Is there a point to lifting weights?

Options

Replies

• Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    So I get that it is great in general. But for someone losing weight with a calorie deficit, is there really any point? I am running, and doing other forms of cardio. I'm losing weight, I feel great.... what is the point of lifting? Would it make more since to wait until I am closer to my goal to begin lifting since you can't build muscle with a calorie deficit?

Edit to clarify: I understand the importance of maintaining muscle mass. I also do bodyweight exercises to maintain muscle but is there a point to "lifting" since I can't actually build muscle? It seems like it would be a waste of time. I'm not talking about "cross training" I consider that cardio. I mean heavy lifting.

Why CAN'T you build muscle??? I don't quite understand. And if you don't lift you will lose muscle mass and your body will not burn as many calories. Bone density is another reason to lift....I could go on but I am sure it is just a waste of time.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As a dude asthetically men look better with muscle tone (take it from a woman...skinny guys aren't so hot). Not to mention it is great for your health.

It is never too early to start weight training, even if it is only 2 days a week to start.

Trust me, I'm no where near skinny yet, so there is no danger of that. I plan on lifting eventually and I actually do bodyweight exercises to try and "maintain" what I have, but is there a point to actual lifting yet? Since you can't build muscle anyway with a calorie deficit?

1) Whether you can build muscle at a deficit is irrelevant as you'll see in a moment. It's context dependent but in your case you would probably build some for a short time. See here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

2) Think of it this way -- (lets assume two identical people to compare scenarios)

Person A does some push ups and some cardio and diets and loses 50lbs. 40 of it is fat and 10 is muscle.
    Person B does weight lifting and diets and loses 50 lbs. 50 of it is fat.

Person B has more muscle than person A when they are done dieting.

Obviously I'm making numbers up but I'm trying to show you why building muscle vs maintaining muscle is irrelevant. The point is that you end up with more muscle post-diet when you compare lifting vs not lifting.

This is why you should lift.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    As a dude asthetically men look better with muscle tone (take it from a woman...skinny guys aren't so hot). Not to mention it is great for your health.

It is never too early to start weight training, even if it is only 2 days a week to start.

Trust me, I'm no where near skinny yet, so there is no danger of that. I plan on lifting eventually and I actually do bodyweight exercises to try and "maintain" what I have, but is there a point to actual lifting yet? Since you can't build muscle anyway with a calorie deficit?

I think you're under the impression that some bodyweight exercises is enough to maintain the lean mass you have now. In reality, that is rarely the case.

If you aren't getting stronger, that means your body sees no need in repairing muscles beyond the strength they have. If there's no need in repairing them for greater stress, there isn't much need in keeping them either. If you are getting stronger, then pretty soon bodyweight will not be enough to really work those muscles. That will include strength and muscle loss as well.

I think you'd really enjoy the benefits of weight lifting. It's not just for muscle gain. Preventing more muscle loss, strength, definition, harder muscles, more flexibility and ability to perform normal everyday activities. The list goes on.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've found lifting supports the other activities I do. I'm not a runner, my joins can't take it. But I'm a bike rider. I've found I have more strength and endurance when riding my bike as a result of lifting. Your a runner, I bet lifting will make you a better runner.

Plus...you'll look better naked.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Depending of what intensity of bodyweight exercises you are doing (aiming for 3 x 5 to 8 reps to near failure) you never need to pick up weights at all. Progressive bodyweight exercises are plenty of resistance and up there with weight training if you approach it correctly.

Over a period of six months I have progressed from reguler push-ups being able to do no more than 3 sets of 2, stepped up to 3 sets of 10, then taking a closer hand position until I am now doing 3 sets of diamond push-ups - 3 sets of about 6 reps, so clearly I am gaining strength. I've also lost just under 14 lbs and according to body composition scales most of this is fat and I have held onto lean weight.

Have a look at You Are Your Own Gym on the internet and a manual called Convict Conditioning.

Also - have a look at this just for inspiration. This guy just practises Yoga and bodyweight exercising.
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/mgonzales01?fref=ts
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've found lifting supports the other activities I do. I'm not a runner, my joins can't take it. But I'm a bike rider. I've found I have more strength and endurance when riding my bike as a result of lifting. Your a runner, I bet lifting will make you a better runner.

Plus...you'll look better naked.

^ This. My knees feel much better since I started dead lifts and squats.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what most others are saying

PLUS

"Damn, I really hate feeling like a crazy strong bad *kitten*!!".....

....said no one, ever.

Now I'm off to the gym to crush some deadlifts and barbell squats. Best of luck!
  • beanerific518
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds (size 20 to a 12) with cardio and minimal bodyweight exercise. I then added heavy lifting with cardio and lost another 40 pounds (size 12 to a 6). My body looks tight and lean because of it. I certainly don't think it was a waste of time.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    So I get that it is great in general. But for someone losing weight with a calorie deficit, is there really any point? I am running, and doing other forms of cardio. I'm losing weight, I feel great.... what is the point of lifting? Would it make more since to wait until I am closer to my goal to begin lifting since you can't build muscle with a calorie deficit?

Edit to clarify: I understand the importance of maintaining muscle mass. I also do bodyweight exercises to maintain muscle but is there a point to "lifting" since I can't actually build muscle? It seems like it would be a waste of time. I'm not talking about "cross training" I consider that cardio. I mean heavy lifting.

Honestly too lazy to read through any of the responses, so this has already probably been said. On a calorie deficit you want to lift for a couple of reasons. 1-To maintain the muscle you have. 2-To burn calories. Sure you won't burn as many calories as cardio, but you will continue to burn calories AFTER you lift. Once you quit your cardio workout, you're done burning calories until the next cardioi workout.

Also lifting-

-Strengthens muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
    -Increases bone density
    -Increases metobolic rate.

It make no logical sense to quit doing something that has so many benefits. IMO you should quit 1/2 the cardio you're doing and replace it with lifting. You'd be better off for it.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options

.?? I have been running a calorie deficit for 8 weeks, involving dieting, cardio and weights. I have lost 14lb and my body fat % is down 8% so I must be getting some muscle. My middle is firmer and legs slimmer

Well 90% of the people on this site and other researchers say you can't build muscle while at a calorie deficit. Some disagree, I''m not sure. That's really the point of the question because if they believe you can't build muscle, then why try to lift if you can't while at a deficit. You can get stronger without building muscle, I get that, but I don't really care about getting stronger. I do eventually want to get toned, and I'll always do cardio.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Muscle is wasted as a resource for the body if it is not being used. It consumes calories. The body thinks in a survival sense. When dieting it gets rid of the reserves that will stop keep it alive, those that use precious energy - it doesn't know about the supermarkets, it simply wants to survive when food is scarce.

The body will catabolize the muscle so you can exist on less energy. Which is good.

But then! It means you have to eat less for you to avoid any weight gain. As soon as you stop dieting, you will also find your basic metabolic rate will be lower as you have less lean mass consuming calories and so you will find you will put on weight much easier than before - again the body wants to have good levels of body fat, it wants to survive.

Lifting tells the body muscle is required. It burns more energy existing meaning you get to eat more. You also utilize energy lifting, again allowing you to eat more. Finally when you hit your goal, you can eat more without fat gain as your basic metabolic rate, whilst lower than originally, will be higher than with less lean body mass.

I hope this makes sense to you?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You can increase strength without increasing mass. You can also do that bodyweight exercises. Naturally, free weights are going to provide some moves and more resistance (weight) for some moves that can't be done with bodyweight alone. It really just comes down to your goals.

But , if you plan to start lifting at some point, is there any reason to wait?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

.?? I have been running a calorie deficit for 8 weeks, involving dieting, cardio and weights. I have lost 14lb and my body fat % is down 8% so I must be getting some muscle. My middle is firmer and legs slimmer

Well 90% of the people on this site and other researchers say you can't build muscle while at a calorie deficit. Some disagree, I''m not sure. That's really the point of the question because if they believe you can't build muscle, then why try to lift if you can't while at a deficit. You can get stronger without building muscle, I get that, but I don't really care about getting stronger. I do eventually want to get toned, and I'll always do cardio.

You can't add muscle whilst in a deficit - what are you building it with? You may be holding water (repairing muscle) and greater amounts of glycogen in the muscle to give the appearance of more bulk, but actual muscular gains? Not much if anything at all (eg a pound or two at best).

You can carb cycle and lose fat and gain muscle but thats varying days of high/med/low carbs so your body is burning fat on some days and making muscle on others but not at the same time.
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Maybe if you want to be stronger when you hit your goal weight. I read this today and it made sense! Hope it helps.
    http://stronglifts.com/cardio-fat-loss-hiit-vs-long-duratio-cardio/
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    Yes
  • micabrito2012
    Options
    And here lies the problem: the only way you can gain muscle WHILE losing fat is if you lift weights on a caloric deficit. But that's not an optimal for muscle gains because lack of food harms your muscle recovery.

Strong lifts
  • micabrito2012
    Options
    And here lies the problem: the only way you can gain muscle WHILE losing fat is if you lift weights on a caloric deficit. But that's not an optimal for muscle gains because lack of food harms your muscle recovery.

Strong lifts

http://stronglifts.com/4-ways-gain-muscle-while-losing-fat/
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Terrible terrible terrible terrible advice. Lost my weight, did lots of cardo, still flabby with all muscle mass gone...Then I gained weight and started lifting to get some muscle mass back. Weights have made things noticeably firmer. Even though I'm heavier. I've even gotten comments from classmates about it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    when you reach your goal weight and look in the mirror without a shirt on, you're probably going to wish you had started strength training a year ago.

i know i did.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Depending of what intensity of bodyweight exercises you are doing (aiming for 3 x 5 to 8 reps to near failure) you never need to pick up weights at all. Progressive bodyweight exercises are plenty of resistance and up there with weight training if you approach it correctly.

Over a period of six months I have progressed from reguler push-ups being able to do no more than 3 sets of 2, stepped up to 3 sets of 10, then taking a closer hand position until I am now doing 3 sets of diamond push-ups - 3 sets of about 6 reps, so clearly I am gaining strength. I've also lost just under 14 lbs and according to body composition scales most of this is fat and I have held onto lean weight.

Have a look at You Are Your Own Gym on the internet and a manual called Convict Conditioning.

Also - have a look at this just for inspiration. This guy just practises Yoga and bodyweight exercising.
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/mgonzales01?fref=ts

Thanks! I saw a similar video and that is what made me want to do bodyweight exercising. I think it will give me what I need.