Don't Shoot! (TDEE question)

Options
I know this topic is posted about daily but I still need a little clarification.

After reading all the info I have about TDEE, BMR, metabolism, macros, etc…

I’ve reset my calorie intake to 20% of my TDEE (figure w/my exercise) 1640

So, since that number takes my activity level into account – I do not need to worry about eating back my calories – is that correct?

Since changing that number I’m hardly ever at the 1640 I’m falling short about 400 to 700 calories a day.
Should I strive to meet that number?

I understand the idea behind this – that’s why I changed my numbers – but I think I’ve read so much that I’ve confused myself.

Should I change my settings to reflect something other than the 20% of my TDEE?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yes - don't eat exercise if you've figured it in the TDEE. You should strive to be as close possible to the 1640.

So you're TDEE was 2050 with exercise figured in? That seems sort of low to me. How much exercise did you average in?
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes - don't eat exercise if you've figured it in the TDEE. You should strive to be as close possible to the 1640.

So you're TDEE was 2050 with exercise figured in? That seems sort of low to me. How much exercise did you average in?

My TDEE is 2055 ( I figured working out 1 to 3 hours a week)

20% 1644

My BMR 1495
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If you are doing TDEE-20% then you would not eat back your exercise calories UNLESS your NET drops below your BMR then eat enough back to get above your BMR.
  • tisha_rae
    Options
    Thanks

would I be better off setting my goal to my BMR and eating back calories?
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you are doing TDEE-20% then you would not eat back your exercise calories UNLESS your NET drops below your BMR then eat enough back to get above your BMR.

Maybe the wrong thing to do but my understanding was that even on exercise days, if you do net below your BMR then it shouldnt matter as the consistency across the other days will counteract that. If its not balancing, then you have under-estimated your activity level and this should be reassessed.
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks

would I be better off setting my goal to my BMR and eating back calories?

Yes this would work too providing you have an accurate way of counting your calories burned.
  • tisha_rae
    Options

Maybe the wrong thing to do but my understanding was that even on exercise days, if you do net below your BMR then it shouldnt matter as the consistency across the other days will counteract that. If its not balancing, then you have under-estimated your activity level and this should be reassessed.

Thanks for your help!!!!
    I just checked and I consistently net under my BMR - - -7 out of 9 days.

So I'm assuming that I am more active than I think I am.