Body Fat Measurement

Options
I have done the Body Fat Calculator online. But I wonder where I could go to get an accurate measurement of body fat. To a gym? To a doctor? What would you all recommend?

Replies

• EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recently had my body fat composition measured in a Bod Pod. The Exercise and Sports Science department at the university where I work offers this service, although the rates differ for the public and for employees. You could try googling Bod Pod and your city to see what results you receive. A gym may have this service as well, or they may offer to measure with calipers.
  • TimmyToskas
    Options
    The Bod Pod like the woman above stated is the most accurate way. It's a tank of water and you actually get in it. You will have to find which University/College in your area has one. I paid $150 to have it done here with an appointment. They had me not eat from the day before. The other thing you can do is get a biometric scale per say from Walmart (get an upper range one $30-40) which gives you a close/approximate number. Make note that everyday this can change on your scale because of the water in your body which throws off the readings on these scales . =) Good Luck
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I find that there is a LOT of variability between the different websites that estimate body fat. Last week, one site said that my BF was 38% and another said that I had 26%! That's a BIG difference. Several said that I am about 30% which I guess to be reasonably accurate based on my fat caliper readings. But someone told me that they are inaccurate and that depending on who does the measurement that it can vary a lot. The most accurate is the thing that they do in the water tank but it isn't available everywhere and I gather that it is rather expensive. Does anyone know anything about those bathroom type scales that purport to measure body fat by impedance? If all else fails, you can always do the "grab" test. A friend told me that for every handful of fat than you can grab, you should estimate 5 pounds of fat.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I recently had my body fat composition measured in a Bod Pod. The Exercise and Sports Science department at the university where I work offers this service, although the rates differ for the public and for employees. You could try googling Bod Pod and your city to see what results you receive. A gym may have this service as well, or they may offer to measure with calipers.

This... so the bod pod type thing or calipers. All measurements have some error but some are much more accurate than others.

The home scales that measure body fat can be a decent guide but are not completely accurate. I have one that does. I know it won't be totally accurate but I use it just as a guide.

I believe calipers are more accurate than scales and the bod pod more accurate than calipers.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will check around my area and see what I can find offered. If all else fails, I will get a scale.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I find that there is a LOT of variability between the different websites that estimate body fat. Last week, one site said that my BF was 38% and another said that I had 26%! That's a BIG difference.

One online calculator calculated my body fat percentage as a minus number.... I have no idea how it managed that, I definitely do not have less than zero body fat LOL
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options

hmm I tried this and for me its way off, says im only 28 % fat, realistically I think it should be way more than that, since I have 75 lbs to lose to my goal weight, and could safely lose another 25 lbs ontop of that, I should be half fat lol
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    DON'T GET ONE OF THE SCALES! They're a total waste of money and notoriously inaccurate. Mine keeps saying my body fat is 38%...I'm 5'1.5" and 130 lbs, which is a size 4 or 6...I've just finished 2 rounds of P90X and have started Insanity...believe me, I do not have 38% body fat. The online calculators aren't 100% accurate, but they're probably the most practical one for most people. Whatever you use, just use the same methods every time so you will at least know how much you're going up or down.