Sweet potato

Options
Is a sweet potato a starch or a vegetable or both?

Replies

• filthyfit12
    Options
    I consider them as a starch since I usually pair them with green veggies. Either way, it's carbs.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Is a sweet potato a starch or a vegetable or both?

Yes.
    From wiki:
    Its large, starchy, sweet-tasting, tuberous roots are a root vegetable
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    sweet potato is good twin of evil carb potato
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Both, but BEWARE of their SALT CONTENT!!! I had one the other day and almost fainted when I saw how much salt is in them, even if they are baked without salt.
  • FitBeto
    Options
    Both, but BEWARE of their SALT CONTENT!!! I had one the other day and almost fainted when I saw how much salt is in them, even if they are baked without salt.

Does not compute
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

sweet potato is a healthier choice, but carbs and food are not evil. unless there is a medical condition. I have to be careful with my hypoglycemia and white starches.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

... What? 41mg of sodium is insane to you?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

No kidding, but doesn't the sheer amount of Vitamin Awesome offset a whole 41mg of sodium? I would think so.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Starch? Veggie? I don't care because they are DELICIOUS!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

No kidding, but doesn't the sheer amount of Vitamin Awesome offset a whole 41mg of sodium? I would think so.

Right? I would kind of marry a sweet potato.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Confused :huh:
    Where did you get your nutritional info from?
    Sweet Potatoes are very good for you. If I don't opt for brown rice I'll have one.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Heh. I eat them because they are ONLY 55mg Na/100g.
    It's all relative I guess...
  • bethkrusac
    bethkrusac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I wasn't sure which to consider it, but I absolutely LOVE them as well. The nutritious level of vitamins is an added bonus!
  • FitBeto
    Options

sweet potato is a healthier choice, but carbs and food are not evil. unless there is a medical condition. I have to be careful with my hypoglycemia and white starches.

Orange starch is good for you?
  • MariaAkeroyd
    MariaAkeroyd Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Starch? Veggie? I don't care because they are DELICIOUS!

DITTO!!!!
  • TimeForMe99
    Options

Perhaps you confused potassium with sodium. Sweets are a good source of potassium and other nutrients. I love them baked with a little butter and cummin.
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    I have read in Women's Health magazine they are one of the top 10 healthiest food. I was surprised by this, but if you read up on it does awesome health benefits! Forgive my poor memory....I need a help in that area....but I do eat one a week to get its benefit.
    Some carbs are good for you and this is one of those.
    As with any of this, you can always look into it on the web.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Orange starch is good for you?

carbs are good for most people. all people , I guess, in differening amounts. I don't get dizzy and headachey from them, like I do with white rice and white flour. I haven't tested white potatoes yet.

I guess the optimal term is "processed starches" seem to trigger headaches and dizziness... so white potatoes should be fine for me too.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Starch but don't avoid them!! They are amazing for you!!
  • phiddy23
    phiddy23 Posts: 103
    Options
    'carb' and 'vegetable' are not mutually exclusive. If something is a vegetable it doesn't automatically mean it has no carbs, potatoes are vegetables. Some vegetables are starchy, asking if it is a carb or a vegetable makes no sense.