Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weighing yourself, often.

So, I'm kind of addicted to the scale. I know I shouldn't be. I just find it kind of amusing to weigh myself several times during the day, just to see how eating, drinking, sweating, affect my weight. And I don't mean weight as in the regular sense just the "isn't that interesting, who knew drinking several cups of coffee would add 1.5 lbs." sense. I'm just doing it to amuse myself because, yeah, I'm easily amused.

But I'm wondering if anyone else does this particular thing...

Weigh yourself several times during the day and then log the lowest weight? I figure if it keeps my spirits up, and as long as it keeps going down even with all the fluctuations, what does it really hurt?

Weight before I worked out 173.5. Weight after workout, even with all the water I drank.... 173. Hecks Yeah!!! I'll take it.

Replies

• DeterminedAshley
    DeterminedAshley Posts: 297 Member
    Do whatever you have to do. :) Most people on here will tell you to throw the scale away, etc. But I weigh myself every morning to keep myself accountable. It starts my day out great knowing that even if it is .2 less, I still weigh less than I did yesterday. I wouldn't weigh myself numerous times a day, just because it would drive me crazy, but if it's working for you keep doing it!

Feel free to send me a request! :)
  • If it works for you, I don't see a problem with it.

Many people are unhealthily attached to the number on the scale - if I weigh every day, I get depressed if the number doesn't move. For some people, weighing is a great motivator and like you said, you find it amusing. I don't think that is unhealthy.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    I weigh myself multiple times a day. But don't record the lowest. Often I'll be the lowest in the middle of the day, and it does NOT seem to be a "real" weight. First thing in the morning is the most consistent of all my weigh-ins and I've learned this from weighing often. If I always logged my lowest weight of the day it would look like I was consistently gaining and losing 5 lbs all the time. I only "count" one weigh-in a week, same day, same time. Even then I often like to see that weight repeated before I actually count it.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    LOL. I have done that also. It's true. It's a great source of amusement. When the scale doesn't move much during the day I consider that an accomplishment. If I weigh before bed & then again in the morning I find that my weight has gone down about 5 lbs. (Happy dance)

I only use my Monday morning weight for logging. If it hasn't changed from the last Monday I don't log it.

It's great to know other people do the same thing. I don't feel like I'm crazy. Feel free to friend.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    The batteries in my scale have been dead for about a month. Just ordered new ones, so no, not a weighing in addict. Your weight fluctuates so much day to day (especially if you are female), that weighing once a day or even a few times a week doesn't really reflect a loss. I get on once a month and see what's going on. If I'm up a bit, I move more or eat less (or better). If I'm the same, I do a happy dance.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    I don't weigh through out the day because I think that would be just too depressing but I have been known to weigh 4-5 times in the morning. Before the shower, after the shower. After the morning tea has had a chance to filter through.. sometimes I even hop around a little to see if it moves. :bigsmile:
  • cluelessang
    cluelessang Posts: 36 Member
    Weighing myself few times a day drives me crazy. That number on the scale can totally make or break my mood. I tend to put the scale away and only weigh myself once every 2 weeks. Works better for me.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    I'll weigh myself multiple times a day and, like the OP, it's more of an amusement factor. I just like to see the fluctuations and how different things give me a different number on the scale (which, often, is not my actual "weight", due to food, water, heavier clothes, etc). And sometimes it's just because I had a nice little drop and like to see the new number. :wink:

I only log the first weigh in on Friday mornings though. I think that keeps my weigh in numbers steady, without the fluctuations I tend to have. And I don't think I'm "addicted" to weighing in. If I'm gone for a few days or the batteries are dead, I don't even think about it.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    I never weigh midday. I figure there's no point since the only changes I'll have in a few hours relates to the weight of the food and drink I take in and/or expel.

If I happen to weigh in mid-week, it does not get logged. Only Sunday weigh-ins count. If I've eaten salty foods Saturday night and weigh heavy on Sunday, I don't freak, but I might step on the scale a couple days later just to assure myself the problem really was water weight.

Mostly, though, I just weigh once a week, Sunday mornings. Wake, pee, brush teeth (eliminate those plaque pounds), weigh, log weight on MFP. Anything more would drive me batty!