Heart Rate Monitor calorie count

Options
I just tried my new heart rate monitor today. It is a Polar F6 with a strap. I'm so glad to finally have one, but I'm disappointed in the machines at our gym. I knew the calories burned would not be the same, but I didn't expect to have the machines over 100 calories off! :noway: I've read that machines are usually overestimating what we actually burn, but this was quite a bit! According to my HRM, I'm only burning a bit over half of what the machine is telling me! :explode: I'm keeping my heart rate up & everything. I'm just disappointed that the machine made me believe this whole time I was burning a lot more! I'm glad I have lost weight this whole time, I'm just ranting. Has anyone else seen a huge difference in their HRM calorie burn & the machine's?

Replies

• tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the machines. If you can enter your own personal information into it, then it gets pretty close. But otherwise, it uses an average woman's weight, height, etc. to record the data based on how hard you work. I only burn half of what my treadmill says I do...but I'm ok with that because I know my HRM is more accurate so I wear it even when on machines and I pay no attention to what they say I burn.

You must have been doing something right in order to lose weight! Great work!!! Keep it up!
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    had the same surprize! I've had my f6 for about 10 months now but for the first two months of my program I didnt use one and just went off the numbers from the machine (stupid me, how was the machine supposed to know how much I was burning!!)

it is disappointing at first but hey it is what it is right!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You need to approach your F6 with a certain level of skepticism, the same as you do with machines. In order to get the most out of your Polar, you must:

1. Determine your actual maximum HR and program it into the watch.

2. Determine your actual resting HR and program it into the watch.

3. Determine your actual VO2 max and program it into the watch.

4. Update your watch if your VO2 max or weight changes.

Even with that, there will still be some variance because individuals can have different HR responses to different types of exercise, and there are factors that can change HR response, such as cardiovascular drift, that HRMs cannot detect.

Depending on the total number of calories burned and the length of time exercising, a 100 Calorie discrepancy is not unusual at all.

At best, HRMs are about 80%-85% accurate. Some machines are that accurate as well, but many aren't.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    You need to approach your F6 with a certain level of skepticism, the same as you do with machines. In order to get the most out of your Polar, you must:

Even with that, there will still be some variance because individuals can have different HR responses to different types of exercise, and there are factors that can change HR response, such as cardiovascular drift, that HRMs cannot detect.

Depending on the total number of calories burned and the length of time exercising, a 100 Calorie discrepancy is not unusual at all.

At best, HRMs are about 80%-85% accurate. Some machines are that accurate as well, but many aren't.

I agree, it's a fact that updating these stats on your heart rate monitor is very important. I bought one because the machines I use are not programmable so therefor I can only get as close as possible with regards to an accurate calorie count using my HRM. With that in mind, it's very close to an actual for the money invested.
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I did program my age, weight, height, & even birthdate in. It did take my resting heart rate, but I guess I will have to put the other information in. Thanks a bunch for all the info!
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Hi ,
    I need some help please. My Polar is due any day now and I'm very excited about getting a more accurate reading about my fitness level and calorie expenditure. all of this info is new to me and I am trying to understand how to use all of this and why it's important. I don't understand VO2 max - and can someone please explain it to me?
    I calculated my Resting HR at 60 BMP (sitting and standing) my MHR is 173 BPM (220 -47, my age) Target HR should be 121-147 bpm (70-85% of MHR). I need to be exercising in my target HR in order to make the most of my workouts.
    Why would it be better to work out at my target rather than at my max (aside from the fact that I may injure myself)? I always throught it would be better to push yourself harder.

Any info appreciated and Thanks,
    Janet :heart:
  • MattySparky
    Options
    You will burn more fat at a moderate heart rate. Your polar will show this to you in the report. If I run at a constant pace at 85% of my max for 25 min, about 35% of the cals burned would be fat. If I run at a constant pace at 60% of my max, that number almost doubles. With that said, I usually run in intervals because I've learned that it's better to train your cardio system to be able to function well in a variety of ranges during the same workout. Basically if all you are ever doing is getting your heart rate up and keeping it constant, eventually it isn't challenging your heart, lungs etc.. anymore. They simply get used to it. I'd rather train my body than simply get it used to something.