saggy skin gone? I like to know...

Options
Hi, I am right at the start of what I know is a long term project , I have at least 70lbs to go and probably more. I have yo-yo'd (mainly big) my whole adult life so believe me when I say IT'S ALL BAGGY, SAGGY AND WOBBLY.

I would really like to see pics if anyone has beaten the wobbly arms and tum especially.
I'm not looking for a miracle, I know (I've seen the posts) that it takes a HUGE amount of dedication, power and sweat to get tight but I'm inspired and I'd love a beacon of hope- that without surgery I COULD get rid of some seriously saggy arms as well as my tum. I honestly hope that I can view this as life change and post some great "After" pics in a year or so in the mean time....people give me some hope...have YOU banished the sag for good?

thanks for reading this, :flowerforyou:

Replies

• HungryKoala
    Options
    Imma wearing compression suit when I sleep while I'm losing weight, they are supposed to be great for keeping skin tight!
  • 1JenMilam
    1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ZETAZEN
    ZETAZEN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    From what I understand saggy skin comes from losing weight from cardio and not doing any strength training. When you do a lot of exercise from cardio not only will you lose fat, but you'll lose muscle. Building muscles will help to burn fat and give your body a toned appearance not a saggy one.
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm inspired and I'd love a beacon of hope-

All I can say is I saw "I'd love a bacon of hope".

<.<
  • Tash128
    Tash128 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

<.<

I saw that too!
  • CALABRESE3
    CALABRESE3 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    From what I understand saggy skin comes from losing weight from cardio and not doing any strength training. When you do a lot of exercise from cardio not only will you lose fat, but you'll lose muscle. Building muscles will help to burn fat and give your body a toned appearance not a saggy one.

I have to agree since all I did was cardio, cardio cardio and I got very saggy:(( Now Im lifting and looking way more toned...Wish I would have done that in the beginning!
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't lift often, but when I do, I lift as heavy as I can for 8 reps. I'm finding the skin - although loose, because I'm fat, it isn't saggy. Maybe try that?
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    *bump* as I'd like to know. desperately body brushing and lifting here.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It's good to look for motivation, I think, but in the end there's no predicting how your body will look. We're all different, there are so many variables.

Aim to build as much muscle as you can within whatever constraints you have to fill in as much space as you can. If you've got some cash there are temporary laser tightening procedures to mitigate some of what's left. Accept the rest. Nothing else to do, right?

What you can definitely expect is moving better, feeling better, sleeping better, having more energy, a leaner line, improved attention, memory, digestion, posture, probably more clothing choices, and probably an increased libido. End result will be hot :) Stick to it. Quit smoking if you do (I'm working on it), eat a good amount of veg, wear sunscreen, work hard, and judge yourself against yourself :)
  • susan_skipper
    Options

<.<

I saw the exact same thing!
  • Pumpkinguy13
    Pumpkinguy13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of Protein and lift heavy weights. Keep progressing with your weight-loss. Aim for like 1 lb a week so you keep your calories up when doing heavy lifting. Eventually it should look much better. Some people just have a little of that though.

There are tons of intense strength training programs around. the 5x5 called starting strength is pretty hyped. It incorporates a lot of barbell training which makes you look and feel fantastic.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

<.<

I saw that too!

LOL
  • TexasBridgett
    TexasBridgett Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Strength training is key. Although not heavy lifting (heavy lifting would be with a weight that you could only complete 5 or so reps) aim for a weight that you can complete 12-15 reps, and 2 sets (eventually 3 or 4 sets). I hired a trainer at my gym who has educated me A LOT about strength training.

I assumed that since I was overweight, it was pointless to lift weights. I was already lifting enough weight as it was! Turns out, building muscle while losing weight is beneficial for more than just looks. It helps you burn more calories throughout your day. And did you know that for at least an hour after lifting weights your body burns twice as many calories?

I'm not expert by any means, but it's working for me. I lift weights at least 4 times a week, and do cardio right afterward for 30-45 minutes. I've only lost about 40 pounds, but so far my skin is shrinking and not hanging or looking deflated. I currently weigh about 10-15 lbs more than my lowest recent weight, but am already wearing a size smaller than I was at that weight. It's all about building lean muscles!

Also. WATER! Drink a gallon of water a day!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What about slightly saggy skin on your face. I've noticed my cheeks seem to have more smile lines since I've lost weight.
  • HungryKoala
    Options
    Scrub yo face twice a day, moisturize and push skin upward.
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm old, late 60s, lifted a lot most of my life. (Plus, if you are 200 lbs overweight, you are lifting big time every step and move you make.) IMO, your skin loses its elasticity the older you are and the longer it has been stretched out from overweight. Plus genetics and gender, my mother and sister sagged/sag, and my father and I not so much. So do I sag less from all that lifting? Or because I was born luckier? Who knows?
  • LilChamp82
    Options
    I have the same problem...
    I lost 4,5 stone in 4 month (due to circumstances...not eaten at all the first week made me lose 9lb!) That is before MFP...no exercise...I pretty much could class it as an eating disorder...
    After losing all that weight I was left with a saggy belly and abs...and bottom *sigh
    I managed to put some more weight on..after getting told off by my doctor!
    I'm on a healthy diet now and in need to tone up!
    So I'm going to the gym at least twice a week and do ab's training whenever I can. I have only just started to do so...so i don't see anything as of yet.
    I heard/read that drinking loads of water helps the skin as well!
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    BTW, lifting without enough cardio or calorie control (me) doesn't lose you any weight. Just watch the power-lifters next Olympics.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    you know when knicker elastic goes? they've been over stretched and the elastic just never recovers. sometimes skin does that and nothing you eat or exercise will fix that. there are a few surgical & non-surgical fixes you'd need to see a doc about.

on the other hand, sometimes the elastic isn't ruined but just takes a bit of time to shrink back. if it's been stretched out for years, you can't expect it to ping back in an instant.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!