Blueberry Blues.....

Options
FUELERDUDE
FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
I have tried to make blueberry smoothies twice now, and the milk/yougurt has curdled. I have to make the smoothies the night before (I eat them for breakfast) and place them in the fridge ( I will sometimes freeze them overnight too, but have not froze the blueberry smoothies yet). I use 2 cups no-fat Active Fit Vanilla Yogurt, 1 cup Skim Milk, and 2 cups of bluberries. What is it that is making it curdle? Any suggestions? Will freezing instead of refrigirating help? I do not have this issue with any of the other smoothies I make (same way, just different fruit).

Replies

• annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Guess would be some sort of acid in the blueberries making the milk curdle (similar thing happens when I add lemon juice to milk when I need a substitute for buttermilk).

From some quick reading, pectin in the blueberries solidifies the curd.
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I thought it may have been the acid in the blueberries, but was unsure. I will have to save the blueberry smoothies for the weekends. My wife would kill me if I fired up the blender at 3am to make my breakfast. (LOL at thought of her reaction, and of the wrath she'd bring down upon me.).