"Big Boned" expectations

Options
I have now officially been told that I have a larger bone structure. What does this mean as far as my weight loss goals? I am content knowthing that I will not be a petite size 2, based on this news as well as the fact that I've been heavy for almost 20 years. With this being the case though, what can I really consider my size goal to be? I would love to be a size 7, but I'd be content at a 9, is this something that I can realistically shoot for?

Replies

• Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It should not make a difference at all to your capacity to lose weight and be very slim/toned or whatever you want to be. Everybody has different builds which we can't change as its in our genetics but your bones aren't "fat" are they? Just the layers on top of them (I'm not calling you fat by the way) I'm just trying to get my point across.

With regards to the size you should be, that depends on your height really. There are plenty of sites on the net that will tell you a normal range for your height, maybe start there and tweak it as you go.

Good luck!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Don't set a goal clothing size.

Lose weight at a reasonable pace, get some exercise, and stop losing weight when you like what you see in the mirror.

Bone size won't be relevant to that.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It means your body will be happier towards the top of normal for your height.

As for the clothing size, you ate just going to have to wait and see: there are many factors that affect that.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Lose weight at a reasonable pace, get some exercise, and stop losing weight when you like what you see in the mirror.

^This.

I'm a size 12. So what? I look awesome and I'll look even more awesome at my goal weight.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have a large bone structure as well - very broad shoulders and wide hips. I should be between a 6 and an 8 when I reach my goal weight. Probably a 6 on the bottom and an 8 on top. You will likely never be a 2 - you can only get so small with a large bone structure, but it's not a huge difference. I could probably get to a 4 if I really tried but don't think it would be sustainable for me.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I also have been told I am "big boned" at the doctor. It did not impede my ability to look darn good.

It did mean that I naturally am like 15-20 pounds heavier than someone who looks similar.

In college I was in great shape, and my older brother (we are the same height) definitely seemed more muscular and bigger than I was yet he topped out at 190 and I was 205. I also wore size 36 jeans while he would wear 32. Don't let it deter you.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It means your body will be happier towards the top of normal for your height.

As for the clothing size, you ate just going to have to wait and see: there are many factors that affect that.

This ^^^^

I have a large frame and I'm right at the top of the normal BMI range for my height at 22% body fat.

It doesn't actually matter what your clothes size is, because it's having a lower body fat percentage that makes you look good, not what actual size your clothes are.

The best thing to do is get your body fat percentage measured reliably, and use that to calculate your goal weight. Or simply have a goal body fat percentage.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said don't worry about a size. Get a weight you are happy and healthy with. The size wont matter.

Besides everyone is different.

For me to be a size 16, I have to be under 190 lbs.... but my Mom is the same size at 250 lbs. It's all about how you're built. Just go with it and accept your body. You'll figure it out.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It means that my advice for you is pretty much in line with what I would tell anyone else: the scale is a *kitten* liar, set your goals using a reasonable bodyfat percentage not the scale and not the irregular vanity sizes.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Expect to look like a Norse goddess and not a tiny pixie
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Expect to look like a Norse goddess and not a tiny pixie

I wanna look like a norse goddess.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Options
    I am also big boned and a large frame. mesomorph (atheletic body type) I am 5"4 inches tall and weigh 186 pounds. on top I wear a size large 12/14 on my bottom a size 16 in pants. I went on a website where it talks about your body type superskinnyme.com it has an ideal weight calculator that tells you your ideal weight goal for yourself in considering your body type.

for mine it said my ideal is between 134-151 pounds. I am shooting for the middle range about 145 pounds. hope this helps.
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Being a pear shape (I love my shape by the way :smile: ), I have big hips, thighs and bum. I know I will probably never wear a size 36 EU in jeans, but I hope to reach at least a 40 EU, because I think 38 EU might be pushing a bit too hard (I'm currently a 44 UE). And I am thrilled to be able to already start to fit into size M clothes AND look good in them. I don't want to be a size S, it just doesn't look appealing to me due to my body shape. You just have to face your weight loss goals with as much realism as possible and be happy with what you are able to accomplish.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how tall you are. I'm small framed, so I'm happier at the low end of my BMI range, but I'm tall with broad shoulders so I'll never wear a small top- maybe a medium depending on cut and brand.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    What did they do, take a full body x-ray and figure out you have thicker bones than someone else? Don't worry about it, you'll get into whatever size when you're ready for it!

And the goddess/pixie thing is right! Delicate little flower, or Amazonian princess?
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options

^This.

I'm a size 12. So what? I look awesome and I'll look even more awesome at my goal weight.

Great attitude. :smile:

I agree - clothing size shouldn't matter. Being healthy is the goal. Or at least that's my goal.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate that you're "big boned"? If you used the wrist measurement method it doesn't mean anything when you're 100lbs overweight. You will lose size on your wrist. In 82lbs I've gone from an 8" wrist to a 7.25" which moves me from "big boned" to "normal". In other words, don't sweat it until you're close to your goal weight/appearance. Use the mirror and/or body fat percentage anyway, body weight means little.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^This.

yes to the this and yes you do!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Who told you that you're big boned? Is that a scientific term?