I just don't want to do it today!

I've been forcing myself to make time to exercise for almost a week straight...I know not a huge amount of time, but everyone here has just started out at one time, right?

Today I am totally lacking the motivation to do anything. I did day three of my squat challenge because I said I would do it with a group of others, so I did it. I'm supposed to run for 40 minutes, do my 30 pushups and 60 sit ups. I just don't want to.

I've been under my calories for the past two days, yesterday by quite a bit, so I know that I don't HAVE to exercise today, but I don't want to get out of the routine I'm trying to set for myself especially since time isn't something I have a lot of.

I'm sure everyone has felt this way before, how do you make yourself do it?

Replies

• Hi HPL, the way you get through it is to have a workout buddy. When you are working out with someone the idea of accountability is in the forefront of your mind. There is someone there counting on you to do your workout. You learn to rely on each other and push each other. It doesn't have to be someone you physically workout with together at the same time. I live in NY and I have a friend in Texas and we push each other to workout. When she is having a busy day with the kids and school I tell her to squeeze in a 20 minute or 15 minute HIIT workout. She knows how good it is for her so she does and I work out because as a coach I know people count on me to be an example for them. If you want I could help you.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Make a deal with yourself.

Do just ten sit-ups and then you can do something else. Maybe bargain then you'll just do another ten. Odds are you'll find it's not so bad once you've started.

I bargain on the way to the gym. I'll have a swim/sauna/just a light workout. Or I'll just do ten minutes cardio today. Or........

It usually means I find myself coming out of there two hours later having worked my butt off.
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    I've been forcing myself to make time to exercise for almost a week straight...I know not a huge amount of time, but everyone here has just started out at one time, right?

Today I am totally lacking the motivation to do anything. I did day three of my squat challenge because I said I would do it with a group of others, so I did it. I'm supposed to run for 40 minutes, do my 30 pushups and 60 sit ups. I just don't want to.

I've been under my calories for the past two days, yesterday by quite a bit, so I know that I don't HAVE to exercise today, but I don't want to get out of the routine I'm trying to set for myself especially since time isn't something I have a lot of.

I'm sure everyone has felt this way before, how do you make yourself do it?

At least get out and walk, and you will find yourself bored, so you will run, then do your push-ups and sit-ups afterwards.
  • booker2shoes
    booker2shoes Posts: 50 Member
    I always tell myself that I've frequently regretted NOT working out, but have NEVER regretted doing it.
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Do you have any rest days coming up? That's how I get through tough workouts, by reminding myself that I'll be able to take a break after a few days
  • ohmohner
    ohmohner Posts: 29 Member
    It's always a mind game -- you just gotta know how to play it :smile: Anytime I don't feel like working out or running, I tell myself just go for a walk, or just do the elliptical on a lower setting, basically allowing myself to have a lazy workout :bigsmile: . But I swear, everytime I do that, I wind up getting a real work out in! Just needed the mind games to get me there :wink: So maybe just go for a walk, and if you feel up for it, start to run, or just walk longer... Anything is better than nothing when you are struggling!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Ive had dates like this.
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Rest day is Thursday...just seems so far away!

I'm going to do it...it is true, I have regretted not doing it, but I have never regretted doing it. Better knock the pushups out now...I'm going to do everything spaced out instead of all around the same time. At least it will still get done!
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Ive had dates like this.

LOL! I think you meant days. But I have had dates like that too!

Anyway, Just do it. I have regreted not working out, but I have never regreted working out.
  • FitBlackChick

I'm going to do it...it is true, I have regretted not doing it, but I have never regretted doing it. Better knock the pushups out now...I'm going to do everything spaced out instead of all around the same time. At least it will still get done!

That's the spirit! :)
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Ive had dates like this.

LOL! I think you meant days. But I have had dates like that too!

Anyway, Just do it. I have regreted not working out, but I have never regreted working out.

no, no. I meant dates.
  • FitBlackChick

That's the spirit! :)

Also, it might help to have rest days more often. When I first started, I worked out 6 days in a row and then rested on then 7th day. After a while, it got so hard to work up the mental strength to keep going. So I started resting every 3 days instead. So I still work out the sam number of days a week (i.e 6 out of 7 days a week), but it feels less stressful :)
  • HPLW0705
    I am trying to run Monday-Wednesday, rest Thursday and Friday, run Saturday, and rest Sunday. I'll do the pushups, situps, and my squat challenge even on rest days, that's not really high impact and doesn't take long to really knock those out. If this schedule doesn't work, I can always adjust! Thanks for the info!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    When I eat low on calories, my workouts suffer. I don't want to go, and then when I get there, I'm constantly watching the clock and wanting the workout to be over.

Let me tell you, I LOVE the gym. So when I don't want to go, it's because I didn't fuel properly. Listen to your body. If you are weak, you may not be eating enough. If you are sore, then you may need a day off. You even said you were below on your calories.
  • HPLW0705
    I did my 40 minutes on the treadmill and the push ups and the sit ups...I definitely feel better having done it. Thanks everyone for your motivation!
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    That's it! Congrats on getting it done.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I never want to work out, but every time I do it, I'm glad I did.

Even if you don't do the full workout, sometimes it helps to do at least something just to keep the habits in place. So, if you usually do 10 pushups, do maybe 5 just so you can say you did some. Know what I mean?
  • n2meuc2
    n2meuc2 Posts: 6 Member
    I've been in a funk as well with the exercise and eating for the past 2/3 days. What I have come to realize working overtime and my regular LONG shifts (12hrs+) def has plays a role in this. When I work too much I am tired and then become unmotivated to cut my sleep, get up and go work out.

I am glad that I realized this. Today although I ate bad (junk food) I did get proper rest. Tomorrow I WILL get into the gym. Yeah for self honesty, and positive decision making!

Thanks for listening!
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Just do it.

I'd be willing to bet that you'll feel so much better that you did.

Before long, you'll be so accustomed to it that you can't WAIT to do it and when you DON'T do it, you'll feel like crap.

Change patterns, change behaviours, change thoughts! Worked for me! :)

Best wishes.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    i hate getting up and going to the gym, but once im there, im fine! just do it!