Nutrition Bars from Biggest Loser

Options
missy0936
missy0936 Posts: 1,507 Member
Hey Guys, I watch biggest loser and am a big big fan of Jilliam Michaeals but I missed it. What kind of bars did she give to Danni last night?

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Uber by Larabar. I just picked up the banans foster one today. Can't wait to try it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Larabars! They're so YUMMY!!
  • missy0936
    missy0936 Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Great thanks ladies
  • irishscootz
    Options
    I used to be a fan of the show, well I watched the first handful of seasons, but I just read an article about one of the previous contestants. I'm not sure that I would ever watch that show now!

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Uber by Larabar. I just picked up the banans foster one today. Can't wait to try it.

that was some killer advertising by lara bar lol
  • mudbugs07
    mudbugs07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Now the real question is how much does Jillian get paid by larabars.
  • swade444
    swade444 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question because I started googling to find out what the bars were as well, I couldn't remember. Can't wait to try them! Regarding the blog about the show I think it's important to take it with a grain of salt. I think that given the morbidly obese situation these folks are in, they need to do a little bit of shock and awe in regards to isolating them from people in their lives and getting them to change and save their own lives…

Anyway, thanks for the post! Can't wait to try these bars. I picked up a "KIND" Nuts and Spices bar because I thought that's what it was. It has 7 g fiber; but only 6g of protein. Tastes great but with the same 200 calories I would rather get more protein that the Uber has.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I picked up a "KIND" Nuts and Spices bar because I thought that's what it was. It has 7 g fiber; but only 6g of protein. Tastes great but with the same 200 calories I would rather get more protein that the Uber has.

Uber/Lara bars don't have more protein than the Kind bars. They are made of dried fruit and some nuts that are just squished together and formed into a bar shape (well, technically into a long strip and then cut into bars). Both the regular and Uber Larabars only have about 4 grams of protein to their 14 or 15 grams of carbs and 16 or 17 grams of sugar.

Also the Uber versions of the bars are uber because they take the same idea of squished together fruits and nuts and then add honey and brown rice syrup, so basically only increasing the calories from 200-230 and only adding sugar/carbs instead of any nutritional value.

They are admittedly tasty, but so are just the dried fruits and nuts before they get all squished together. ;)
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The advertising on Biggest loser drives me nuts. The trainers would NEVER eat multigrain cheerios or tell their contestants to, but they pawn it off on us.

I love Larabars though, I eat about one a day. I bought a bunch at target's seasonal section the other day 30% off value boxes so they were $5 for 8 bars. I wouldn't mind trying the Uber bars if they have the right balance. I like something filling with a fair amt of protein. I'd rather just eat a banana than have processed banana though, ya know?
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I picked up a "KIND" Nuts and Spices bar because I thought that's what it was. It has 7 g fiber; but only 6g of protein. Tastes great but with the same 200 calories I would rather get more protein that the Uber has.

Uber/Lara bars don't have more protein than the Kind bars. They are made of dried fruit and some nuts that are just squished together and formed into a bar shape (well, technically into a long strip and then cut into bars). Both the regular and Uber Larabars only have about 4 grams of protein to their 14 or 15 grams of carbs and 16 or 17 grams of sugar.

Also the Uber versions of the bars are uber because they take the same idea of squished together fruits and nuts and then add honey and brown rice syrup, so basically only increasing the calories from 200-230 and only adding sugar/carbs instead of any nutritional value.

They are admittedly tasty, but so are just the dried fruits and nuts before they get all squished together. ;)

And they're super easy to make yourself for way cheaper!
  • KristenRidl
    KristenRidl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I used to be a fan of the show, well I watched the first handful of seasons, but I just read an article about one of the previous contestants. I'm not sure that I would ever watch that show now!

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

SUPER INTERESTING article. I love watching Biggest Loser, but many of the things Kai spoke to have crossed my mind at some point. The blatant manipulation of the public, and the way the contestants are treated is TERRIBLE!! BAD, BAD NBC.
  • wolfchild59
    Options

And they're super easy to make yourself for way cheaper!

Also true. And I add protein powder to my home made ones to up the protein values. :)
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Recipes people!? ;)
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I prefer Quest bars for fewer calories and MUCH more protein. Most of the ones I get are 170 calories and 20 grams of protein.
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    The price and sucralose always turn me off from buying the Quest bars. I know they have a line with Stevia, but I've never seen them locally. But the regular ones are about $2.50 per bar and my max for an individual bar tends to be around $1.50. The rare exception is the occasional Rise Protein bar for $1.99, but that's usually only if I'm in a crunch or really craving that particular bar.

I tried signing up for the Quest sample years ago, to see if they tasted good enough to try to find cheaply online, but I never got them. And I have a really strong sensitivity to the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners, so I wouldn't want to commit to a box of them all at once for the reduced per bar price.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Recipes people!? ;)

I get mine from here: http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/03/how-to-make-homemade-lara-bars/
    You can totally improve and create your own. I loved the blueberry muffin ones!
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options

SUPER INTERESTING article. I love watching Biggest Loser, but many of the things Kai spoke to have crossed my mind at some point. The blatant manipulation of the public, and the way the contestants are treated is TERRIBLE!! BAD, BAD NBC.
    I only watch the show for motivation....if a 300lbs person can run on a treadmill, I know my 170lbs butt can too.
    As for the blatant advertising and what I see as selling out, I try my best to ignore that part of the show.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Lara bars are amazing! I love them!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Now the real question is how much does Jillian get paid by larabars.

I liked that they mentioned that Larabars were a big supporter of the show. They in no way tried to hide it as an advertisement. I have no issues with the way that it was presented.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I prefer Quest bars for fewer calories and MUCH more protein. Most of the ones I get are 170 calories and 20 grams of protein.

This, over and over again. I haven't found another bar that even comes without close to the same macro layout, without the carbs being almost all sugar (whereas with the Quest bars it's almost all fiber).