Self acceptance, the things that don't change

Options
So MFP is a great place to regain control of our lives and to work on being happier and healthier people. During our times here we change a lot in many positive ways. I wanted to create a thread for those things that don't change, that we feel are somehow "less" than ideal, and how we've grown to accept them or how we'd like to be able to accept them. These personal "flaws" make us who we are inside, and they are just as important as the things we can change. So please feel free to add your own attributes which you can't change, but are beginning to accept for what they are, or that you'd like to be able to accept.

For me, I had a DVT (blood clot) in my entire left leg when I was 18 that has left me with vein damage and a larger than normal leg. Since then it's always been 2 inches bigger than my other leg. As I've lost weight, those two inches have become more noticeable as there is less mass total. All my progress pictures never show my leg. I refuse to wear shorts and skirts that show of my legs in public, except for when I'm jogging.

I first joined MFP to try to strengthen my leg. Starting C25K and biking has really helped with my circulation and issues I had with limping. Now I can run faster and longer than I could before the injury (I wasn't really active back then). Anyways, I know my health is getting better (probably better than ever), but those two inches still get me down from time to time. So I'd like to post pictures to stop being so vain and worried about looks and to be proud of who I've become because of my "flaw" or in spite of it.

Please post your acceptances as well. :)

IMG_1410_zps5f4eb927.jpg

IMG_1411_zps908aa1ce.jpg

Replies

• sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous!! Picture would have been better for one little thing...where is your smile!! And congrats on starting C25K....I keep saying I'm going to...just haven't!!
  • susanhardt
    susanhardt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of your success! There are all sorts of cute long, flowing sundresses that will hug your new figure.

I too have flaws that I try to hide. I have a 31 year old kidney transplant that I am very blessed that continues to work very well. I don't even have a total weight problem (I am on the lower side of weight for my height.) However, with a 31 year old transplant, I have started to have lots of side effect problems including osteoporosis from long term steroid use. The osteoporosis has affected my feet and hips pretty badly so it greatly limits what I can do for exercise. The steroids have given me a big muffin top which looks really weird since I am not overweight in total. I am also on chemotherapy which kills off my white blood cells which will attack my transplant. The chemotherapy causes permanent bruising on legs so I too do not want to wear shorts or anything that shows my legs. It also causes my hair to be very thin...

Sometimes, I just have to be happy that I have a working transplant. Good luck to you.
  • VISCIENTIST
    Options
    You look wonderful! Conrats on your weightloss. I thanks for showing us. I really don't think I would have noticed if you if you did not point it out.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

@sugboog29 I'm not good at multitasking, smiling and taking decent pictures is too hard. lol

@susanhardt Sounds like you've overcome a lot. Best of luck to you!

Anyone else have something their beginning to accept about themselves?
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Conrats on your weightloss. I thanks for showing us. I really don't think I would have noticed if you if you did not point it out.

Agreed!
  • JANANNA
    Options
    Accept the things you cannot change, change the things you can and have wisdom to know the difference.
    Like the rest of me, my legs are large and I don't have a dress or skirt in my wardrobe anymore - lots of tunics, leggings and slacks. My only drawback is bathers but that's one small thing in my life style. I wear them and. I er up with a sarong and just stay out of the water. Also ugly varicose veins prefer covered except when a bit tanned in the summer. Don't think it is vanity. Just look at it as good grooming and only you know. You'll be surprised how many people don't even notice what you feel so 'hung up' About - in fact by playing on your good points eg lovely face Nx smile and attitude - people will notice that! Good luck from a 65yo Nanny.
  • hatsuharu01
    hatsuharu01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think you look awesome! Flaw? I don't see one :) Keep it up and you should be proud of yourself and your accomplishments no matter what. Haven't you ever heard that if people talk about you then it's because they're jealous lol
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I dont think you can ever get very far in your journey until you realize this. Thanks for posting maybe giving those of us with less than perfect bodies encouragement to keep moving foward.