How to eat within allotted calories and feel satisfied

Options
TdaniT
TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
Since joing MFP I have lost 10 pounds and then gained back 3 pounds after going on vacation. I got out of the habit of logging my food and exercising which caused the weight gain. I am now fighting back! I am doing good at getting active again. I was walking on my treadmill for 30 mins each day to start. I have now added a couch-to-5K program that I am trying (and yes I have signed up for a 5K - scared)! I am also getting back on my Wii Fit. Eventually I will be going to the base gym (free) twice a week at the minimum.

My main problem though is food. I try to eat "right" and stay within my allotted calories but there are most days that I am not satisfied. And my weakness leads me to eat/snack poorly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

FYI - I am allotted 1420 calories per day. I am 5'3" and 182lbs. I want to get down to 130lbs.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I find that if I emphasize protein and fiber I seem to stay better satiated.

Also, you may want to get a second opinion on your calorie intake. Find your TDEE and go from there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    More protein, more fat, more fiber. Fewer carbs.

And more veggies.

You can have a filling, delicious meal for under 400 calories with a piece of lean meat and a whole lot of veggies.
  • tarakizer
    Options
    Have a small piece of protein with each snack to help stay satisfied longer. Any time I have fruit or veggies as a snack, I always also have either 1 ounces of cheese, small portion of nuts, or Greek yogurt with it. There are other protein options, but those are my frequent choices.

I was starving all day long before someone told me the protein with snack trick, and it has helped me tremendously.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Could I suggest you change your diary to "public"? Then we can see what you're currently eating and make some suggestions.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely consider eating more and gradually reducing your calories over time.

If you crash down to 1400 after previously eating 2000 + per day, your body will probably respond by spiking your hunger levels and making it harder to stick to a deficit. Try eating a few hundred less than you previously did, but take it slow. That being said, make sure your counts are accurate.

i find that it's better to eat more on the days that you exercise, and less on the ones that you don't. Try to eat smaller meals more often, and have some protein with them. Those tips keep my intake lower than it would otherwise be.

Adding more exercise to your days is a great idea. Strangely enough exercise helps to tame my hunger.
  • barenda_101
    Options
    More protein and fiber will help. Try sticking to whole grain when you have carbs and have lots of fibrous veggies as sides to your meals. Protein helps because it has less of an effect on your blood sugar (so you don't get as much of a crash and then a response from your body that you need to eat) - try to spend more calories on lean meats.
  • cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    LOTS of veggies. You can do fruit to just remember that fruit has a lot more calories than veggies. You can pretty much eat veggies all day and still be with in a healthy calorie count. NOTHING processed. Processed foods are all pretty much empty calories... and really bad for you.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Stick with high protein/high fiber foods. They fill you up, examples are as follows:

Cottage Cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Low Carb Wraps
    Lean protein meats
    Beef/Turkey Jerky
    Protein bars/shakes

Oddly enough, I find the food thing easy and the working out thing hard.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I feel that variety is the key. That plus eating enough. Many folks here don't eat enough and start with a 1200 calorie only diet and then wonder why they're always hungry. Folks need to eat at a deficit but still leave enough calories to eat for the day.

Eat bunch of everything. Rice/pasta/bread. Some protein. Some veggies. Some lentils. Some fruits. Little bit of everything. It will take time to learn how to eat enough to feel satisfied. Try to eat some veggies with your meals but do not try to live on salad only...
  • colson72687
    Options
    Try eating single helpings of vegetables (ie carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, etc.) and maybe even with a little ranch dressing to dip it into. Or single servings of fruit or nuts (ie. almonds, cashews - as long as they don't have tons of salt on them or are honey roasted). They are calories no matter what but they tend to fill you up more than if you grab for a snack and pick up something that's carbs. Even a few crackers isn't going to kill you if you eat them (a serving size or under) with a cheese wedge (ie. Laughing Cow light herbs and garlic wedge or Babybel light cheese wheel). Those are some of my go-to snacks and at the end of the day, you're having healthy snacks, filling yourself up more with those (and they last longer until your next mealtime), and you will see better results. Having a snack during the morning and afternoon between big meals is a good thing because it keeps your metabolism running so if you can eat healthy snacks, it's good for your body and you'll find yourself being full/satisfied without going over your "allotted calories". And on that topic too, don't beat yourself up if you go over your calories by a couple or even a hundred (that's what I try to give myself extra if I've worked out that day). As long as you're eating healthy and staying as close as possible to that number, you'll see progress!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Add more protein, it will help you stay fuller longer. Other than that just make sure you are eating over your bmr.
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    Eat smaller portions but eat slowly, your brain tells you you're full within 20mins.

Then if you get peckish later just have something low carb. I had this problem and has some chocolate protein cube bar things which were 70cals each and nibbled at them. Don't need them any more which is good as they weren't cheap...

I find that after a week or so of being strict my body doesn't get these cravings.
    If you do feel really hungry though it's best to eat, just make it small and use some will power. Your body will get used to it.

If you start thinking about food and just having a little something when you don't really need to, find something else to concentrate your mind on. Works for me!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Why not bump it up about 200 calories and see how you do? If your weight loss starts to stall or you gain then go back. You get to do this for your life so experiment.
  • beasilvac
    beasilvac Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree: portein protein protein. And choose wholewheat fos sidedishes: whole wheat rice, wholewheat pasta, whole wheat bread. You should'n t be hungry for hours. And don´t forget to eat at least 4 times a day. Good snacks: peanuts, almonds, yoghurt, hard boiled eggs, all of these are high on proteins and should keep u satisfied. Keep going ! Good luck!
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Go take a peak at what I just had for lunch... 4oz of baked chicken breast, a great big salad with cheese and pretzel rods on the side, and a big mug of hot tea, and let me tell you, I am STUFFED.

I generally end up coming in under my calorie goals, WITH room for a piece of cheesecake or a couple of cookies after dinner. It's totally possible, and no, you don't have to be hungry all the time. I blow my protein counts out of the water on a daily basis, mind you, but I have never figured out how to stay under the *all* the nutrient caps and still curb the need to snack.
  • dirtmagnets
    dirtmagnets Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    More protein, more fat, more fiber. Fewer carbs.

And more veggies.

You can have a filling, delicious meal for under 400 calories with a piece of lean meat and a whole lot of veggies.

Yes, that. My measurements are almost identical to yours, though I opted for a slower loss so I'm eating 1610 a day. I feel like I'm eating a huge amount of food most days, but I'm eating tons of roasted veggies, fresh veggies chopped up on green salads, and lots of chicken, turkey breast, yogurt, and eggs for easy protein. I'm also finding crispbreads, like Kavli and Wasa to be very satisfying replacements for regular bread.
    Also, are you throwing away calories on drinks? Switching to water only made a huge difference in how satisfied I felt with my calorie goal.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    What has worked for me was doing the Wild Rose Cleanse for 12 days - I was too scared of what would happen if I went 'against' it, and it's put me back on track. I have reintroduced foods (you can see my diary), but, have balanced out those 'bad' foods with lots more veggies and healthy foods. The cleanse definitely gave me a kick start.

For instance, my new fave dessert is to microwave unsweetened apple sauce and then add cinnamon. SO GOOD! I also know that I'd rather have say extra meat, or a LOT of guacamole instead of junk. This has all come about from the cleanse.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I find that if I emphasize protein and fiber I seem to stay better satiated.

Also, you may want to get a second opinion on your calorie intake. Find your TDEE and go from there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This^
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I found that by upping my protein intake I stayed satisfied longer. Also, you may try eating a little more. My stats are similar to yours and I eat 1800 calories a day and am losing.