New to Chia Seeds

Options
I bought chia seeds for the first time, and made the gel. I added it to blended berries... But does chia gel do any good in your body if its mixed up? Is blending it with berries breaking it up too much so it's not gel anymore? I want to benefit the best I can from it.

Replies

• rumplesnat
    Options
    Can't help you. Had a chia protein bar the other day and spent the next 4 hours picking seeds out of my teeth.
  • MaryJanean
    MaryJanean Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just heard about Chia Seeds...what are they good for? and are they the same as Chia Pet Seeds?
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried making the gel yet, I just sprinkle the seeds in practically all my meals. They start to form the little gel in your tummy, making you feel fuller. They also contain a lot of fiber and omega-3's and in general pack a good amount of nutrients for the calorie content. My personal favorite thing about them is they make me feel fuller when I sprinkle them on every meal. I'm pretty devoted to them for that reason now. But as another poster said- check your teeth after (especially if you are like me and put them on a work lunch salad!!)

I've heard that the gel can be used really effectively as an egg substitute in baking, but have yet to try it.
  • Fit147
    Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Supposed to be good source of protein. But I can't go there personally. I keep seeing this commercial of a Chia Pet Elmer Fudd in my head and find I am not interested.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I just heard about Chia Seeds...what are they good for? and are they the same as Chia Pet Seeds?

Exact same thing. LOL
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've never made them into a gel but I add them to my morning yogurt (honestly it reminds me of sprinkles!) or on a cracker thing with almond butter. You can get the nutrients from it in any form, I believe flax seed needs to be ground to be useful but chia seeds can be eaten whole.
  • becjovincent
    becjovincent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I bought some, but always forget to incorporate them... I need to add it more often to my smoothies.
  • aangelo
    aangelo Posts: 1
    Options
    mix it in with some coconut milk and let it form into the gel. Then cut up some banana's, pineapple and add some of the coconut Chia seeds ontop and you are in Heaven. Also you can crumble some granola or oat biscuit on top.