Does this seemright to you

Options
burned 1707 calories doing 300 minutes of "Fishing from river bank, standing"

That doesn't seem right.... I am working a "test position" at work today. I've only done it once.. Fitting room greeter.. I'm working 8hours, and I'm guesstimating,(based on the other time, and what the girls have told me) I'll be standing in one spot for about 5hours (yeah it's a "great" job lol) but that's alot of calories.. even at 215 lbs... IDK. I'm usually moving at work, my body isn't used to standing still, that's why I decided to count it..

Replies

• StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    That sounds a lot to me!! But if it is right I may take up fishing!! :laugh:

I just went to the database and tried it out for me and it came up 1551 ... I didn't know you could burn so much standing fishing lol
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    LMAO right.. I mean I know it's 5 hours, but still that's alot for just standing in one place..hmmm I think I'm going to change it to2 1/2 hours.. so I'm not counting it all if it's wrong.. and there is no way I can eat that many calories..and I'm sick oh no.. lol
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Wow, see...it's crazy.. it might be right, I'm going to see if I can find another source..

I just went to the database and tried it out for me and it came up 1551 ... I didn't know you could burn so much standing fishing lol
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    There is no way that is right and it could make you really sabotage yourself. Fishing doesn't get your heart rate up for several hours. I wouldn't list it at all if it were me.

Just my 2 cents!

254666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    live strong dot com says this about my weight

Standing - light work
    This activity burns approximately
    224 calories per hour.

So yeah thats about right...hmmm interesting
  • Dunrick
    Dunrick Posts: 23
    Options
    Try this calculator it is more accurate to the activity.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Usually, a person burns around 130-150 calories an hour when inactive, so sitting on the couch or standing in one spot. I have a feeling that whatever calculation was used for this in the database is off. To figure out your BMR (Basal metabolic rate, or the number of calories your body needs to function at the most basic level): women = 655 + (4.35 X weight in pounds) + (4.7 X height in inches) - (4.7 X age in years). Now, standing requires a little more effort than sitting on the couch, but it isn't going to increase a whole lot. You can also google "calculating BMR" and find a site that you just plug in the numbers and it does the math for you.
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    But then there's this.. which is more likely... since I won't be talking, I'llbe standing still.. I'll talktocustomers when they come in, take their clothes, folding clothes, hanging them on the hangers but that's it.. so maybe this is a little closer.. yeah I think so

Standing - quietly (e.g., standing in church)
    This activity burns approximately
    117 calories per hour.
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Okay this is what I got

You have a BMR of 1815.85

Thanks for the replies.. it seemed off to me too
    Usually, a person burns around 130-150 calories an hour when inactive, so sitting on the couch or standing in one spot. I have a feeling that whatever calculation was used for this in the database is off. To figure out your BMR (Basal metabolic rate, or the number of calories your body needs to function at the most basic level): women = 655 + (4.35 X weight in pounds) + (4.7 X height in inches) - (4.7 X age in years). Now, standing requires a little more effort than sitting on the couch, but it isn't going to increase a whole lot. You can also google "calculating BMR" and find a site that you just plug in the numbers and it does the math for you.
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Health status says this..

Calories Burned Estimation:

Results:

Activity Calories burned
    Standing 580

I don't know.. what I do know is that I have to get ready to go stand in one spot.. grrz ( FMJ) ... At least Ilearned a new ab exersice, I can do while just standing there and with my work shirt on (which is now HUGE) no one can tell I'm even doing it.. lol.
  • JBRENTLINGER
    Options
    I imagine fly fishing is where you would burn a lot more calories, with the almost constant range of motion and 'flicking' motion. I love to fish so maybe I need to fish more.... Nice!
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    Just my opinion but I would not even count the work calories (standing) because that is calculated in your daily calories burned or normal activity. Yes I would count fishing if there is activity.
  • denriop
    denriop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    At your weight (no offense here), I think that your body is burning a little bit more calories standing up than someone with healthy weight. But even that, I would not count more than 70-80 calories per hour standing up. But a lot more if you stay on one foot when nobody is watching ... :-)
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Just my opinion but I would not even count the work calories (standing) because that is calculated in your daily calories burned or normal activity. Yes I would count fishing if there is activity.

I agree with this. If you are calculating this as your "exercise" then you aren't going to see many changes.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

I agree with this. If you are calculating this as your "exercise" then you aren't going to see many changes.

I also agree. For me, I usually never count anything unless it is an intended workout, or my heart rate gets up for a while... just something to consider! :smile:
  • healthbug
    healthbug Posts: 21
    Options
    Agreed that standing still fishing doesn't burn that many calories... perhaps they're referring to fishing in the surf or offshore fishing on a boat- something where there's constant motion as well as reeling and pulling and serious fighting with the fish. I'm interested to know if there is fishing that burns that many calories!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count the fishing, and MFP already accounts for your time at work according to how you filled out your settings when you started. If they're changing (from sedentary to lightly active, etc) make sure you edit that. So standing at work doesn't count, either.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it at all... it's not really "activity" per se. The only things that I count as exercise are truly intentional workouts or when I'm doing something that is out of the ordinary for my life... Spring Cleaning (where I'm scrubbing walls, moving furniture, moving bins of stored clothes, etc.), Mowing the Lawn, Shoveling the Driveway, etc.... sadly, I don't even count gardening in my exercise because although it makes me really sore - it's not burning that many calories!
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't always trust what My Fitness Pal says for exercise -- I like to double-check with this site.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm

:flowerforyou:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    just my 2 cents: i dont think you should list calories burned for just standing around. i dont know anyone else on the site that does. we all stand around during the day too...