Polar FT4 HRM?

Hey everyone. I'm an 18 year old female and a few weeks ago I started eating healthier and exercising more. I want to get into running, so I'm doing some light jogging just to start out. I recently purchased the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor and whenever my heart rate gets below 130 or above 170, it beeps a lot. When I jog, even when I'm going slow, my heart rate gets to about 195 and by that time the HRM is beeping like crazy. I don't know how to keep my heart rate between 130 and 170 without stopping to walk every 10 seconds to lower it...

I googled it and a lot of people said a heart rate over 190 is way too high and I need to bring it back down. I am not in pain or short of breath when I jog. Kinda confused. Is 190+ too high?

Sorry for the dumb question, I'm new to all this lol... any advice?

Replies

• fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    The general rule is 220 minus your age to equal your max heart rate. So, for you, that would be 202.

Your Polar FT4's default zone settings are 65% heart rate (low end) to 85% heart rate (high end). Your FT4 is likely going off when you hit 172 beats per minute. If you don't feel this is too high, you can adjust these figures in your settings.

I'm curious, what sort of sound does the HRM make? Is it loud? Is it high pitched or low pitched?

I also have the FT4 and have hit my 85% a couple of times. Even though I have my sound setting as "on" I haven't heard the monitor go off. Both times that I hit the top limit I was wearing headphones, so that's probably why. It could also be that I have some hearing issue. I can usually hear high-frequency sound without a problem, it's those lower-pitched sounds that I have a problem with.

Do you get any sounds when you move into the zone, at the low end? Or is it only when you pass the max percent setting?
  • K398
    K398 Posts: 13 Member
    Fresh, if I have the sound "on', it makes a sound any time you move out of the zone on either side. It is a distinct, sort of odd sound; not a beep, but it is not very loud at all. In fact, it is pretty hard to hear in my opinion. If you work out to music or are on a moderately loud piece of equipment such as a ergometer (rowing machine) or treadmill, you are likely not to hear it. I ended up just shutting it off because of that.