afraid....

NewBeginning2010
NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been dieting since january but havent been working out. In the next week i plan on going to the gym again. I am scared that with the cardio and weight lifting my weigh in's will show gained weight from muscle. Although thats good weight i dont want to get discouraged because i understand but my mind doesnt. Is there anyway to keep this from happening? and if it does happen how do you get it to go back to losing?

Replies

• sinman22807
    sinman22807 Posts: 66 Member
    You should also do measurements. when you see your not losing weight itself you could be losing inches. Which could still give you to boost to keep going.. So along with weigh in's, do your measurements! Thats what I have always been told.
  • sinman22807
    sinman22807 Posts: 66 Member
    You should also do measurements. when you see your not losing weight itself you could be losing inches. Which could still give you to boost to keep going.. So along with weigh in's, do your measurements! Thats what I have always been told.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    If you have a LOT of weight to lose you won't gain weight. Muscle does weigh more but in order to gain an insane amount of muscle you would have to be eating a surplus of calories, where as now you're probably at a deficit to lose weight. You might gain water weight in the first few weeks when your muscles are under stress. On the plus side, muscle BURNS more calories at a resting rate so the more muscle % your have, the more calories you'll burn! In short, there is no downside to lifting weights and gaining muscle! Keep up the cardio to burn those extra cals, too! :happy:
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    ditto to what everyone else said. if you do enough cardio, the weight will still come off. just slowly build up on the strength training or maybe just start off with cardio for a little while and then add strength training. that's what i've been doing and i've noticed that i've gained a good amount of muscle definition just from cardio and the weight is still steadily coming off!
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Muscle does weigh more ...

Not being snarky at all, just wanted to clarify. Muscle weighs the same as fat. It doesn't matter if it's 5 pounds or 1 pound. However, muscle is more compact and takes up less space than fat. But I agree with everything else!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Sounds like it is good that you know that about yourself. If you are afraid of the scale I would stay off of it for a while. Try going 4 weeks without weighing but instead measure everything every week. Then you can see if you have lost inches. Once you get back onto the scale in 4 weeks you wont be afraid if you know that you lost inches!
This discussion has been closed.