Research that contradicts IIFYM

Options
13»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    IIFYM as it is discussed here is specific to weight loss.

By 'here' you mean MFP? It also applies to weight gain and maintenance.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    You know, I used to like the idea of 'eating clean' until I discovered, as ever, on the internet some f*cktards have got hold of the concept and overthought it to the nth degree.

Try and eat a healthy, balanced diet, that fist into your macros for general good health and weight loss. That is all. Its not hard.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    seems like as good a place as any to re-post this...

the_science_news_cycle.gif

QFT

Used to field reserach science. and write papers to be published in scientific journals.

this is SO TRUE.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I find that fried or "unhealthy" food doesn't usually fit my macros. Like, occasionally I'll have a burger or go out for fast food, but quite often it is at the expense of my macros, or if it is not, it's because I didn't eat very much the rest of the day. So if I stick to IIFYM, I don't usually have room for the stuff they say is harmful in large quantities.

That's the beauty of IIFYM.... it has moderation built into it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Going back to your OP Oishii, to me, if I find something that I believe to be bad for me, in the context of my overall diet, I would consider eliminating or restricting that thing. It does not change the basic tenets of IIFYM, as far as I am concerned. I restrict a whole food group by being a vegetarian, and still apply IIFYM, just like someone who is allergic to peanuts or allergic to shellfish would need to eliminate those from their diet. I really see no difference.

Edited for typo.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I think around here that IIFYM solely refers to weight loss, not to other consequences of poor nutrition. Most of us are aware of that (aren't we?).

I think you would be mistaken.

There are a great many people who follow IIFYM and who are concerned about their health and fitness performance. We're not stuffing our faces with Twinkies and KFC all day, every day.

You would benefit from reading these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Going back to your OP Oishii, to me, if I find something that I believe to be bad for me, in the context of my overall diet, I would consider eliminating or restricting that thing. It does not change the basic tenets of IIFYM, as far as I am concerned. I restrict a whole food group by being a vegetarian, and still apply IIFYM, just like someone who is allergic to peanuts or allergic to shellfish would need to eliminate those from their diet. I really see no difference.

Edited for typo.

Of course you would, but you are clearly sane.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

True, I was being too closed in my definition. I meant it specifically applies to *weight.*

Not to prevention of disease, etc.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i'm just going to say here that I think i was unneccessarily snooty in my first comment in this thread.

Sorry, OP.

I just think that there's some folks on here (not ALL) who are pro-clean eating who get my panties in a bunch. I reacted to you as if you were them, and you are not. In fact you are my friend and wasn't I just saying I am super loyaL??

I would like to think i look this cute with my foot in my mouth:

Foot-In-Mouth-Is-A-Good-Sign.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

True, I was being too closed in my definition. I meant it specifically applies to *weight.*

Not to prevention of disease, etc.

Got it!

I suppose it goes back to your interpretation and application of it. To me, one of the best methods of disease control is to eat a balanced diet that includes a good amount of nutrient dense foods from a variety of sources. I don't see IIFYM necessarily contradicting this, depending again on your interpretation of it.

Regarding specific risks - I addressed that type if thing, at least the way I see it, in my prior post.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'll put my cards on the table: I would much rather work towards IIFYM than clean eating. So far I've only worked to If It Fits My Calories, but IIFYM seems the best, mentally healthy option to me.

However, some research seems to directly oppose IIFYM, including the research below linking fried food once a week to an increased risk of prostate cancer, compared to once a month.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/news/fried-foods-linked-to-prostate-cancer-id801543313-t116.html

For those of you who support IIFYM, how do you process new information like this? Dismiss it, try to incorporate it into IIFYM or something else?

The same way that any other information is processed. Duh!

3s203u.jpg