Tummy fat!! So irritating!

Options
I have made pretty good progress so far. I have lost inches, I have dropped a pant size. I just have one problem area. My stomach. No matter what I do, no matter how many ab exercises I do, nothing changes! In fact, it has actually gotten slightly bigger! It's so frustrating and makes me just want to give up!

So my question is, what can I do to flatten and tone my stomach area? What's worked for you?

Replies

• cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There is really no way to spot reduce fat, you just have to continue eating at a deficit and exercising to reduce your overall body fat %. Some people say "abs are made in the kitchen" meaning the best way to a flat tummy is thru clean/ extra healthy eating. That's about all I know tho, hopefully somebody with more knowledge can help you! Good luck :smile:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Sadly you can not spot reduce, if you could I would be right there with you working on my tummy, probably along with lots of other people.

All you can do is keep on doing what you are doing adding in some toning and exercising...those abs are just hiding :wink:
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I really like Jillian Michaels 6-pack Abs workout.
    It's on YouTube.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    There is really no way to spot reduce fat, you just have to continue eating at a deficit and exercising to reduce your overall body fat %. Some people say "abs are made in the kitchen" meaning the best way to a flat tummy is thru clean/ extra healthy eating. That's about all I know tho, hopefully somebody with more knowledge can help you! Good luck :smile:

100% this! I always tell myself "abs are made in the kitchen" whenever I want to splurge and it helps me decide if I REALLY need to splurge or not. You have already made fantastic progress, so just keep going! As your body fat % reduces, your tummy will flatten out, promise!
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    There's an area right around/below my belly button that basically never loses its insulation, even at my skinniest. So it may be the way you're made :(

However, eating well will shrink your belly into basically nothing, but you'll need to weight enjoying life against worrying about some tummy fat (I'm assuming you're only talking about a little bit here, right?)
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    You just have to keep working at it, as frustrating as it can get. I know that even once I get to my goal BF% I'll have belly fat, but that's when I'm going to start more strength training with weights (rather than body weight) so I can start actively building stomach muscles which will help eliminate tummy fat. You just need patience and dedication! The flat tummy will come :)
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The stomach is the hardest (thighs too) and the last place a woman will carry her fat. Don't stress, it'll happen! It's all due diligence, I promise......mine is finally starting to move and I'm a Mom of 2.
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh and to all the previous quotes about exercise for abs, yes it's about 10% of it. Diet diet diet, eat well and it will minimize!
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It's true. Your can't spot reduce, and I've heard that the tummy in women is the last to go, especially if you have had kids. I had 2 kids, which gave me that mom pooch. I have lost 40 lbs since and gone down to a size 5, and have no other problem areas, except that. Some of it's just loose skin, but there is definitely some fat there. It's frustrating. Sorry girl., wish I had some advise. There are foods out there that supposedly help, healthy fats like nuts and avocados.
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I see others eating clean and seeing their stomachs look smaller after just a week. I just don't have it in me to eat 80-100 percent clean right now... I'm bloated majority of the time! :( BUT the thing that has helped with losing inches has been incorporating more strength training, lower, upper, and whole body, because like others said you can't spot reduce. I'm sure my results would be way better if I just ate cleaner!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    Walking. diet probably needs to be looked at. if it's really fat, cut out the processed foods and eat whole foods like fruits and veggies, chicken and fish. if its bloat, drink more water and cut back on salt. if you build muscle in your abs, it will make the fat bulge so you gotta do both diet and exercise together.

you may not be able to spot reduce, but you can target areas.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Gotta lose fat, period. Diet is a big part of that. Lifting heavy helps, too.
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my *kitten*. I've lost 3 inches from my waist and 2 from each thigh but *kitten* has not shrunk a single mm. I think at some point you have to accept the way you are built and strive to be the best you rather than look at other people's body shapes.
  • CoachAnnaG
    Options
    Don't settle ladies. You can change your body. If your working out but it's not "working" anymore. The problem is you have hit a plateau. High Intensity Interval training should help pass that plateau. You will drop inches from everywhere. I weighed 161lbs Jan 1st, my waist was 48" now I weigh 46lb and my waist is 32 inches :) Your body can change, trust me.
  • CoachAnnaG
    Options
    @Brianna - Don't give up. You hit a plateau but you can get past it with the right exercise. Also eating right does help, eat salads and sandwiches but don't deny yourself the foods you love (eat those in small portions). If your doing the same ab exercises over and over again then that is what you need to change. I can explain more if you like.