Poll: Rice cakes = junk food?

Options
walnut
walnut Posts: 216 Member
Do you consider rice cakes junk food?

It's not like they're bad for you, but it's not like they've got a ton of nutrition, either... I'm on the fence.
(In particular, I'm thinking of the Quaker White Cheddar variety - it's in the database, if you need nutrition info.)

Replies

• walnut
    Options
    Do you consider rice cakes junk food?

It's not like they're bad for you, but it's not like they've got a ton of nutrition, either... I'm on the fence.
    (In particular, I'm thinking of the Quaker White Cheddar variety - it's in the database, if you need nutrition info.)
  • its time for change
    Options
    I like to think of them as "snack" food. If you want to make them healthier, you can add a little peanut butter and some sliced apple and call it breakfast. =-) My kids also love them. They make them so darn good nowadays!!
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    I haven't had one of those in a long time
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I snack on a caramel corn rice cake when I want something sweet. Which I believe is much better for me than grabbing a couple of cookies. I don't eat but one or two a day so I feel no harm is done and my sweet tooth is satisfied. I have had the white cheddar before and then it seems like it takes the place of pop corn for me. But other then that I don't think they are packed with nutrition. Mostly satisfaction.
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't call rice cakes junk food at all. ok so they might not be packed with useful nutrients but they are low in fat and calories and make a great snack (sweet or savoury). For me junk food is classified as something that is high in calories and fat and/or sugar (and usually has little nutritional value). So although rice cakes have little nutritional value, they certianly aren't high in fats, sugars or calories so for me not junk food. Hope this helps!
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I like to think of it as "healthy" junk food. Still not the best choice since there isn't much nutritional gain, but a much better choice than grabbing a bag of chips if I just want to munch.
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    They're better junk food. Same old empty calories, just that there's less of them than in a pastry. There's also less crunch :grumble:
  • walnut
    Options
    I use them in place of chips, but I wind up eating 3 or 4 sometimes in a sitting... not sure how guilty to feel! I guess the general consensus is probably less guilty than if they were chips or a pastry!
  • jason7
    jason7 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have devised so many rice cake options. I love them even more than potato chips. I used to have a potato chip problem, but not anymore. My new receipes are:

Non-salted rice cakes and melted swiss cheese:
    You need to get Lacey low sodium cheese. It's got like 15 to 25 mg of sodium per slice (very low). I have them slice it so thin you can see through it. Put some on the rice cakes and put them in the microwave for a few seconds. They come our crispy and cheesy. Just don't over cook them, because the rice cakes burn real fast.

Tuna fish/cheese/mago salsa/rice cake:
    This one rocks. Microwave the cheese, tuna and rice cake for a few seconds. Then put a little refrigerated mango salsa on the top. MMMM......This is really good.

Rice Cakes and horshradish:
    Yeah, I like it hot. Put a little horshradish sauce on a rice cake. Good stuff.
  • walnut
    Options
    I have devised so many rice cake options. I love them even more than potato chips. I used to have a potato chip problem, but not anymore. My new receipes are:

Non-salted rice cakes and melted swiss cheese:
    You need to get Lacey low sodium cheese. It's got like 15 to 25 mg of sodium per slice (very low). I have them slice it so thin you can see through it. Put some on the rice cakes and put them in the microwave for a few seconds. They come our crispy and cheesy. Just don't over cook them, because the rice cakes burn real fast.

Tuna fish/cheese/mago salsa/rice cake:
    This one rocks. Microwave the cheese, tuna and rice cake for a few seconds. Then put a little refrigerated mango salsa on the top. MMMM......This is really good.

Rice Cakes and horshradish:
    Yeah, I like it hot. Put a little horshradish sauce on a rice cake. Good stuff.

Yum, awesome recipes!! Maybe if I try adding some of that stuff I can reduce my rice cake intake! :happy:
  • curvylady
    curvylady Posts: 135
    Options
    I love Sun Rice Tomato Salsa Corn Cakes (in Australia). I use 3 of them at lunch topped with low fat flavored tuna, salmon mixed with tzatziki, or low fat double smoked ham and sliced tomato. They make a great snack too on their own as the tomato salsa flavor is delicious. I have added them into the Food List if you want to see their totals.