliss
    Options
    well done to you, but really? ONCE A MONTH? *kitten*! I've gotta start getting my head round this!
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i'm with you on this one. I really look forward to 2-3 nights a week, coming home from work and unwinding with a drink and a movie. But sometimes one drink turns into two or three and before I know it I'm tearing into a bag of Doritos. I know it's my downfall and if I cut it out I would probably drop the pounds much faster but it's not easy. I've been counting the drink calories but its unhealthy empty alcohol calories so cant be very good. Wow. Just writing this is making reevaluate whether or not to have a drink tonight.
  • gilsalliss
    Options
    well what can I say, well done you too I've already had a drink so I'm a bit too late for re-evaluating tonight. Perhaps i'll try that tomorrow, but then I'm out tomorrow night :indifferent:

but on a different note, we're all here to help each other right, so my downfall is your correction right?
  • amesnc
    Options
    Wow. Just writing this is making reevaluate whether or not to have a drink tonight.

I was thining the same thing but I did a decent work out tonight....and my darn husband has already had 3 beers! What the heck! It is Friday! :drinker:
  • amesnc
    Options
    I also don't have a problem managing my food and exercise but I really want to have another glass of vino...especially since my super in shape husband gets to have another :mad:

Damn husbands - mine can drink brandy and coke until it comes out of his ears! He's as fit as f ........... puts me to shame, gyms, cycles ..................................... basically everything I dont! :angry:

UGH, mine too! But I am slowly catching back up with him on the fitness (key word is SLOWLY!).
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    2 beers in and I have a 5k tomorrow.......I suck lol
  • RoxieFoston
    Options
    I don't think we are supposed to give up everything we like,
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a glass of wine if it's in my calories. I actually just finished a glass of white wine a little while ago :D As long as it doesn't push you over your calories, I'd say drink up! In moderation of course.