Crossfit Questions

I'm generally a runner, and since race season is over here in Austin (had the big Austin LIVESTRONG Marathon a little over a week ago), I thought to myself, "Hmm, how can I abuse my body in a new way??" so I'm starting crossfit today. A friend of mine referred me to her CF box, and I'm going into a beginner class this evening to get my feet wet and as informed as I think I am, I'm still nervous that I'm going to die/puke/make a fool of myself.

I'm not a stranger to weight lifting (completed NROWL4W last year, which is how I lost most of the 28lbs), but there are a few things in the WODS this particular gym lists online that I'm not 100% familiar with. So, my experiences crossfitters, what should I expect? What type of shoes should I wear (I have a graveyard of running shoes in my closet, all different drops 4mm, 8mm, 10mm)?? Should I wear my k-tape or compression socks for the slightly nagging achilles tendonitis I've got in my left ankle?

One of my running buddies is trying this out with me, so I won't be alone in my awkward misery, but I'm sooo nervous I'm not going to be able to hang!! Any advice or just words of encouragement??

Replies

• IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    I would be terrified!!! You will have to keep me informed every step of the way. Since I am just starting the racing thing, maybe I will be able to leap into this in fall. The thought makes me wanna ralph!
  • Bump! I just started my first CrossFit session yesterday and I'm hurting all over!! Curious to know what others think. I'm going again in Wednesday, that is, if I can lift my arms :tongue: .
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Bump! I just started my first CrossFit session yesterday and I'm hurting all over!! Curious to know what others think. I'm going again in Wednesday, that is, if I can lift my arms :tongue: .

My friend who goes to this gym told me the other day "You'll do great! I mean, you won't really be able to move your arms for like a week, but you'll get used to it" haha---looks like washing my hair isn't happening this week!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    You are going to be great and love it! As a runner I wear my minimalist Merril's to CF. The less cushioning between your foot and the floor, the better. Have fun!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Bump. Had my first experience with bear complexes last night, and I fell in love. I am just beginning the running season, but my interest in crossfit is kindled!!

I will have to check out NROWL4W as well. Right now my experience with weights is only from the P90X program.

That being said, I have no pertinent advice for you, my apologies!! But good luck and have fun. :flowerforyou:
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Expect to bring your A-game!

Best advice I can give you... if you are unsure of the proper form for a certain lift or movement - ASK. The coach should go over it before the beginning of the WOD anyways, but dont be afraid to ask for additional clarification if you are unsure.

Also, I would definitely talk to your coach and let them know about your tendonitis so they know to help you scale any movements that may aggrevate it.

Dont be nervous! (I know, easier said than done!) You're going to love it!
  • Hey! I'm sure there are more experienced crossfitters on here, but I've been doing it for a few months now.
    I like wearing nike free run sneakers- something light and flexible. In the beginning don't worry about what sneakers you're wearing! It doesn't matter all that much. Your trainer or coach should show you every move. Don't worry about not knowing how to do the exercises beforehand. You should be taught and guided on all exercises.

Don't be afraid- everyone starts somewhere. The workouts should be challenging, but you'll survive! :D

I can't tell you if you need compression socks. This seems like something to ask your doctor or go with how you feel. Expect to be jumping and lifting.
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    After being scared for over a year, I'm trying crossfit as well. I like it so far!. People will tell you that its horrible and encourages bad form leading to injury, but I feel like if you know your limits and don't get caught up in the competition of getting a better time than others then crossfit is as safe as any other type of workout.

I love lifting so I really enjoy that part. I have been able to modify all of the excercises I am unable to do (pullups are not happening at my current weight) and no one ever encourages me to use more weight than I can handle. There are folks in my class that do the strength movements with just PVC pipe, because they are still unsure of the movements.

As with anything you control how much you do and what you get out of it.
  • I've always wanted to try CrossFit, but I've never taken the plunge!
  • I'm a Crossfit Level 1 Instructor and have been doing Crossfit for nearly 2 years now. From what I get at the Crossfit Box I go to, every workout is scalable to your ability level. We go over every movement that will be done that day, being skill work or in the WOD itself, so that everyone is familiar with the movements. If you aren't able to do it, or aren't as comfortable, we ask that you don't use heavy weight or the RX weight, or we sub the movement for something that is similar.

Give it a go. I was an avid runner in high school and college, and I'm highly addicted to Crossfit! Let me know what you think.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Also, if you do end up getting into it, check out the group CrossFit Love on here.... its full of incredible crossfitters with great advice.
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    I'm in the same boat! I've been wanting to try out CF for forever and lo and behold, a box opened right around the corner from my house. I keep wanting to do one of their Saturday drop in classes but then I think of a reason not to (don't want to look stupid, intimidated by the workouts, not in shape enough, everyone in their pics looks thin etc etc etc).

Keep us posted on how it goes!
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    For shoes I wear my flatter shoes when the workout is mostly weights & my cushy shoes when there will be running.
  • Bump! I just started my first CrossFit session yesterday and I'm hurting all over!! Curious to know what others think. I'm going again in Wednesday, that is, if I can lift my arms :tongue: .

My friend who goes to this gym told me the other day "You'll do great! I mean, you won't really be able to move your arms for like a week, but you'll get used to it" haha---looks like washing my hair isn't happening this week!

How funny, I didn't wash my hair this morning because everything hurt :tongue:. Couldn't sleep or type either and my knees are black and blue from doing knee push-ups.

Seriousely though, it was nice. Well, not nice because I felt like puking at the end, but I made it and I'm proud!! You'll be too!!
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Hey Mer! I think you'll love it! Go comfortable. The times I've gone, I've worn shorts, a sports bra, t-shirt and my compression socks. Not only did it keep my splints at bay, but it also helped keep my legs scrape free with the higher box jumps I messed up on :laugh: As for shoes, if it's a running/rowing day, wear your running shoes. Otherwise, I'd go for Vibrams, if you have them. If not, shoes with a nice grip and a good flex to them. Don't bother bringing headphones! Since you're not a newb to working out, make sure you keep your form in mind as the workouts are so fast, sometimes you sacrifice form for quickness and can hurt yourself. Other than that, the trainers will probably give you tips along the way. That's about it from my experience!

3, 2, 1, GO!
  • I'm a Crossfit Level 1 Instructor and have been doing Crossfit for nearly 2 years now. From what I get at the Crossfit Box I go to, every workout is scalable to your ability level. We go over every movement that will be done that day, being skill work or in the WOD itself, so that everyone is familiar with the movements. If you aren't able to do it, or aren't as comfortable, we ask that you don't use heavy weight or the RX weight, or we sub the movement for something that is similar.

Give it a go. I was an avid runner in high school and college, and I'm highly addicted to Crossfit! Let me know what you think.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    If it's a good CF box, the trainers will help you every step of the way. They'll teach you the form for each lift, what all that crazy terminology means, and they'll tell you how to scale everything back. They'll be very good at working with you where you are, and feeling out your needs, goals, etc.

Also, all the folks I met at my box were so so supportive, and everyone was new sometime. They helped me, too, and made it easy to ask questions.

Good luck, and don't be intimidated. A lot of folks that show up at our gym haven't even been working out regularly, and are between 30 and 50. You'll be fine.
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    I have been doing Crossfit since October. Totally out of my comfort zone, but enjoy pushing myself. I also have been lifting weights since October. The bottom line is you are pushing yourself and everything is scaled. I can't do toes to bar YET, so I do sit ups. Push yourself, but work at your capabilities so you don't get injured. Wear low drop shoes because you do some weight stuff. Burns a lot of calories! Don't compare yourself to others, compare yourself to you and watch your progress.I do see people getting injured a lot. I think that's because people are trying to push themselves too much too fast, be sensible. BTW, I'm one of the oldest in the class.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    I just started in November! I haven't decided which shoes I like best yet, but I have lifted barefoot and enjoyed it, so I'm going to buy a nice flat pair of shoes. As a side note, at our box there have been several runners who supplemented some of their training with Crossfit and they all end up with great PRs! It's one of the reasons I joined CF in the first place. I'm just a amateur weekend 5k racer, but I wanted to be better and faster and CrossFit has helped!
  • I wore Nike Lunar Glides for the longest but felt they were ultimately too bulky/heavy for a lot of the things we did. I've found the Nike Frees actually contributed to my shin splints. If you go and get into it, look into Inov8s (you can find them really cheap on Zappos and other websites). They are light and made for Crossfit. The Reebok Nanos are great also.

I wear knees sleeves religiously because of an ongoing knee problem, so if you feel that your shin sleeves will help, wear them. Iv'e actually had less shin splints since starting crossfit then I've had in my whole life. But definitely, if something is uncomfortable or you aren't exactly sure how to do it, pull the coach to the side and ask. Most are MORE than willing to show you again to ensure you are doing the movements correctly. That's what they want above anything else.

Let me know if I can help you out at all!