Bulking up Scrambled Eggs

Options
Hi All, my favorite "go to" breakfast is scrambled eggs and toast - and used to carry most of the day till lunch - but recently have found them letting me down before lunch - could you suggest some healthy add in's?? Thanks so much!! :)

Replies

• Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    a snack in between? nuts or a dry bread with peanut butter, or low fat cottage cheese
  • 699mikep
    Options
    i like to add some turkey bacon or turkey sausage
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I like to load mine up with onions, peppers, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, salsa, etc. Also, instead of the toast I would have either potatoes or oatmeal.
  • michael7585
    Options
    I always eat eggs and then oatmeal.
  • dasein83
    Options
    How about adding some spinach to the side? Or scrambling something into the eggs? Sometimes I'll do an egg scramble with added extras. Anything from onion, tomato, spinach, mushrooms, or whatever you fancy that's reasonably low calorie.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I like smoked fish as an add on, Salmon, Trout, Haddock, plenty of choices that go well with scrambled egg.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have an omelette instead - 3 eggs, onion, mushroom, spinach, whatever other veg and 40g reduced fat cheese, maybe a bit of ham, makes a filling meal with loads of protein. especially with some baked beans on the side!
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just made some with 2 oz of leftover roast butternut squash that I diced up and 1/2 oz of aged white cheddar. Those 2 ingredients add about 77 calories to your eggs. For color & crunch chop 1 oz of red bell pepper.
  • lele51
    Options
    I occasionally like a Mexican breakfast so to my scrambled eggs I add salsa, cheese, tomato and lots of lettuce. Easy to fix and very satisfying!
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I like to put whatever veggies I have on hand in along with salsa and maybe a little cheese. Then, I'll roll it up in a high fiber whole grain tortilla with a little fat free sour cream, some sriracha, and a little lettuce! I often do that for lunch, too. Breakfast burritos = awesomesauce. :love:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I add veggies and either sausage or bacon. I like red or green peppers, onion, tomato, spinach, mushrooms, etc.

My son does the same but also adds cheese. Sometimes he chops a bit of smoked salmon to add to his eggs.

We both like half an avocado sliced on the side. YUM xx
  • Diamond1014
    Diamond1014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I make scrambled eggs on the weekends, I do 1-2 eggs, 1 cup of spinach, some tomato, mushrooms, onion ect.. basically load it up with veggies and use the egg to hold it all together, the low cal veggies keep me on track but the eggs give me the morning calories I need to hold me over. I find I'm not hungry untill around 12-1 depending on when i eat it :)

Hope that helps :)
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I make mine with onions, tons of green peppers, and tomatoes. I also add 1 oz of light cream cheese. It keeps me full for hours. BTW, I use two egg whites, one full egg.
  • PG58
    PG58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the turkey bacon idea.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Canadian bacon is a good lean option, but it does pack a ton of sodium.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I scramble an egg with mushrooms, and put on a tortilla with melted cheese, avocado, lettuce, scallions or red onion and salsa. So good! under 300 calories and filling! mmmmmm now I want one.. LOL
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    My scrambled eggs are loaded with sauteed (in olive oil) onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, celery, zucchini, 1-2oz bacon, sausage or ham, 1oz grated cheese for a good solid meal for about 250 cals per serving.
  • tlesa88
    tlesa88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has recently added cottage cheese to his and he absolutely loves it! A little extra protein boost :) Also I would add mushrooms, low calorie and they are delicious!
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I put spinach in my eggs and sometimes ham if I have some. It really bulks if up and keeps me full. I also use salsa,
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi All, my favorite "go to" breakfast is scrambled eggs and toast - and used to carry most of the day till lunch - but recently have found them letting me down before lunch - could you suggest some healthy add in's?? Thanks so much!! :)

This was my omelet sandwich lunch last Friday:

4 large eggs
    2 slices Swiss cheese
    170 g mushrooms
    3 tbsp crumbled bacon
    2 slices Dave's Killer Bread (the 21-grain loaf)

1,135 calories
    82g carbs
    47g fat
    15g fiber
    99g protein

I didn't need my usual pre-lifting snack after devouring this beast. LOL. :laugh:

2dj895y.jpg