allergies and local honey

Options
Ok so I'm not sure if I posted this in the right area but anyway, I get rreally bad allergies this time of the year so my mom told me that she heard it helps build up your immunity to allergens to have 2 tsp of local honey a day. So I bought some local honey at the farmers market and Ive been having a tsp with breakfast and one with my evening snack. Has anybody else ever heard of this or tried it? If you have, do you know if it is better to just eat the honey straight off the spoon or can I mix it in with some tea?

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm sure its just to get pollen in your system. As gross as that sounds. It could help your body not react to it so badly. Not a bad idea. Let us know how it works!!
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yep, my father-in-law, who is a bee keeper, swears by this. I've also read this in a variety of alternative health venues.
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    I've heard this several times. I don't believe it matters how you consume the honey... just that you consume it. So putting it in tea should be fine. :o)
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've heard this from quite a few different places, and my mother used to eat it. I always figured it can't hurt, and if it helps a little, then it's worth it!

Let us know how it works for you!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i have been using local honey for the last month and feel 90% better. only have a little stuffiness and a few sneezes. i am a true beliver now. and i love honey so its perfect. i have a tsp in my morning smoothie and 2 tsp in my tea at night. i would suggest this to anyone. and it saves a lot of money and you dont get the fuzzie feeling that allergy meds give you
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It makes sense that it would work, it's essentially the same way an allergy shot works. Plus, it's yummy and healthy and really good environmentally!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    When you get the honey from the locals try to get "raw" honey. Sometimes even the local beekeepers heat the honey.

D
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Some random guy at the UPS Store told me this a year or two ago. Let me know if it works or not, I've been interested ever since.
  • Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    yea I have pure natural raw wildflower honey. I've only been doing it for a few days so I think it will be a little while till I see a difference. I'm also still taking benadryl at night because without it I'd be scratching my eyes out, there still bad even when I take it but it's slightly better. anyway hopefully this works and I can eventually stop taking benadryll
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I just wanted to keep this is my topics! I would love to know how it works. My allegies are driving me crazy!
  • Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    so I have been using the honey for about 2 weeks now, and I have to say I see a huge difference! My eyes are still a little itchy and I sneeze every once in a while, but nothing like I wasw before. My sis tried it too and she said she felt like it made her sneeze more, but I heard that could happen and it might get worse before it gets better. I didn't notice if it made me worse bc I was already sneezing so much before (seriously I would sneeze like 15 times in a row). In conclusion, I say if you have extremely bad allergies like me, then it's def worth a try.
  • barbara6
    barbara6 Posts: 14
    Options
    My dh has bad allergies and also arthritis. He has a concoction that he mixes up for both problems. Someone gave him the recipe.
    1 quart apple juice
    1 quart grape (grape colored) juice
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup raw honey
    Mix and refrigerate. Drink 2 ounces every day.
    He swears its helped both his problems. If I don't mix him some up for a few days he complains.