What diets have you been on & how many times?

Options
I have just rejoined SW for the 4th and FINAL time. I have been a serial dieter for the past 30 years.
These are the diets I have done that I can remember over the years:

Calorie counting loads of times - remember when all the magazines printed 1000cal per day diets?
Slimming World 4 times
Weight Watches 3 times
Cambridge Diet 2 times
Herbal Life once
Dukan Diet 3 times
Atkins 3 times
Idiot Proof diet twice
Slender 2 times
BHF crash diet 2 times,
Marine Commando 3 times
Diet pills 2 times - both the fibre expanding in your stomach and the speed up yr metabolism variety.
Hypnotism 4 times,
Acupuncture once.
IF twice
Fasting 4 times (daftest I did was 14 days on nothing but grapefruit juice)
Master Cleanse once.
South Beach once.
Rosemary Connelly - once only lasted less than a week - life is too short to follow this diet in my view.

All this did for me was make me fat. I would lose some weight but then put it back on some times more speedily than others and usually finding at least 4lbs more from somewhere on top. I was actually slim, until I took it into my head that I was fat and started serial dieting.

With the help of MFP & Friends and lifestyle change, I don't want to LOSE the weight, but to GET RID of it forever.

What did diets ever do for you?

Replies

• stellafgus
    stellafgus Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Weight Watches 3 times
    Slim Fast 2 times
    TOPS 1 time

Weight Watchers is what seems to work for me up until now the new 360 program isn't working for me plus on a medicine that causes weight gain so battling against that
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Weight Watches 3 times
    Slim Fast 2 times
    TOPS 1 time

Weight Watchers is what seems to work for me up until now the new 360 program isn't working for me plus on a medicine that causes weight gain so battling against that
    i

I have lots of sympathy with you. Stick to the 'version that works for you. Good luck and don't give up.
  • JustineRoth
    Options
    You should try Dynamite 180, it's homeopathic but it's very very strict on what you can eat. I know a few people that have had major success! :) But diets don't usually work because if you are ON a diet you can be OFF a diet. It's all a matter of perspective. I have made a choice to go organic and it's helped along with the gym to lose over 50 lbs. I would say just be more aware of what you put into your body and the portions.... I hope this helps!
  • hinatakatana
    Options
    Slimming world - 3 times
    weight watchers - once
    Calorie Counting - once
    hospital dietian - 2 times (She had no soul!)

Im with Slimming world now - 1 year later Ive lost 7and a half stone. Thier "extra easy" diet is fab, Its so easy to stick to.
    Red and Green days almost killed me off I just couldnt do it.
    A great consultant helps too :)
  • Breizier
    Options
    You should try Dynamite 180, it's homeopathic but it's very very strict on what you can eat. I know a few people that have had major success! :) But diets don't usually work because if you are ON a diet you can be OFF a diet. It's all a matter of perspective. I have made a choice to go organic and it's helped along with the gym to lose over 50 lbs. I would say just be more aware of what you put into your body and the portions.... I hope this helps!
    [/quote

What is Dynamite 180?
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This is my first (and last!) weight loss journey. I started on Weight Watchers Points Plus in July 2011 and it worked well for me as it's how I lost half of my weight. I switched to MFP in Feb 2012 just because it was free and I find it easier to track calories than it was to keep track of WW points. I've also kept up a steady routine of exercise.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a hell of a list, I've only ever tried weight watchers and each time I've tried it I've lost weight but also a lot of money (never again) the last time I tried it I realised it was writing down what I ate that actually worked and nothing else for me which made me think about what and how much I was eating which is why I love mfp, and the fact that I've clocked up over 270 days now has made logging what I eat a habbit which I won't be breaking, this is a way of life for me now and I love my new life ????
  • legalgurl101
    legalgurl101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers 1 time...phetermine pills 3 times....hcg 2 times....slim fast 2 times....bottom line still fat and working on it :yawn:
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    slimfast - 3x

special k - 1x and was STARVING! ... it lasted a day

now - my own diet and it's working! ;)
  • Breizier
    Options
    Slimming world - 3 times
    weight watchers - once
    Calorie Counting - once

Im with Slimming world now - 1 year later Ive lost 7and a half stone. Thier "extra easy" diet is fab, Its so easy to stick to.

That's amazing. It's proof of the proverbial pudding. I have about 6st to lose. I think the hardest part is the fact that it will take quite a while to lose. Makes it seem even more of an uphill journey. I know didn't put it all on over night so why i expect it to go over night is silly.

Its especially good to hear it took you a year and on SW.

My hero. Thanks
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Nutrisystem once...and the mostly just lots of books and magazines that promise miracles but are too complicated or otherwise difficult to follow. Plus crazy diets I made up myself when I was in my teens and early 20's, like the one I called the "P" diet - all I ate for weeks on end was popcorn, pickles and popsicles and not much of 'em. I have to admit I was skinny then. lol
  • Breizier
    Options
    Contracts. That's brilliant. You have ffound a sustainable way of mmanaging your weight. I hope to get to that point in my life.
  • Breizier
    Options
    Wow that's a hell of a list, I've only ever tried weight watchers and each time I've tried it I've lost weight but also a lot of money (never again) the last time I tried it I realised it was writing down what I ate that actually worked and nothing else for me which made me think about what and how much I was eating which is why I love mfp, and the fact that I've clocked up over 270 days now has made logging what I eat a habbit which I won't be breaking, this is a way of life for me now and I love my new life ????

Well done. Push comes to shove, i just like to eat. I short circuit the thinking part.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've been on a diet from the second I hit puberty...

Edit: Typo
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow.... so many diets so little space...
    HCG (Drops) Worked well the first time
    Realacore Not so well
    Lipizor Not so well
    Atkins Not so well
    Starvation Not so well
    Weight watche rs Not so well

And many others which didn't work so well...
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie diet when I was 15-16 lost a ton of weight down to 101 pounds... got scared, stopped dieting.

Now 10 years later... just watching my intake comparison to energy output going kinda by guidelines I've seen on these boards. When I had 40+ to lose I went for 750 cal daily deficit.
    20-40 500 cal daily deficit
    now <15 left to go 250 deficit... it seems sooo slow now lol. With a 250 cal deficit I will reach my goal in 30 WEEKS....
  • hinatakatana
    Options
    Slimming world - 3 times
    weight watchers - once
    Calorie Counting - once

That's amazing. It's proof of the proverbial pudding. I have about 6st to lose. I think the hardest part is the fact that it will take quite a while to lose. Makes it seem even more of an uphill journey. I know didn't put it all on over night so why i expect it to go over night is silly.

Its especially good to hear it took you a year and on SW.

My hero. Thanks

I can promise you that you can do it.
    I stand by it that slimming world is one of the best diets out there for people that have a lot of weight to lose
    I still have a little over a stone left and i will be done.
    Feel free to add me and we can support each other.

You can do it :)
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options

Well done. Push comes to shove, i just like to eat. I short circuit the thinking part.
    Lol you and me both, I struggle to eat under 2000 cals a day I think exercise is the key here though
  • babsbod
    Options
    Atkins/weight watchers/south beach/protein shakes/weight watchers/south beach
    Weight watchers 360 and HUNDREDS of dollars.
  • Breizier
    Options
    I feel like I've been on a diet from the second I hit puberty...

Edit: Typo

Boy do I get you!