C25K stuck and I have big races coming up...!

Options
124»

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

That 30sec interval of walking is because I ran into the machine and accidentally turned it off... :-\

The reason why I'm playing with my speed is the fact the the c25k goal is 5k in 30mins. Week 9 I'm supposed to be able tl bust that out regularly, aren't I?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    nice to know i'm not the only one who's run into the machine turning it off.

as for running a 5k in 30 minutes. yes it's doable however i personally have yet to run a 5k in 30 minutes and i've done a bunch of races up to a 10k. i wouldn't sorry about what the program tells you you're supposed to do.
  • fjc1968
    Options
    YAYYYYY I DID IT, W5D3 completed, but only just!! Slowed down to 5mph and finished the 20 min run, never thought it was possible. Bring on week 6 x
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Wait until you make it past the next milestone and finally make it to 5k! I was so proud of myself with each accomplishment and I ALWAYS said I would never be a runner - I even told my friend she was crazy when she started c25k. Now, two months later, I've run my first 5k and I like it.

I noticed on the c25K app once where it said complete 5k - 30 minutes. I thought hah! I know that 30 minutes is probably doable at some point, but that's a pretty fast pace for someone just starting to run.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Lots of good comments. If you run out side you need to self pace yourself. I would try the treadmill at 5.0 and see how you do.

As noted, a lot of this is mental, you just can't give yourself permission to quit. As long as you as not gasping for air from going too fast, you'll be just fun.

YOU CAN DO THIS.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Maybe slow up a little till you can get to the point of running that long straight. Once you get the endurance down then work on speed.

THIS^

I agree. Slow your pace. You can do it. I completed a C25k program in 9 weeks (we did a supplemental week). The 20 minutes and 30 minute runs were the hardest, but you can do them. It is as much mental as physical. No matter how slow your pace is, don't let yourself stop running...even if brisk walkers could pass you. Once you cross that mental boundary of running the full 20 minutes, you'll know you can do it again.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Run as slowly as you walk. I think I might have done my W5D3 run somewhere between 3.5 and 4.0. Once you get through the program, you'll speed up automatically and you'll be able to run 30+ minutes at a time.

If you aren't on a low-carb diet and you're getting enough Vitamin D and iron, you probably don't need to fix your diet. If you are running at a comfortable pace you can sustain for 30 minutes, you will still feel fatigued. It's your body's way of protecting its fat stores. More likely, though, you're feeling fatigued because you need to slow down.

I can't run a 5k in 30 minutes yet. However I did run one in 40 minutes while pushing a double stroller with my two toddlers :)