Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is it possible to lose 40 pounds in a 3 month period?

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    If you are a man yes, and healthily too (jealous) girls no and not healthily, not that fast at least lol
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    It took me 8 months to lose 40 pounds.
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    It is possible. I lost 30-40lbs in that amount of time a few years ago and kept most of it off, but I made a big life change to accomplish that.

I went from someone who never exercised at all to working out 5 days per week. I started the couch to 5k program and when I finished the program, I continued to run a 5k as my workout and just focused on getting faster. I also did some weight lifting. During this time I was not counting calories, but was instead focusing on eating more vegetables and less cheese and refined flours ( I have a serious cheese problem). I was definitely eating over 1500 calories per day...I don't think I ever eat too few calories.

I think it worked because I was really dedicated to the lifestyle change. I remember looking back one day and realizing that I hadn't missed a weekday at the gym in several months.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Not doing it healthy and you will gain it all right back and possibly even more! :(
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Getting liposuction at multiple places on your body. Going to the moon.
  • ChrisR0se
    ChrisR0se Posts: 1,855 Member
    Maybe...right leg or left leg?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    That's ~28% of your body weight.

Shoot for 3 months of learning a healthier lifestyle that results in a slow weight loss.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Honestly hun....I would try for a more sensible goal. Not only will you have better chances of succeeding, you will more inclined to continue after you come back from China.

You might not be able to lose a lot of weight, but you might be able to tighten up a bit before your trip. A smart diet with a heavy weight lifting/HIIT schedule might tone you up a bit.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    I didn't lose 40 in 3 months, but I did lose that much in 4 months. I weighed 179 on Dec. 24, 2011 & by May 1st I was down to 138. All I did was walk 4 miles a day and stayed under on my cals, having at least the minimum of 1200. I ate healthy, quality food including lean chicken, lean beef, fish, tons of vegetables, yogurt, nuts and seeds. I didn't feel hungry or deprived either. I'll also add that I was sedentary when I started out so that's probably why the weight came off so fast once I got up off my *kitten*.
    Good luck, you can do this! Just do it in a healthy way and don't think about the '40 lbs', just do what you need to do, one day at a time, and it will come off.
  • if yo'u're willing to be on the Biggest loser perhaps; it's just not worth the risk!!! When you lose that fast you are losing muscle and water. 1-2 has always been recommended to do the safe way! I lost 90 lbs. 78"s in 35 weeks & ended up with emergency gall bladder surgery a few yrs. ago. This wasn't meant to be sarcastic or hurtful.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Aim for about 15 pounds in three months. If you eat right and get regular exercise including strength training, that 15 pounds can make an amazing transformation.... a much better transformation than losing more pounds through starvation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,888 Member
    That's more than 2% of you body weight a week? Possible, but not likely without some funky side effects.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bviv89
    bviv89 Posts: 36 Member
    Aim for about 15 pounds in three months. If you eat right and get regular exercise including strength training, that 15 pounds can make an amazing transformation.... a much better transformation than losing more pounds through starvation.

Body composition is the answer. I am not a "qualified source" but losing inches will make more of an impact than just weight.

Read this:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I did it. Just over 40 lbs in just over 3 months. IIRC I ate around 1200 calories a day and did cardio for about 8 hours a week, plus some meager strength training with bodyweight and 20-lb dumbbells.

Stupidest thing I've ever done, and that's really saying something. I've done some dumb things before.

If I had actually been smart, instead of an idiot, back then I would have lost weight much more slowly, done much less cardio, and a much more comprehensive strength program.

I could have lost that weight over 8-9 months and ended up with 10+ lbs more muscle mass and looked a million times better, as well as saved myself over a year of work building that muscle back up.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    I'd say that it's not possible. Certainly not in a healthy way, and probably not without sacrificing a lot of lean body mass (the stuff that actually makes you look good).

To lose one pound of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you eat. Let's assume for a second that you can burn 100% fat with no lean body mass loss (highly unlikely). Over the next 3 months you'd need to burn 140,000 calories more than you consume. That would mean burning 1,555 more calories than you eat every single day. At your stature, that's probably more than you currently burn in an entire day.

Put frankly, that is simply not going to happen. I'm a 5'10 male and it took me six months of disciplined eating and dedicated working out to shift 40 pounds.

Instead, scale your goal back to something achievable - 10lb, maybe 15-20lb max. Learn good eating habits. Each week do 2 or 3 days of cardio and 2 or 3 days of resistance training. The weight will come off in a healthy, controlled manner, you'll not lose too much lean body mass, and even better - it will stay off for as long as you sustain your new way of living.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, and sadly you will probably continue looking until you find someone that will sell you something promising to reach your goal. I hope you choose the healthy option.
  • stumblinthrulife
    I did it. Just over 40 lbs in just over 3 months. IIRC I ate around 1200 calories a day and did cardio for about 8 hours a week, plus some meager strength training with bodyweight and 20-lb dumbbells.

Stupidest thing I've ever done, and that's really saying something. I've done some dumb things before.

If I had actually been smart, instead of an idiot, back then I would have lost weight much more slowly, done much less cardio, and a much more comprehensive strength program.

I could have lost that weight over 8-9 months and ended up with 10+ lbs more muscle mass and looked a million times better, as well as saved myself over a year of work building that muscle back up.

Listen to him, he's done some really dumb stuff. There was this one time.... oh, sorry Jon. Didn't see you were still standing there :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    15 lbs is a much more reasonable goal. There's no reason to panic over your sister's wedding. Just eat at a reasonable deficit, exercise, and get a great dress. Be happy with whatever progress you're able to make by then. You're setting yourself up for another yo-yo diet by trying to do this as fast as possible. You want it to stick right? So learn to do it the right way, with patience.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Listen to him, he's done some really dumb stuff. There was this one time.... oh, sorry Jon. Didn't see you were still standing there :laugh:

Hey man. That was just one time and only because you told me it wouldn't hurt. Never again!
  • leemay001
    leemay001 Posts: 13 Member
    40 pounds.. hmm, so roughly 18 kg. In approx 12 weeks? No way. 1kg (2.2 pounds) per week would be the maximum safe amount in my opinion. That's my ideal weight loss goal, but half of that is more reasonable. You want to get down to 100 lb (45 kg)? That's got to be well underweight, even for 5' 1" right? That gives you a BMI of 18.9 - ideally you shouldn't be below a BMI of 20. Aim to lose 20 lb and do full body workouts to tone at the same time. You will look more lean by building some extra core strength and you'll increase your BMR (not to be mistaken with BMI) at the same time.

That's what I suggest anyway.
  • stumblinthrulife
    I sometimes wonder if the mods make these posts to weed out people promoting unhealthy activity.